Negative article on AOL homepage today 9/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

SikVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2010
Cali
Your Kids Buy E-Cigs; Do You Know What's in Them?

E-Cigs: Popular With Kids, but What's in Them?

(Sept. 16) -- Two eighth-grade girls carrying their pink cell phones and a tan envelope with cash stopped at a stand in a far corner of the sprawling Union Station in Washington, D.C.

The one-table kiosk offered individual electronic cigarette for $20 and "complete starter packs" with multiple flavors for $140. The girls, who had ridden Amtrak from Philadelphia, bought an assortment for themselves and some friends.

"They're very grown-up, you know," one girl said.

There is a nationwide prohibition on selling tobacco products to anyone under 18, but AOL News was unable to find any federal laws that ban the sale of these nicotine-dispersing faux cigarettes to children, despite growing concerns about the safety of the products by health experts and the public.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
The thought crossed my mind, what if he did not witness the woman in the photo making this sale to 8th graders (and I have to wonder whether the author witnessed this in person or whether the story is aprocryphal.) Did he actually witness the woman whose picture is featured selling to these 8th graders? If he did not, it casts some very bad unfounded aspersions on her character.

PlanetScribbles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
Londinium, Brittania
The thought crossed my mind, what if he did not witness the woman in the photo making this sale to 8th graders (and I have to wonder whether the author witnessed this in person or whether the story is aprocryphal.) Did he actually witness the woman whose picture is featured selling to these 8th graders? If he did not, it casts some very bad unfounded aspersions on her character.

It also begs the question "Set up?". Like someone just happened to be there, waiting to take a pic of the vendor? Like they knew an 8th grader was going to be appearing any moment? BS.

Dirtybutts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
West Point, New York
Just came to post this same story...It is very upsetting to read such a one sided story, and sad to know this is the type of info the world is getting. Stories like this cause people to form an instant oppinion and I dont think that is a good thing. Shame on AOL for not trying to do a fair representaion, and shame on the vendors that sold to 8th graders..with scum bags like that around it will be no time before we have to buy on the black market.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I still say that a knowledgeable, unbiased source appearing on multiple news outlets is what we need. Rush fits that description, but we need more press exposure to the truth about Ecigs. I'd welcome unbiased testing, unlike what the FDA did in their hurried approach to deal with the shipments they seized at the entry point into the U.S.

The comment about diacetyl in butter flavored juices is valid, if it's true. Who knows what Lorann butter flavor has in it? I'm vaping a sample bottle of Ecopure English Toffee flavored juice right now that I'm considering for a larger future order. There's a buttered toffee taste in there and I'd like to know that it is diacetyl free.

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
Two years of regularly scheduled medically prescribed treatments using a well known drug approved by the FDA and paid for by my insurance company poisoned my wife with life-threatening levels of a particular toxin.

The EMTs, ER physicians, FDA, and CDC knew NOTHING about the long-term effects of this treatment even though anyone with a fleeting interest in researching the drug and its uses could clearly see the high risk. We stopped the treatments "AMA" (against medical advice).

Quick, ban my e-cigs.

Big government, small minds. Friggin' idiots.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I'm afraid my comment was rather long, but it took the author to task for reporting propaganda and unfounded fears as if they were facts. The important points were much more evident before AOL removed my paragraph breaks.

What I find disturbing in this article is that speculative fears and propaganda are reported as if they were facts. And some very pertinent and important facts are left out. Facts Left Out: Regarding the court case wending its way thorugh the federal system: At issue is whether e-cigarettes are drug-delivery devices that should be regulated under the Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act (FDCA), or whether the FDA should regulate them under the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act ("Tobacco Act.) The lower court ruled that FDA should regulate the products of the plaintiffs, who made no smoking cessation or other health claims, under the Tobacco Act, given that they are derived from tobacco. The judge's opinion did leave room for regulating some products under FDCA, if the manufacturer wanted to maket them as smoking cessation products. The judge's opinion was rendered in support of granting an injunction against the FDA seizing plaintiffs' incoming shipments of products. The FDA has appealed the injunction and oral arguments are scheduled to be heard Sept 23 in the Appeals Court. Reporting Propaganda: Meanwhile, FDA's public relations department was put to work to come up with a plan to make the FDA look good and the plaintiffs look bad. The FDA held a press conference in July 2009 where it announced that it had found carcinogens and antifreeze in e-cigarette cartridges. One classic propaganda technique involves telling some, but not all of the truth, with the intention of misleading the audience. In this case, the FDA withheld the fact that the amount of so-called carcinogens it found is no larger than the quantity of the same substances contained in FDA-approved nicotine products such as the patch and gum. Furthermore, the FDA's press announcement concentrated on what was found in the liquid form. Reading the actual lab report posted on the FDA web site, we learn that the FDA found no carcinogenic or toxic substances in the vaporized liquid--the form in which the product is actually consumed. That's like getting alarmed about the rum in fruit-cake batter, when all the alcohol is gone by the time the cake is baked. And, although minute traces of nicotine were found in some cartridges labeled no nicotine, there was no nicotine found in the vapor of any of the cartridges labeled no nicotine. At worst, the FDA testing revealed that some improvements are needed in quality control; however it is hyperbole to characterize them as "significant" considering the fact that FDA testing found nothing harmful in the vapor! When FDA spokeswoman Siobhan DeLancey reported short term side effects of using e-cigarettes, again information was left out. The same symptoms can be seen with use of FDA-approved nicotine products as well as tobacco products. She also left out that zero serious adverse events have been reported, and failed to mention that one FDA-approved drug, Chantix, has resulted in numerous serious health problems and some deaths. Unfounded Fears Reported as Fact: Despite Dr. David Egilman rant, there is zero evidence that diacetyl is used as a flavoring agent in e-cigarettes. Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids has repeatedly voiced fears that children would be a major target market for the products. Two published surveys have found that 87% of e-cigarette purchasers are older than 30 and 32% are older than 50. These are people who smoked for decades, tried and failed many times to quit, and are looking for an alternative to inhaling smoke. One survey found that 79% of respondents are using e-cigarettes as a complete replacement for smoking traditional cigarettes, and the other reported that 63% of respondents had recently quit smoking. It is important to note that the fact that the vast majority of e-cigarette users no longer smoke does not mean that e-cigarettes are a "smoking cessation" product. To qualify as an FDA-approved smoking cessation product, the treatment goal must be to achieve nicotine abstinence. The purpose of e-cigarettes is to funciton as a substitute for smoking. Substituting a smoke-free tobacco product such as e-cigarettes or low-nitrosamine Swedish snus for inhaling smoke reduces the risk of smoking-related disease by up to 99%., If the FDA were regulate the products of companies that make no health claims under the Tobacco Act, the products would automatically come under Federal law prohibiting sales to minors.

skylar

Aug 17, 2010
Washington
Read both the article and the comments, thanks to all who left one. I couldn't get mine to post. This is the kind of idiotic reporting that hurts us and it seems about as well researched as half the drugs the FDA approves. Someone left a comment about vaping stating that they quit on Chantix and we should all do the same. On my way downtown while on Chantix I thought it a wonderful idea to run my car off a cliff!!!!! I didn't do it but called my doc and he had me stop immedietely. I came to find out that not only I but many folks have huge issues with Chantix and the crazy dreams are just a minor.

So if the FDA has their way I should run my car off a cliff or kill myself smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Panini

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2010
Texas
I still say that a knowledgeable, unbiased source appearing on multiple news outlets is what we need. Rush fits that description, but we need more press exposure to the truth about Ecigs. I'd welcome unbiased testing, unlike what the FDA did in their hurried approach to deal with the shipments they seized at the entry point into the U.S.

The comment about diacetyl in butter flavored juices is valid, if it's true. Who knows what Lorann butter flavor has in it? I'm vaping a sample bottle of Ecopure English Toffee flavored juice right now that I'm considering for a larger future order. There's a buttered toffee taste in there and I'd like to know that it is diacetyl free.

This is a totally valid concern. I was actually looking into this yesterday due to a completely different post and went to the FlavourArt website. Their flavors DO contain diacetyl -- in minute amounts. See Diacetyl - Flavourart

Update: To say, I still believe the article was completely one-sided, that close to zero research was done in order to represent the benefits of e-cigarettes, etc. Apparently, depending on a source who changes their name at random is the best he could do. Everyone here knows it takes very little digging to find the studies that this "source" never got back to him with.

Last edited:

FyreDragon

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
Left my comment and rated several others.

Darned, but these agenda-pushing, sensationalistic "journalists" regurgitating the propaganda line sure can get my dander up in a hurry! LOL

However it's some comfort to know that there at least a few other people around who can still think for themselves. (i.e. present company ;) )

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
This is a totally valid concern. I was actually looking into this yesterday due to a completely different post and went to the FlavourArt website. Their flavors DO contain diacetyl -- in minute amounts. See Diacetyl - Flavourart

Their flavors, intended to be used in food do contain idacetyl. Are there companies selling juice that contains any of these flavorings? The web site gave some calculations, but it was unclear what % of the e-juice they were figuring consisisted of their flavoring. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong about this) that flavoring makes up 10% or less of the volume of e-jjuice.

Panini

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2010
Texas
Their flavors, intended to be used in food do contain idacetyl. Are there companies selling juice that uses any of these flavors? The web site gave some calculations, but it was unclear what % of the e-juice they were figuring consisisted of their flavoring. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong about this) that flavoring makes up 10% or less of the volume of e-jjuice.

I think you're right. The disclaimers throughout the page lead me to believe that some flavors do contain trace amounts and this amount is further diluted by the fact that we don't vape the flavor alone. I don't believe all of their flavors contain it either. Just the ones they listed. But this is an interesting, and new, angle that I haven't seen yet so I wanted to check it out.

IMWylde

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2010
USA
Their flavors, intended to be used in food do contain idacetyl. Are there companies selling juice that contains any of these flavorings? The web site gave some calculations, but it was unclear what % of the e-juice they were figuring consisisted of their flavoring. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong about this) that flavoring makes up 10% or less of the volume of e-jjuice.

I think this should read Some of their flavors intended to be used in food do contain adacetyl. Right?

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
And I wonder where AOL gets some of their funding??? This article is rubbish and not even fit for a toliet paper holder if printed. But since it was posted on AOL and people see it on the Web then it must be true right????? How do you fight stupid. Even scarier is people like this writer and the lemmings that read crap like this and take it as fact are allowed to breed and create others just like themselves. Nice job for those who posted (on AOL) well thought out replies and stated facts about vaping and e-cigs. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread