• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

New athiest, wondering how to tell my family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldog63h

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Elizabethton Tennessee
I was raised by a southern baptist family in the belt buckle of the bible belt. There are many places where you can throw a rock from one church parking lot and hit another. If you fall in someones swimming pool, you're coming out baptized.
Anyway, after 29 years, I've given up on my beliefs, but I'm very concerned about how my family will react. Espically my dad. Every conversation comes right back to god. I can't imagine how he would react.
I've got to say, I've never felt more free.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Hi bulldog, sorry no one has responded to your post. Most of the atheists I know usually post in the OUTSIDE part of the forum, where we get involved in all kinds of discussions. You are welcome to come visit us over there. Lots of fun and you better come armored cause things can get wild and crazy.

I am glad you feel free!!!! Congrats!!!

maninblackufo

Feb 6, 2015
texas
I was raised catholic then southerm baptist. And after years of being an athiest, i find it better just to exploit christianity and it's beliefs. I could care less if someone is aware of what i think. I am not interested in coverting anyone to atheism. Most of the time I am more knowledgeable of religious people's religion than they are. Be it islam, christianity, zorastrian, or whatever fairy tale they were bought up on. If i had to bet, I'd bet money the majority of politicians, televangelist, and world leaders that influence millions are all atheist at heart, but they have realized that religion is control. So why not use it to control others? So to answer your question, don't tell your family. In the end it serves you better just to play along. It doesnt mean you have to participate, but let them wallow in their ignorance. And if it should ever serve you, exploit their beliefs for personal gain. Win win, amirite!

bulldog63h

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Elizabethton Tennessee
I was raised catholic then southerm baptist. And after years of being an athiest, i find it better just to exploit christianity and it's beliefs. I could care less if someone is aware of what i think. I am not interested in coverting anyone to atheism. Most of the time I am more knowledgeable of religious people's religion than they are. Be it islam, christianity, zorastrian, or whatever fairy tale they were bought up on. If i had to bet, I'd bet money the majority of politicians, televangelist, and world leaders that influence millions are all atheist at heart, but they have realized that religion is control. So why not use it to control others? So to answer your question, don't tell your family. In the end it serves you better just to play along. It doesnt mean you have to participate, but let them wallow in their ignorance. And if it should ever serve you, exploit their beliefs for personal gain. Win win, amirite!

I just find it unbearable when every single conversation comes back to god and church and my dads incessant "just pray about it and god will take away your schizophrenia." Yes, he actually does say that. I just wish they would give it a rest.

• Love
Reactions: Sloth Tonight

bulldog63h

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Elizabethton Tennessee
Hi bulldog, sorry no one has responded to your post. Most of the atheists I know usually post in the OUTSIDE part of the forum, where we get involved in all kinds of discussions. You are welcome to come visit us over there. Lots of fun and you better come armored cause things can get wild and crazy.

I am glad you feel free!!!! Congrats!!!

Which outside part? Like general discussion and things like that, or what? Sorry, not trying to be dense, I just don't understand what you mean by outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread