new carto puncher - under $1 to build

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinifreak

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2011
I really hate using a saddle valve. It was a great and cheap idea, but it creates a pocket/dent on the carto, which makes it hard to insert into the tank (as mentioned in a previous post). I am hoping that this will fix that issue, but then again I don't have my hopes up. What would really make this better to me is the fact that it is small, and I assume that one will have a better idea of where they are drilling their hole without buying a dremel or drill and bits. I think it's really hard to find the exact point where I want my hole drilled on a carto when using the saddle valve. I am hoping this someone would report on that soon.

bamsbbq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Tacoma,WA

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Luv da concept! Bam, do you have a punched carto pic?

I see the challenge being the wing nut bolt with a pin point tip. Like Fernand said, the carto tube is tough. Considering the 'fine' point on the saddle strap 'needle' and the resultant dent, the new model would have to have a very fine hardened tip to prevent distortion.

Hope someone finds or develops a suitable bolt! I'd make some for PIF.

Now off to scour the web...
looking.gif

Last edited:

KeysBum

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Florida Keys, USA

I see the challenge being the wing nut bolt with a pin point tip. Like Fernand said, the carto tube is tough. Considering the 'fine' point on the saddle strap 'needle' and the resultant dent, the new model would have to have a very fine hardened tip to prevent distortion.

looking.gif

What are the chances the needle from the saddle strap would thread into the collar?

KeysBum

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Florida Keys, USA

looking.gif

If I know Iffy as well as I think I do, he'll have this dialed in 3 days from now, tops.

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
Too spare your bits I would use a drill instead of a dremel at low speed and maybe a little juice or VG for lube and your bits will probably last longer. You will still probably want a scribe or some such to help keep the bit from wandering but may work to punch the hole anyway...

Alex, I was using 1/16" drill bits. And I do mean bitS. At $2.50 a pair for the unobtainium-tipped ones it was adding up, I was drilling two or three cartos on my Dremel "drill press" before I had to toss the bit. It's very tough stainless. The "cut off wheels" are the way to go with a Dremel, just mount the carto in an old battery as a heat sink, cut a slit, and the important thing is it doesn't distort the body, which always happens with the saddle valve deal, and can cause leaks in a tank. Mount a vacuum cleaner head to catch the filings.

This looks like it might at least work better than the saddle valve if I can find a 3/8" Shaft Screw Collar. Worth a shot.

KeysBum

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Florida Keys, USA
sad about seeing these at COV...

a little off topic, but is there a reason nobody uses the clear cartos in tanks? am i missing something obvious?

would be a neat effect i think :)

would be much simpler to drill a hole in a little plastic than (stainless?)steel.

They have a bigger diameter and won't fit.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
sad about seeing these at COV...

a little off topic, but is there a reason nobody uses the clear cartos in tanks? am i missing something obvious?

would be a neat effect i think :)

would be much simpler to drill a hole in a little plastic than (stainless?)steel.

The carto has to support the tank so the thin plastic isn't so up for the job. I hear they crack, leak and break. The SS ones don't.

Nice mod BTW and sorry to see at COV too.

santo19586

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
Saint Cloud FL
try heat treating the tip . with torch, red hot , then quench it in water, . i work at a steel company that produces chain. when we harden the parts for the chain , we use furnaces to heat the metal red hot then quench it in quench oil, to get the desired hardness in the metal... so by heating with torch , and quick cooling should replicate the process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread