New battery: Vapcell 21700 5000mAh 15A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lejouz

Aug 18, 2018
I enjoy the battery section of this forum a lot!! Now I found this battery which has not undergone testing from what I found:
Vapcell batteries, chargers, vape batteries

Is there any test yet?
5b0e6de3ecd3e.jpg

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
New battery, doubtful. They don't manufacture cells.
New wrap, most likely.
From what I have been able to learn, Vapcell commissions a Chinese battery manufacturer to make some of the cells that Vapcell wraps. I seem to recall that Mooch discovered that Vapcell was using a different cell from the ones that he had originally tested. Vapcell responded to Mooch's inquiry by saying their manufacturer had sent them a different cell without notifying them of the change. Don't you just love Chinese business practices?

"They say the factory did it as part of a few changes the factory wanted to make, without telling them. This is completely plausible to me as these factories don’t have customers who care most of the time and these battery wrapping companies rarely spot test or audit their cells, if ever."

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Just me, I'd never use or recommend any rewrap cell other than an AW button top and then only for very specific applications (if they ever reopen their facility).
Same here. Total agreement on those points. :thumb:

I only recommend buying/using authentic batteries made by the Big Four battery manufacturers: Lg, Samsung, Panasonic/Sanyo, and Sony Murata.

In rare cases, a couple of the rewrappers like Vapcell are able to get their hands on a new model from the big four before the name branded cells are available on the market. I guess for those customers who just can't wait a couple of months more to get the brand name cells when they finally reach the market, that's their choice.

However, the Big Four manufacturers only make 18650 batteries. The other size batteries are made by Chinese battery manufacturers. Based on that fact and the often shady practices by China manufacturers, I'll just stick to my above recommendations and 18650 batteries.

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Maybe that was the Manufactures Intent?

We are a tiny, tiny market, not worth something that expensive. They might be missing one of the internal protective devices, a CID or PTC, and so they needed to indent it. These cells were intended for fully monitored and protected battery packs so cell level protection could be removed in order to bring down costs.

Reactions: stols001

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    Same here. Total agreement on those points. :thumb:

I only recommend buying/using authentic batteries made by the Big Four battery manufacturers: Lg, Samsung, Panasonic/Sanyo, and Sony Murata.

In rare cases, a couple of the rewrappers like Vapcell are able to get their hands on a new model from the big four before the name branded cells are available on the market. I guess for those customers who just can't wait a couple of months more to get the brand name cells when they finally reach the market, that's their choice.

However, the Big Four manufacturers only make 18650 batteries. The other size batteries are made by Chinese battery manufacturers. Based on that fact and the often shady practices by China manufacturers, I'll just stick to my above recommendations and 18650 batteries.
    It isn't necessarily always a matter of "can't wait a couple of months more". Take the Vapcell black 38A 2000mAh 18650 for example. Until finally at long last the Samsung 20S superseded it, it used to be the hardest hitting 18650 battery available to us, AND it's a true 30A battery that mops the floor with the LG HB6. As another example, the Vapcell gold 30A 3100mAh 20700 despite it is now only a 25A battery, it still hits noticeably harder than the 5-legged iJoy 20700 (and I also have the original true 30A version of the Vapcell gold 30A 3100mAh 20700 as well). The reason I'm saying this is because the Sanyo NCR20700A is still nowhere to be found, and the same applies to the Sanyo NCR2070C 20700 so no, definitely not just a couple of months. Instead, it could take almost a whole year, possibly even much longer than a year. The iJoy 26650 is yet another perfect example of why good things don't necessarily always come to those who wait. A lot also depends on where you live. If it wasn't for the fact NKON in The Netherlands had the Vapcell rewrap of the Samsung 30T available for preorder some months ago, right now I'd still be waiting to get my hands on the 30T.

That said, some of us high wattage vapers don't really care that much about the fact a rewrap company can change what's under the wrap at any time without warning. I mean, I get how this can be a dealbreaker if you're a new vaper. But as an advanced user there are certain things that I can do to find out how fast my newly bought batteries heat up, like, don't start by immediately screwing on an atty that features a coil build as low as .11 ohms on the mech before comparing battery temperatures to standard known reference choices, such as a whole bunch of verified to be genuine Sony VTC5A batteries. You'd think I can't feel the difference through the body of a copper tube mech between how fast the 25A version of the Vapcell gold 30A 3100mAh 20700 heats up compared to the original 30A version. But then I'd be happy to explain to you that, as a matter of true fact, I can. So I'm not too worried. :lol:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    You'd think I can't feel the difference through the body of a copper tube mech between how fast the 25A version of the Vapcell gold 30A 3100mAh 20700 heats up compared to the original 30A version. But then I'd be happy to explain to you that, as a matter of true fact, I can. So I'm not too worried.
    I would be worried if I could feel my batteries heat up to the point that they could be felt through a mech tube. How hot would the internals of the battery need to be to heat up that much metal? I'm sure it isn't good for the cell, and is fairly irresponsible handling of equipment.

But if that is what you like, keep it up. No one is going to talk you outta anything, that's for sure.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    We are a tiny, tiny market, not worth something that expensive. They might be missing one of the internal protective devices, a CID or PTC, and so they needed to indent it. These cells were intended for fully monitored and protected battery packs so cell level protection could be removed in order to bring down costs.

Could be.

Or it could be that an End User like a Tesla made this a Design Requirement as a means to Streamline the Assemble of their product? And the Unintended effect was to reduce the Functionality of the Cell in a Market that neither the OEM or someone like Tesla wants to be related to?

As you mentioned, these Cells were Not Manufactured for the Direct Consumer market. If one was a Battery OEM, doing a Modification to the Cell's Design that would Reduce one's exposure to the Direct Consumer Market could be viewed as an effective way of Reducing one's Legal Liability. Which in this day and age, all OEM's see as a Necessary part of running a Company.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread