The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

New Batteries - Buying Uncharged

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Tommy-Chi, Mar 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Tommy-Chi

Tommy-Chi Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 9, 2015
    Chitown
    Primarily concerned with buying the very best 18650 and 26650 batteries that @Mooch recommends with the following in mind.

If I wanted to buy a 2 year supply of batteries, could it be done? Done safely?

Should I buy them without a charge OR should I allow the shop to charge them up and allow them to discharge, and only charge them when I plan to start rotating them in?

I know that the shops charge them before I get them because they tell me that is what they are doing...then they place them in boxes for sale.

Thanks!

2. MMcQ

MMcQ Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 28, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Best bet for storing batteries long term is at 40% capacity at 0 C. How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University. That's about 3.85 volts according to the link so having the shop charge them and then draining them down should be ok and if stored in a freezer then a moisture barrier should be used. That's only for a year though so I would guess that you should check them after that long and charge up as necessary. Just my opinion though.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tommy-Chi

Sep 9, 2015
    Chitown
  4. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Two years of storage is a long time. Even under perfect conditions you're going to lose some capacity and the internal resistance will go up. How much will be determined by the storage conditions.

• Like Like x 6
  5. sig-cmt

sig-cmt Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2015
    HoustΩn, TX
    Take a look at the technical documents for the cells you plan on purchasing. For the HG2, nominal specifications for shipping storage indicate -20 to 20°C for a period of one year at approximately 40% of a full charge.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tommy-Chi

Sep 9, 2015
    Chitown
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.