New Calculator to try

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
I am somewhat new to DIY and have tried out many of the calculators that are available. While all are very functional, I have observed shortcomings with each and primarily the ability to save a library of my flavors and to associate notes with the individual flavors and recipes. So, I decided to build my own. I have received positive feedback from those who have tried it out and I wanted to make it available to others to use and provide feedback. So here it is.

In the current version:

• Keep a library of all of your flavors.
  • Associate notes with each flavor.
  • Use the drops/ml and get a percentage for recipe usage.
  • Use a pre-mix as a flavor and include its nicotine content in the target calculations.
  • Specify the default percentage of the flavor to use when adding to a recipe.
  • Create a recipe with select flavors from your library of flavors.
  • Add a pre-mix to your recipe and property calculate nicotine, PG and VG levels.
  • Associate notes with each recipe or flavor.
  • Easy access to your existing recipes through a drop down list.
  • Import your existing recipes from ejuice Me Up. Note; you may notice warning messages related to PG or VG levels not being met from imported recipes. ejuice Me Up always reflected VG + PG = 100%, even when ingredients such as water was being added.
  • Add more than 7 flavors to your recipe (no limits).
  • Calculate the total percentage of flavors (excluding Alc, Water) in your recipe as you go.

Below are some screenshots. Also provided is a link to download the application. Be sure to view the “Help -> View ReadMe” for some instructions to get you started. Feedback is welcome. Email me at the address in the “Help -> About” window.

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByHCyknRKMBCWTBwN0ZHVGM4Y00&usp=sharing

Attachments

• Flavor.jpg
    Flavor.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Recipe.jpg
    Recipe.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 101

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
I am somewhat new to DIY and have tried out many of the calculators that are available. While all are very functional, I have observed shortcomings with each and primarily the ability to save a library of my flavors and to associate notes with the individual flavors and recipes. So, I decided to build my own. I have received positive feedback from those who have tried it out and I wanted to make it available to others to use and provide feedback. So here it is.

In the current version:

• Keep a library of all of your flavors.
  • Associate notes with each flavor.
  • Use the drops/ml and get a percentage for recipe usage.
  • Use a pre-mix as a flavor and include its nicotine content in the target calculations.
  • Specify the default percentage of the flavor to use when adding to a recipe.
  • Create a recipe with select flavors from your library of flavors.
  • Add a pre-mix to your recipe and property calculate nicotine, PG and VG levels.
  • Associate notes with each recipe or flavor.
  • Easy access to your existing recipes through a drop down list.
  • Import your existing recipes from eJuice Me Up. Note; you may notice warning messages related to PG or VG levels not being met from imported recipes. eJuice Me Up always reflected VG + PG = 100%, even when ingredients such as water was being added.
  • Add more than 7 flavors to your recipe (no limits).
  • Calculate the total percentage of flavors (excluding Alc, Water) in your recipe as you go.

Below are some screenshots. Also provided is a link to download the application. Be sure to view the “Help -> View ReadMe” for some instructions to get you started. Feedback is welcome. Email me at the address in the “Help -> About” window.

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByHCyknRKMBCWTBwN0ZHVGM4Y00&usp=sharing

'Sounds like a major winner! However, I'm having difficulties installing & opening/running :(

Download was successful. First install told me I needed Microsoft .NET Framework full package (which I'd recently installed for something else) - but I downloaded and installed it again anyway.

After that I ran the .exe again, and it appeared to be successful - the final screen gave me the 'successful' message and an option to start the program...which I chose. But nothing happened.

So: Start --> Programs --> Rod Brown --> EJuiceSetup -->EJuiceCalculator ...choosing the latter. and tried to open it. I get this messagage: (null) is not a valid win32 application

Ran EJuiceSetup again, choosing "Repair" and tried again - same message: (null) is not a valid win32 application

I'm running WindowsXP SP3, and to my knowledge, I have no system problems, viruses/malware, etc.

Any ideas?

Edit: Btw, I'm using Office 2003 -or- Office Libre I just went to Program Files and tried to open it using both the .exe and the .exe.config ...with both programs. XCL won't open at all. Libre opens it, but gives me 'read only' and 2 different .xml options. No matter which I try, it's not looking like anything but a blank spreadsheet with a few random lines of code.

Last edited:

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
So just downloaded the new calculator last night. Unfortunately I am new to this so may not be the greatest help on feedback.

So far I really like the calculator, love being able to add flavors, notes, costs.

Only question I have is I have marked my flavors as "Other" so there is no vg/pg level. On the bottles and website the say "contain flavorings, pg, and ethyl alcohol"

Is this the best option to use? Or should I mark the ingredients as a 100 percent pg so that the calculations come out correct? Because marking the ingredient as "Other" then leaves me with a message of "Unable to add enough VG for desired level"

EDIT: sorry this was a quick answer my own part. I marked the ingredient as flavor, then as 100 percent pg. The calculations then came out the same as ejuicemeup

Last edited:

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
So I just added my flavors to the list (just ordered a whole bunch more to play with last night) and made a second concoction (so far I have come up with Nutty Jack and Earls Fruitea)

I really love this calculator. Besides getting to save my flavors, another big plus is getting to save notes directly to the recipe. I am now able to add notes from first try, and then as they steep.

Also, it showing the cost of the juice made is a huge motivator to keep plugging away at DIY. If I make a 5 ml sample so far it is 29 cents, and a 30 ml is $1.73. This would be even less if I buy my nicotine at a higher dose than 48 for a base.

Great calculator HotRod, thanks for taking the time.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
So just downloaded the new calculator last night. Unfortunately I am new to this so may not be the greatest help on feedback.

So far I really like the calculator, love being able to add flavors, notes, costs.

Only question I have is I have marked my flavors as "Other" so there is no vg/pg level. On the bottles and website the say "contain flavorings, pg, and ethyl alcohol"

Is this the best option to use? Or should I mark the ingredients as a 100 percent pg so that the calculations come out correct? Because marking the ingredient as "Other" then leaves me with a message of "Unable to add enough VG for desired level"

EDIT: sorry this was a quick answer my own part. I marked the ingredient as flavor, then as 100 percent pg. The calculations then came out the same as ejuicemeup

The purpose of the "Other" was to provide a way to add water and other ingredients that do not have flavor. I wanted to identify these separately so that when I calculate the percentage of flavor these values are not included in the total flavor percentage.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
we2rcool,
Thank you for your PM on the issue that you were having. I posted a new version of the calculator removing the requirement for the .NET 4.5 Framework and making it .NET 4.0 instead. This should allow it to run on your Windows XP system. Please let me know if that resolves your issue, I don't have a way to test on Windows XP.
Note to any others that may have already installed the calculator. You will need to go to the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, before installing the update I just posted. Because of the nature of the change I couldn't make it an "upgrade" install. Your saved juice files will still work but you will have to reopen them after the install.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas

I don't think I answered your question in my previous reply:
There are Ingredient Entries for PG and VG automatically created in your ingredients list. The only information you need to provide for them is the drops/ml. It is assumed that they are 100% PG and 100% VG.

For each flavor you can specify a PG/VG/Nicotine level chances are the Nicotine level is always 0 and if your flavor is PG based, mark it as 100% PG (or whatever the combination of PG/VG is).

Other was intended for adding water, vinegar, or any other non-flavor type of ingredient. I assumed that it "other" would always have 0 pg, vg and nicotine. An ingredient marked as other will never be calculated into the total flavor percentage calculation. Most of the time you probably want to mark the ingredient as "Flavor".

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
Thanks HotRod. I was able to get my percentages to match up with the ejuicemeup once I realized I needed to set my flavors as 100% pg.

I really love your calculator. Being able to see the cost of juice made right there as been a major motivator. Also, the ingredient list is great. After a few minutes to input them, now I can just look at the list and descriptions and not dig through all the flavors.

Thanks again, and great calculator.

The purpose of the "Other" was to provide a way to add water and other ingredients that do not have flavor. I wanted to identify these separately so that when I calculate the percentage of flavor these values are not included in the total flavor percentage.

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
LongDraw,
There is one thing to be aware of when comparing the PG/VG percentages to the ejuicemeup calculator. There is a suttle difference in how the PG/VG percentages are calculated. My calculator will calculate the percentages based on total volume in the recipe. Many other calculators calculate the percentage of PG/VG based on the total volume of PG + VG and ignore the other non PG/VG ingredients. For example:
Mix up something with 50% water, 25% PG and 25% VG. What should the PG/VG percentages be? My calculator will tell you that you have 25% PG and 25% VG. Many others will tell you that PG is 50% and VG is 50%.

krawhitham

Verified Member
Jun 17, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
[*]Use the drops/ml and get a percentage for recipe usage.
[/LIST]

Your Calculator is using this I believe

Assume 20 drops per ML
Recipe calls for 1 drop per 5 ML

(1 / 20) / 5 = .01 or 1%

But it does not take into account the fact you are adding these Drops to the mixture and that would change the percentage

Clone Tribeca calls for
10% Double RY4
1 drop per 5ML Acetyl Pyrazine

Lets make 30ml 0mg 50/50

15ml VG
12ml PG
3ml Double RY4

Now it calls for 6 drops Acetyl Pyrazine for the 30ML, but now the recipe is 30.3ml, that added 0.3 messes with the percentages.

The true percentages for Clone Tribeca is

0.9900990099009901 Acetyl Pyrazine
(1 drop) / (per ML + (1 drop)) should be the formula for 1 drop per 5ml. It breaks down to (1/20) / (5 + (1/20))

9.900990099009901 Double RY4
Double RY4 would be recalculated like this
(per ML/% ) / (Per ML + 1 drop) which breaks down to (5/10) / (5 + (1/20))

The differences are not much and unless you are making a LARGE batch it might make no difference at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread