Never really knew how much PG/VG ratio affected how a tank wicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
So I've been using MAX VG liquids almost exclusively in my Kayfun 3.1 clone. When I first got it it honestly took me a week to figure out exactly how much cotton to use, how to place it, what size coil, how many wraps, etc. I figured I was doing something wrong, which I was at the time. I just couldn't get the wicking down.

Eventually, I found a way to use a very decent amount of cotton so as to hold enough juice for a long pull if I wanted to do so, but small enough/shaped in a way that wouldn't block air from escaping out of the juice channels. After I figured it out, I ran 20ml of MAX VG through my piece of cotton with no problems.

Well, today I ran out of my MAX VG juice, so I had to grab something else out of my box of goodies. I settled on a blueberry/grape flavor, and went to work meticulously wicking my coil, taking about 20 minutes to get it perfect (little things irk me beyond belief).

I was used to waiting about 10-15 seconds between pulls to make sure the air escaped and juice got to the wick. Now with this 50/50 blend, I feel like I wasted so much time trying to set up a wick that I didn't need to; this stuff wicks without me even trying. It seems like I could hold the button for 10 minutes and it still would keep up (not going to try it of course)

Now then, here's the nubcake question; when I use my MAX VG liquid, I tend to make the draw slightly tighter to pull more juice in, and when I go to clear it I inhale a little bit harder. Does anyone have any experience using MAX VG in an RTA system? Do you have to wait 10 seconds or so (maybe a bit less depending) between pulls, or not at all? Can you chainvape one pull after the other for a couple of minutes, or at least 1 minute? If not, how do you set up your wick so that you can constantly chain vape MAX VG? Might I still be doing something wrong, or is this just the way it has to be with MAX VG?

Granted 10-15 seconds between pulls is really not long in any case, but sometimes I forget and take a few puffs one after the other after the other, and it gets to a slight dry-ish hit. I want to make sure I'm getting the most satisfaction I can out of this, so if there is a way to literally chain-vape (because I'm pretty close to that already) could anyone let me know?

I thought It was wicking fantastic for MAX VG, but now that I have this 50/50 and can basically vape without stopping whatsoever if I wanted to, I'm not sure that is the case.

Yeah, stupid question I know. But oh well. If this belongs in wicking I apologize, but I was asking this specifically regarding an RTA so I figured it would go here.

350ZMO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
Alabama
www.ecigarette411.com
Does anyone have any experience using MAX VG in an RTA system? Do you have to wait 10 seconds or so (maybe a bit less depending) between pulls, or not at all? Can you chainvape one pull after the other for a couple of minutes, or at least 1 minute? If not, how do you set up your wick so that you can constantly chain vape MAX VG? Might I still be doing something wrong, or is this just the way it has to be with MAX VG?

Granted 10-15 seconds between pulls is really not long in any case, but sometimes I forget and take a few puffs one after the other after the other, and it gets to a slight dry-ish hit. I want to make sure I'm getting the most satisfaction I can out of this, so if there is a way to literally chain-vape (because I'm pretty close to that already) could anyone let me know?

Its easy to forget when you get used to something.

100%VG here. No I do not wait, I chain vape. My KF V4 at 18W sustained on a DNA40 set to 410F. What I do is unscrew the drip tip adapter to let the vacuum equalize every so often. Not a problem on a lot of other attys with bigger juice holes. I have sustained close to 40W on a BIG Fogger build.

I use rayon . Cotton expands so use a little less cotton than rayon. Every atty has its limit due to its inherent design. You just have to maximize what it is capable of given its inherent design limitations. A KF like deck where the air hole is above the juice holes, you want the wick touching the juice holes. On a deck where air and juice holes are at same level, you want a mm or two in the juice channel. Designs where the air hole is below the juice channels takes practice in finding the right amount of wick in the juice channels vice outside. The problem with 100% VG I too have found isn't juice flow, rather its reverse air flow back into the tank so a vacuum doesn't build. Thin with a few drops of water or close the air hole and blow.

CrazyCory564

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2014
Yep good trick to thin the viscosity, just a few drops will do it. Ever try vodka or moonshine?

Never. Ever. I won't dilute it with anything. I enjoy the full flavor.

And yes, the problem is usually air escaping; not juice entering (well, both technically)

With waiting 10 seconds between pulls honestly it's almost chain vaping since I am counting from when I release the fire button. I just am trying to see if it was efficient or not at all.

you really don't want the cotton touching the juice holes; that's how they get blocked off so air can't release (at least for me).

Anyways, so you can do a full pull on it as soon as you exhale your last hit multiple times without stopping?

350ZMO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
Alabama
www.ecigarette411.com

And yes, the problem is usually air escaping; not juice entering (well, both technically)

With waiting 10 seconds between pulls honestly it's almost chain vaping since I am counting from when I release the fire button. I just am trying to see if it was efficient or not at all.

you really don't want the cotton touching the juice holes; that's how they get blocked off so air can't release (at least for me).

Anyways, so you can do a full pull on it as soon as you exhale your last hit multiple times without stopping?

Yes. Release vacuum on those attys that need it ie KF style then chain vape no wait. On fogger or kaiser like attys just vape it like you stole it.

With cotton yes you'll want to be a little shy. Cotton swells. I use rayon. Rayon doesn't swell like cotton. With rayon just touching the deck, if it doesn't touch then it will flood.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville

Was he talking DIY or pre made max VG juice ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread