New coil, most hits feel like the coil is not saturated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthevariel

Aug 7, 2018
Poeldijk
Hi everyone,

I've been using SMOK Alien 220W with Baby beast tank on 0.4 ohm coil, everything was ok until my first coil had to be changed.
In my opinion it should be well saturated as I already have that coil inside of my tank for 3 days and it's been standing with the liquid all days (as I vape only at home).

Before changing I did put some of the liquid inside of the coil as well.

Most hits that I do, feel like I'm vaping cotton itself.

Does anyone experienced it before? Maybe you know what I could do.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I think most people poke holes in the cotton using a needle. The problem is your cotton isn't wicking to saturation.

I don't know if the poking holes will work since the cotton is already wet. Might cause flooding. Also because it wasn't saturated and you've been vaping on it for 3 days it might be burned.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I think most people poke holes in the cotton using a needle. The problem is your cotton isn't wicking to saturation.

I don't know if the poking holes will work since the cotton is already wet. Might cause flooding. Also because it wasn't saturated and you've been vaping on it for 3 days it might be burned.

What dom said.

I would probably write that coil off and start fresh. If it’s been sitting in liquid all day there should be no reason it isn’t saturated. Sounds like maybe that one was packed too tight :unsure:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi everyone,

I've been using SMOK Alien 220W with Baby beast tank on 0.4 ohm coil, everything was ok until my first coil had to be changed.
In my opinion it should be well saturated as I already have that coil inside of my tank for 3 days and it's been standing with the liquid all days (as I vape only at home).

Before changing I did put some of the liquid inside of the coil as well.

Most hits that I do, feel like I'm vaping cotton itself.

Does anyone experienced it before? Maybe you know what I could do.
Hi and welcome,
How many drops did you use to prime the coil? How long did the new coil and full tank rest before you began using them?
Did you start at a lower wattage than "normal" and work up to your target or did you hit the new coil with "full" power?
If you burned/toasted the coil in the first few pulls, the flavor will generally not improve with age.

Coils are cheap, when in doubt, toss it out and start over with a clean tank, new, properly primed coil and low introductory wattage.

Cheers
I

Reactions: stols001

Arthevariel

Aug 7, 2018
Poeldijk
Could it be also that I have put the coil too tight? I was trying to fix the leaking problem that apparently a lot of people have with baby beast tank and it seem slike its not leaking anymore, but the taste... I will try and put a new one right now, start with the lower wattage and see what I get from that

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Coils should fit "snug", not over-tightened.

It could be a "bad coil"; it happens. For example, the cotton was packed too tightly so it won't absorb e-liquid adequately. Once the cotton is burned there's nothing you can do to save it. SMOK doesn't have the best reputation for quality control.

This is a great video on how to prime and "break in" factory coils.

Last edited:

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
With 50/50 you should have no issues, so the coils definitely sounding like it's a dud.

And like @My Batt Hurts has said, primer puffs when you've replaced the coil. Just close airflow and without firing the coil, pull on the tank. It can help saturating the coil.

Having issues myself with Vaporesso GT CCell coils, as they vary widely in wicking quality. Some just won't wick well at all, no matter how much priming you do with them.

It's why things like Squonking with an RDA (Rebuildable Dripping Atomiser) become interesting, it's where you use a Squonk mod that has a liquid feed bottle that can force liquid up into the RDA through a hollow BF Squonk pin.

And RDA's are much easier and more forgiving to work with than RTA's.

So if you consider upgrading in the future it may be something worth considering, as wire and Muji pads are cheap compared to coils.

Dovpo Topside is an interesting Squonker and can be found at reasonable prices, try fasttech with MAP code at checkout. And Thunderhead Creations Tauren SOLO is a nice simple single coil RDA, if memory serves me $18.25 at fasttech using MAP code.

Anyway, hopefully you'll get it sorted.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I've used that exact setup. The cotton is pretty tight but it can wick ok. First, drops of juice on the cotton from the top. When you see the cotton in the side juice slots getting wet you've dripped in enough. Assemble and fill. Take 3 or 4 unpowered draws to help pull juice in. Let sit 5 to 20 minutes.

Take a few more unpowered puffs. Start at ~20W. Take a hit. Take an unpowered draw. Go up 3W at a time a draw at each point. Stop when you like the vape. I found 40-45W more than sufficient with those coils but you light like higher. If you fill, let it just sit, and not draw juice in it will take forever to get wet all the way through from the outside to the inside where the hit coil is. If you get a dry hit, chances are you're done. Burnt cotton doesn't heal. That coil also has a cottony taste about the first 3-4 ml you put through it. I found it noticeable and unpleasant but it went away after that first half tank or so (the BBB that held more but otherwise the same) and never came back. At the wattage I used with DIY not very sweetened juice I could get 3-4 weeks of regular but intermittent use out of it. Super sweet commercial juice and YMMV.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Sounds like a bad coil and priming issues to me.

I don't think "Screwing in a coil too tight" would cause it but if you are having leaking issues you may want to disassemble the tank, see if you lost an O ring during cleaning or whatnot.

Personally I would get another setup, but I am a tad biased, I will admit. But if I had a tank that was a) leaking b) giving you dry hits and c) smok

I would get another setup.
Anna

basilia

Moved On
May 24, 2019
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Spam
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread