New DID-copy user, some help needed (It an't hot spots!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
So apparently I'm somewhat gifted as a new user that I don't really have that many issues with hot spots, maybe a few when I'm starting out but after a while, they all go away and things are hunky dorey.

My problem is that my wicks don't really feed worth a damn and I haven't seen too many discussions over how tight or how loose a wick must be so I figured I should ask.

I did one wick last night that was rather loose, I cut a few mm of material off of my mesh so that it would fit loosely into the wick hole, my idea was that this would choke less of the juice allowing more in... no-go. It still burned.

Then I did a rather tight wick, lots of layers. My idea was that more layers means more spaces for juice to move up. It worked a bit better but it still burned.

So... just how tight does this need to be, exactly? I can pretty much only use the atomizer with it lying wick-side down. Otherwise the juice pretty much just goes nowhere, doesn't climb up the wick over time, nothing. So, help?

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
I am new also. But your air is pulling the juice up. It supposedly also is attracted to heat but whatever. Do you have your fill screw out? Mine wicks better without it.r

Definitely try this, if you have the fill hole screw/plug in. With the juice wicking up some way is needed for air to go down into the tank to replace it, otherwise you end up with a vacuum in the tank pulling the juice in the wick back down.

Swarley

Mod Addict
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Nor Cal
Definitely try this, if you have the fill hole screw/plug in. With the juice wicking up some way is needed for air to go down into the tank to replace it, otherwise you end up with a vacuum in the tank pulling the juice in the wick back down.

I agree. I leave the fill screw out of all my RA's:)

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
No fill screw, using a #400 mesh wick now... Better but still really, no cigar.

I'm having a lot better time using ss-mesh in my Phoenix rebuildable by setting up the wick and coil where the air hole lines up when it is fully screwed in, mostly because I don't have any wicking problems due to the juice's location. I did have some hot spots due to the wires reaching the coil but I alleviated that by aligning the coil diagonally so that the ground wire went straight to the coil from the post and the positive went straight to the coil from where it is wrapped around the screw on the positive post.

I guess it's mostly a trial and error sort of thing, isn't it? I need to get some larger mesh that I can cut out myself and wrap it as tight and layered as possible without any size limitations.

Until then, I shall not cease!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread