New Calculator to try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
Hello gang, i've looked through and searched the thread but found no mention of my problem.
Ever since 2017 came round, version 8.0.0.8 has not let me put in the date in the "Last made on" field.
Any 2016 date works, but not 2017.

I've noticed that the format has to be what your computer's format is set to (Locale). To find that out for sure, click "Make Recipe" and that will fill out the date field in the format it expects. So when you manually enter in the date, make sure to use that same format - OR change you're system Locale settings to the format you'd like to use [system-wide].

If you're already doing that, I'm not sure what could cause that. .... Unless maybe you're not using a native Windows machine, perhaps??

Last edited:

LAP87

Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Sweden
I've noticed that the format has to be what your computer's format is set to (Locale). To find that out for sure, click "Make Recipe" and that will fill out the date field in the format it expects. So when you manually enter in the date, make sure to use that same format - OR change you're system Locale settings to the format you'd like to use [system-wide].

If you're already doing that, I'm not sure what could cause that. .... Unless maybe you're not using a native Windows machine, perhaps??
It puts the correct date when i use "Make recipe", just like i always written them myself.. but for whatever reason it doesn't accept "2017" when i write it in manually... :s
The reason i don't use make recipe is because the whole reducing inventory bit is annoying, i don't care to keep perfect tabs on my inventory sadly, irl or in JC :p

ps. i am using win 10 creators edition

Reactions: kas122461

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
It puts the correct date when i use "Make recipe", just like i always written them myself.. but for whatever reason it doesn't accept "2017" when i write it in manually... :s
The reason i don't use make recipe is because the whole reducing inventory bit is annoying, i don't care to keep perfect tabs on my inventory sadly, irl or in JC :p

ps. i am using win 10 creators edition

I don't know what could cause that, then...

But as far as using 'make recipe' to keep tabs on inventory.. I don't use it to keep perfect tabs on my inventory - but just general tabs (maybe setting the alarm to ~20ml). It becomes more useful as I collect more flavors. Especially as those flavors get scattered around a bit. Also, I store as many as I can in 4oz amber glass bottles, so I can't see how low some may be be at a glance.

I haven't used this calc long enough to run low on one, so I don't know how accurate things will end up being. But then again, I'm not expecting it to be spot-on, either.. Just a general whereabouts is fine for me.
================

Although I do often have to enter the dates manually when I use 'Modify Existing Recipe' to lower or raise percentages, or add new ingredients to a currently made mix -- and then need to use 'save changes as'.. It doesn't copy over the date, so I need to manually enter it. It accepts any date here (in the format of 'YY/MM/DD').

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Hello gang, i've looked through and searched the thread but found no mention of my problem.
Ever since 2017 came round, version 8.0.0.8 has not let me put in the date in the "Last made on" field.
Any 2016 date works, but not 2017. View attachment 686169
Don't use dashes as your separators (2017-09-16); this will throw the error. Instead, you must use the forward slash (2017/09/16). That should get you working.;)

Some time ago (beginning with version. 6.0.0.6), @HotRod19579 (the author of JC) added "shortcut" keys for the "Last Made On" field. He describes them in the Help file as:
upload_2017-9-16_3-50-39.png

If you just type a "T" (upper or lower case; doesn't matter), as soon as you move your cursor into another field, the Last Made On field will auto populate with today's (current) date. This is handy if you don't want to hassle with remembering what the "correct" format is (or the date for that matter).

I hope that helps!:D

LAP87

Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Sweden
Don't use dashes as your separators (2017-09-16); this will throw the error. Instead, you must use the forward slash (2017/09/16). That should get you working.;)

Some time ago (beginning with version. 6.0.0.6), @HotRod19579 (the author of JC) added "shortcut" keys for the "Last Made On" field. He describes them in the Help file as:
View attachment 686215

If you just type a "T" (upper or lower case; doesn't matter), as soon as you move your cursor into another field, the Last Made On field will auto populate with today's (current) date. This is handy if you don't want to hassle with remembering what the "correct" format is (or the date for that matter).

I hope that helps!:D

OMG, thanks a bunch! that will help me immensely :D

Ed Sause

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2016
Jimmymac said:
" I purchased some premixed PG/VG that is at a 40/60 ratio. Anyway to enter that in my calculations ? Can't seem to figure it out."

It would be easiest to enter it as a flavor. When you create your recipe , don't use the PG or VG sections.

Let us know how that works for you.

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
This might have been answered in this huge thread but I'll ask again if it has been asked.
I purchased some premixed PG/VG that is at a 40/60 ratio. Anyway to enter that in my calculations ?
Can't seem to figure it out.
This is HotRod's most recent reply (that I could find;)), regarding your question:
New Calculator to try
(Post #2409)

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thanks guys. I added it as a flavor.. Don't really know how to do the % for it now to get a total because the PG and VG auto fill.
Yup... that is why HotRod said:
If you mean that you would like to have a PG/VG ingredient which is 30/70 then no, currently the calculator only allows for separate PG and VG entries, each set to 100%.
There are a couple of poor work-arounds that can be cobbled together using a couple of the "simple calculators (JC>Tools>Simple Calculators) but it really doesn't lend itself to saving repeatable recipes. I hate to say it... and I feel like a heretic even thinking it; but this may not be the calculator for your current mixing style.:(
Hopefully he can add that as an option at some point.
I agree; it would be nice. I know there are more than a few DIYers, who prefer to mix this way, and it would only help to broaden the calculator's appeal. Sadly, the author has been incommunicado for nearly the last year, so I have no idea if, or when, it might happen.:confused::(

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
This might have been answered in this huge thread but I'll ask again if it has been asked.
I purchased some premixed PG/VG that is at a 40/60 ratio. Anyway to enter that in my calculations ?
Can't seem to figure it out.
In the ingredient section you simply identify it as nicotine and set your ratio. I assume this is just a nicotine mix. Seems pretty obvious. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
In the ingredient section you simply identify it as nicotine and set your ratio. I assume this is just a nicotine mix. Seems pretty obvious. Perhaps I'm missing something.

This is the way I do it, too.. You'll get some warnings, but it will only show the amount of base you need to add as long as you're recipe-set target nicotine is at or below (if my thinking is clear enough, at the moment :)) the amount of nicotine set in the base you use. What I do is just set the recipe target nicotine to exactly what the base is, and all is well.

In this case, the warnings you get are meaningless - unless you would intend to make up for the difference by adding the separate pg or vg or nicotine.. But that would defeat the entire purpose of using a pre-mixed base in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: IDJoel

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
This is the way I do it, too.. You'll get some warnings, but it will only show the amount of base you need to add as long as you're recipe-set target nicotine is at or below (if my thinking is clear enough, at the moment :)) the amount of nicotine set in the base you use. What I do is just set the recipe target nicotine to exactly what the base is, and all is well.

In this case, the warnings you get are meaningless - unless you would intend to make up for the difference by adding the separate pg or vg or nicotine.. But that would defeat the entire purpose of using a pre-mixed base in the first place.
The only warnings I've seen are when you can't achieve the pg/vg ratio you set because of the pg in the nicotine and the flavors. If your nic is 50/50 and you're adding 25% flavor, you will get a warning if you're trying for 70%vg, because you can't do it. Even with a pure vg nic, you can't go over 75% vg because that 25% of flavor is all pg. In that case there's a handy little drop down that allows you to set max vg and it will figure it out for you.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Okay @Maestro, I am beginning to see how this could work, especially if nicotine is not included in the PG/VG base. I didn't notice the Edit>Adjust recipe to max PG, or VG>... until you pointed it out. How do you contend with the variable nicotine; when the nicotine is included in the base, and you use various flavor percentages?

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
How do you contend with the variable nicotine; when the nicotine is included in the base, and you use various flavor percentages?

Not sure if this part was strictly for Maestro... But my answer on this part is that I simply don't care how exact it matches up. :) In the recipe for my base, I just put in the most I might want it at, which is usually 1.5mg/ml these days. I usually keep my flavorings around 10% or less, so it would usually end up being only ~.15mg/ml less if my math is right, there.. Not enough for me to be feigning and going into withdrawals over. :D

(Just for reference, not that I think it matters, but.. My nic is 100mg/ml in 100% VG (for longest shelf-life), and the pre-mix bases I make at the moment are 1.5mg/ml in both 80pg/20vg and 70pg/30vg.)

IMO, if one is going to deal with pre-mixed bases, nic or no-nic, then they're going to have to know that anything they do is going to throw off exact ratios unless it's for one exact set of mix ratios/circumstances. The only way around that - that I can think of, at least - is to not use pre-mixed bases. :)
... To me all that's important when using bases is that your nic level is near-target, and that your flavor percentages are appropriate for your desired base (i.e. more flavor for high-vg mixes). AFAIK, it's going to be that way no matter which calc is used.

Hopefully if/when Hotrod comes out of hiatus, he can include something that can account for the use of bases - cause it's a frequent feature request (and something I'd be passively curious in knowing, too). But the only thing I can think of for him to do, is to display somewhere the differences.. Like 'desired/set' ratios to 'ended-up-with' ratios.

But we can only hope that HR is okay - and if he is, that he comes out of hiatus to, at the bare minimum, open-source this software. That's one huge advantage to the open-source software scene IMO. If anything unfortunate happens to someone, or that person simply abandons their part in making that software - then someone else can at least pick it up from where they left off. Heck, this software is so amazing that it might even encourage me to figure out how to program. :eek: In the meantime, if people have the means to do so, then please donate.. That might encourage HR to come out of 'retirement' - and besides, this program is already amazing as-is. :)

IIRC, when I first discovered this software, I think HR was just coming out of a haitaus. And I kind of knew that he'd probably go into another after his recent ordeal. ... So I don't think it's unprecedented. But maybe someone that's been around here for longer might remember.

Last edited:

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Okay @Maestro, I am beginning to see how this could work, especially if nicotine is not included in the PG/VG base. I didn't notice the Edit>Adjust recipe to max PG, or VG>... until you pointed it out. How do you contend with the variable nicotine; when the nicotine is included in the base, and you use various flavor percentages?
In the ingredients editor you set the percentage of pg/vg in your nicotine and the level of nicotine, say 100mg. Give it a name, like 100nic. Then when you mix your recipe you select the 100nic in the drop down on the left, set pg and vg ratio just below, set the desired nic level in the upper right, and the math is done. It'll tell you how much more pg and vg to add to dilute the nic to your desired level. If you add some flavors, it'll take that into account as well. It's so basic that I keep wondering if I'm missing something.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
It's so basic that I keep wondering if I'm missing something.

I think we're talking about different things.. As in if the 'OP' just has the pre-mix, no-nic or not - assuming they at least don't have separate pg or vg (he never did mention anything about nic though).
IOW, not having to add any separate nic or pg or vg. As far as I know, the calc doesn't take that kind of thing into account right now, so one has to decide on how to wrangle the calculator to get it to do what we want it to calculate: just the pre-mix(generally in one number) and the flavorings.
The method I posted is one way to easily tackle that, that I use myself (of course). It will give warnings though, which some people may have an 'ocd-like' problem with. To which I say: :p

(ETA: oh.. That could be another way that HR might account for bases, should he return: turn off warnings for when people use a [new] Base type ingredient, maybe under the Nicotine heading. So that, and show 'ended-up-with' indications.)

If we're talking about adding separate nic/pg/vg in addition to the pre-mix, it's as simple as you say (and just setting the nic strength in the nicotine ingredient to zero for no-nic).

Last edited:

Jimmymac

Apr 7, 2009
Ah yeah, It's no problem when I use a VG/PG mix with nicotine already in it. I've used Liquid Barns 3% 70/30 alot and it's easy. You just set the levels in the nicotine and it's done. The problem I have is that I bought a gallon of 60/40 VG/PG with 0 Nic. Hadn't even thought about it before hand. I am mixing it with 48mg Nic in 100% PG. Want around 3mg nicotine and the pg/vg ratio doesnt matter. it's lowered by the flavoring anyway.

Would be a nice feature. Maybe I'll have to mix the PG/VG with the nic in 500 ml batches by eye.. Dunno

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread