New Central NY YNN Story on e-Cigs, Feb 8, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGProg

Aug 8, 2010
US
"There have been some studies that have looked at components of the liquid and it does contain, in some cases, ingredients in addition to nicotine which are carcinogenic or toxic," said Sharon Fischer, the tobacco Control Program Coordinator at the Broome County Health Department."

Oh really? What studies? What additional ingredients specifically?
Gotta call these people on this stuff...

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
"There have been some studies that have looked at components of the liquid and it does contain, in some cases, ingredients in addition to nicotine which are carcinogenic or toxic," said Sharon Fischer, the tobacco Control Program Coordinator at the Broome County Health Department."

It's some kind of law...
Your not allowed to post favorable articles about E-cigarettes
unless you throw in some lies and propaganda.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
The irony is that not two seconds earlier, Gary explained that the carcinogens are at the same levels of the nicotine patch/gums. Made the health expert look pretty silly.

"There have been some studies that have looked at components of the liquid and it does contain, in some cases, ingredients in addition to nicotine which are carcinogenic or toxic," said Sharon Fischer, the Tobacco Control Program Coordinator at the Broome County Health Department."

Turnkeys

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
SW Washington State
I applaud YNN for making the effort to report further on this issue, as well as Gary Teed's comments. The more we're able to share our stories the better our chances of mollifying preconceptions.

I must say however, I'm finding "official" statements like this wearying...

"There have been some studies that have looked at components of the liquid and it does contain, in some cases, ingredients in addition to nicotine which are carcinogenic or toxic," said Sharon Fischer, the Tobacco Control Program Coordinator at the Broome County Health Department.

I'm also dissapointed that YNN didn't provide (disabled?) a comment section for responses.

Googled some contact information:

Broome County Health Department
225 Front Street
Binghamton, NY 13905-2448
(607) 778-3930

Sharon Fischer
607-778-3068

The receptionist I spoke to wasn't certain of Sharon's e-mail "not everyone's is the same" (which I understood as not following the template) but if hers does it should be:
sfischer@co.broome.ny.us

I haven't contacted her yet as I'm at work and wanted to make sure I had my ducks lined up. If yours are, please use the contact info above.

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I think the disconnect on the part of the reporter is that Gary used the specific term "nitrosamines" when he mentioned that the quantity is the same in the nicotine patch and gum. Sharon Fisher was no doubt spouting the party line about the FDA finding carcinogins and toxins in the liquid. But Fisher used the less specific term "carcinogens". I doubt that the reporter realized they were both talking about the same chemical.

Had the reporter been sharp and caught that connection, she could have challenged Fisher with the "no more carcinogens than patches or gum" comback.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I spoke to Ms. Fischer. She was very pleasant and, once explained the facts about the so-called safety concerns, she no longer defended them. I sent her Dr. Siegel's article, as well as CASAA's 8 Biggest Myths about the Electronic Cigarette document.

Good work!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org

Griffin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Status
Not open for further replies.