New breath tester can detect lung cancer with 86 accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredrick

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2009
South Florida (Broward County)
Great link! The link on that page to the Reuters story has some more information in it to.
Gold nanotech breath test may show lung cancer early | World | Reuters

"The device, which the developers say would be cheap enough for everyday use by family doctors, detected lung cancer with 86 percent accuracy and may offer a way to screen for a disease not usually diagnosed until it has spread and is no longer curable."

This was some great info in the link you provided:

"They also suggested the technique could be extended to other forms of cancer.

"Given the impact of the rising incidence of cancer on health budgets worldwide, the proposed technology will be a significant saving for both private and public health expenditure," they say."

That's really good news, but I wish they had an estimate on when the technology would be realistically be put into service on a large scale. Still great news though.

Last edited:

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Hey SS....long time no see!!! Great link!

A friend of mine who quit smoking 2 years ago recently found out she had stage 2 lung cancer. She underwent this new intensive radiation treatment and had to wait 4 months for the results. They came back negative and she was really relieved, and now they just found 2 more spots :(

The only way she knew she had it was at a checkup, she asked the doc for a lung xray.....not for any reason other than she had never had one and just thought at her age, she probably should. Not surprisingly, she was beside herself when she got the results.

So hey, if something like this could help others find out before it's too late, that would be great! Wonder how long it would take for us to see something like this marketed here?

Lu

davidb

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
They dont say how big(just portable), or expensive it would be in the future, but something like this would be really nice if doctors offices could get it. Sadly knowing the US and their approval status(are we still waiting on that HIV swab test thats approved in Canada to be legitimized) it may be awhile after it is in manufacturing to be around.

None the less it is a very cool find, early detection is many things seems to be the key to treatment success :)

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
My mother had lung cancer and had it removed (along with the top lobe of her left lung. The took x rays for over a year before deciding to operate. She probably lit up at night! With this technology, maybe they would have moved faster.
I think the breathalizer's should be part of every checkup! Think we could talk the police into giving us a shot on one of those instead of the other kind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread