New book by JF Etter: The Electronic Cigarette, an Alternative to Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
New book by JF Etter: The Electronic Cigarette, an Alternative to tobacco
The Electronic Cigarette, an Alternative to Tobacco: Jean-François Etter: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

[h=2]Book Description

Publication Date: November 26, 2012[/h]Sales of electronic cigarettes trebled in the USA every year since 2007. Google searches for “electronic cigarette” now surpass searches for the approved smoking cessation medications, and in the USA, sales of e-cigarettes surpassed sales of smokeless tobacco for the first time in 2012. The market for e-cigarettes reached $500 million in 2012 and is expected to reach $1 billion in 2014 in the USA. E-cigarettes are not just a fashion, they are here to stay. However, there remain many unanswered questions about this growing phenomenon. This short book presents what is currently known about electronic cigarettes and, refill liquids, about their safety and efficacy, about nicotine addiction and smoking cessation and it provides a thoughtful and insightful reflection that should help consumers, health professionals, and decision makers to make wise and balanced decisions about these products.

The author, Jean-François Etter, PhD, is professor of public health at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Geneva in Switzerland. Over the past 18 years, he conducted many research projects in the field of smoking prevention, searched for new ways to help smokers quit, and tried to better understand the phenomenon of tobacco dependence. These research projects were conducted in collaboration with the best teams of researchers in this field, in the USA, the UK, France, Switzerland and other countries. Professor Etter published over 120 original research reports, most of them on tobacco dependence and smoking cessation, in international, peer-reviewed scientific journals. He pioneered research on electronic cigarettes and published some of the very first studies conducted in vapers.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
NorthofAtlanta inquired:

It just hit me, if the projected sales come true won't Ecig sales surpass Pharmas useless crap in 2014?

As measured in nicotine delivery, e-cigarettes have probably surpassed NRT products this year.

As measured in sales revenue, e-cigarettes will probably surpass NRT products in 2013.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
New book by JF Etter: The Electronic Cigarette, an Alternative to Tobacco
The Electronic Cigarette, an Alternative to Tobacco: Jean-François Etter: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

[h=2]Book Description

Publication Date: November 26, 2012[/h]Sales of electronic cigarettes trebled in the USA every year since 2007. Google searches for “electronic cigarette” now surpass searches for the approved smoking cessation medications, and in the USA, sales of e-cigarettes surpassed sales of smokeless tobacco for the first time in 2012. The market for e-cigarettes reached $500 million in 2012 and is expected to reach $1 billion in 2014 in the USA. E-cigarettes are not just a fashion, they are here to stay. However, there remain many unanswered questions about this growing phenomenon. This short book presents what is currently known about electronic cigarettes and, refill liquids, about their safety and efficacy, about nicotine addiction and smoking cessation and it provides a thoughtful and insightful reflection that should help consumers, health professionals, and decision makers to make wise and balanced decisions about these products.

The author, Jean-François Etter, PhD, is professor of public health at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Geneva in Switzerland. Over the past 18 years, he conducted many research projects in the field of smoking prevention, searched for new ways to help smokers quit, and tried to better understand the phenomenon of tobacco dependence. These research projects were conducted in collaboration with the best teams of researchers in this field, in the USA, the UK, France, Switzerland and other countries. Professor Etter published over 120 original research reports, most of them on tobacco dependence and smoking cessation, in international, peer-reviewed scientific journals. He pioneered research on electronic cigarettes and published some of the very first studies conducted in vapers.
I don"t have a Kindle and don"t intend to buy one. Is this available in book form?

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
NorthofAtlanta inquired:

As measured in nicotine delivery, e-cigarettes have probably surpassed NRT products this year.

As measured in sales revenue, e-cigarettes will probably surpass NRT products in 2013.

Thanks Bill, I based my comment on numbers that I had seen on here. This is quicker than I thought.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
After reading some of Etter's new book, I urged him to remove it from Amazon.com and to edit/remove/correct/clarify the many inaccurate, misleading and unsubstantiated claims he makes/repeats about e-cigarettes, to remove the fear mongering language he repeatedly uses to describe e-cigarettes and nicotine, and to remove/change his recommendations that e-cigarettes should be regulated as drugs/devices (which would effectively ban the products), that flavorings should be banned, that e-cigarette use indoors should be banned, and other unwarranted restrictions on e-cigarettes.

I was shocked and dissappointed by Etter's many policy/regulatory proposals that would decimate the e-cigarette industry, and throw e-cigarette consumers (including those who participated in his surveys) under the bus.

But he's done several good studies and surveys on e-cigarettes.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
He requested suggested improvements, so I delineated what I considered inaccurate, misleading and unsubstantiated claims in the first ten pages of his book.

Unfortunately, even if he corrects all of the inaccurate, misleading and unsubstantiated claims, I doubt that he'll change many or most of his policy recommendations, which if implemented would decimate the industry.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
It is likely that Etter's attitude is normal among many, or even most, of the medical profession who support e-cigarettes 'in theory'.

I put it like that because they display the most incredible naivety, as if government support in the form of special regulations is possible where entire departments of government (and certainly those who would be involved in any regulating) are in effect owned by the pharmaceutical and tobacco industries; whose aim is commonly to remove e-cigarettes by any means possible. Although some corporations may be supportive, since they are agile and have solid future planning in place, most individual corporations in these industries are being harmed by e-cigarette sales and will act against ecigs where the opportunity arises.

Some medics appear to have no appreciation of the basic facts:

1. Income streams totalling hundreds of billions of dollars will be switched off by ecigs.

2. That being the case, the health benefits are irrelevant and of absolutely no importance whatsoever at federal level (in any country).

I think that medical schools must imbue a special form of naivety that completely blinds graduates to real-world implications. If something is going to cost the pharmaceutical industry $50 billion dollars or more then don't expect it to get a green light. It doesn't matter if it will cure all cancer and also work as a free energy source - if it hurts pharma and tobacco real bad then it won't play - no matter how good an idea it is.

The very idea of 'light-touch regulations' is so hilariously ridiculous that anyone heard mouthing such drivel should be immediately classed as a blithering idiot. Example: how likely are the FDA to apply LTRs when they are paid by pharma to kill ecigs ASAP?

There is no form of legitimate regulation of e-cigarettes, other than normal consumer protections. Assuming that a country has both effective consumer protection legislation and the mechanisms in place to enforce those laws right down to local level, then ecigs need the same amount of regulation as coffee. If e-cigarettes and e-liquid need special regulations, then so do coffee percolators and coffee beans; there are no functional differences in the issues.

Of course, if there is no effective consumer protection mechanism, and no trade self-regulatory structure, then there could be legitimate calls for some form of regulation. Essentially, that is the fault of the country involved, and of the e-cigarette trade in that country, not that of any individual consumer product such as the e-cigarette.

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
It is likely that Etter's attitude is normal among many, or even most, of the medical profession who support e-cigarettes 'in theory'.

I put it like that because they display the most incredible naivety, as if government support in the form of special regulations is possible where entire departments of government (and certainly those who would be involved in any regulating) are in effect owned by the pharmaceutical and tobacco industries; whose aim is commonly to remove e-cigarettes by any means possible. Although some corporations may be supportive, since they are agile and have solid future planning in place, most individual corporations in these industries are being harmed by e-cigarette sales and will act against ecigs where the opportunity arises.

Some medics appear to have no appreciation of the basic facts:

1. Income streams totalling hundreds of billions of dollars will be switched off by ecigs.

2. That being the case, the health benefits are irrelevant and of absolutely no importance whatsoever at federal level (in any country).

I think that medical schools must imbue a special form of naivety that completely blinds graduates to real-world implications. If something is going to cost the pharmaceutical industry $50 billion dollars or more then don't expect it to get a green light. It doesn't matter if it will cure all cancer and also work as a free energy source - if it hurts pharma and tobacco real bad then it won't play - no matter how good an idea it is.

The very idea of 'light-touch regulations' is so hilariously ridiculous that anyone heard mouthing such drivel should be immediately classed as a blithering idiot. Example: how likely are the FDA to apply LTRs when they are paid by pharma to kill ecigs ASAP?

There is no form of legitimate regulation of e-cigarettes, other than normal consumer protections. Assuming that a country has both effective consumer protection legislation and the mechanisms in place to enforce those laws right down to local level, then ecigs need the same amount of regulation as coffee. If e-cigarettes and e-liquid need special regulations, then so do coffee percolators and coffee beans; there are no functional differences in the issues.

Of course, if there is no effective consumer protection mechanism, and no trade self-regulatory structure, then there could be legitimate calls for some form of regulation. Essentially, that is the fault of the country involved, and of the e-cigarette trade in that country, not that of any individual consumer product such as the e-cigarette.
It has occurred to me that could be the reason that there has been no cure found for any illness, since Jonas Salk found the cure for Polio, in the mid 1950s.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
It has occurred to me that could be the reason that there has been no cure found for any illness,
since Jonas Salk found the cure for Polio, in the mid 1950s.
There's no money to be made in "the cure".
The money is in treatment and drug maintenance.
FDA.jpg

Money, not morality, is the principle commerce of civilized nations.
Thomas Jefferson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread