New E-Cig Online Survey - PSU - Dec 20, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfjardine02

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Hershey
Researchers from Penn State University are conducting an online survey to improve understanding of electronic cigarettes. Electronic cigarette users may complete the survey anonymously, or can provide contact details at the end if interested in participating in a laboratory study of electronic cigarette use. Please click on the link below tocomplete the survey. https://redcap.ctsi.psu.edu/redcap/surveys/?s=v94cbA

myyrkezaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2012
Clayton, NC
The 15 puffs/10 minutes per time I thought was weird, not the way that I use mine and missing the benefit of how it works.

I have cravings to use an electronic cigarette to supply nicotine, not just to use it :).

Please describe any other effects that you have experienced as a result of using e-cigs.
able to breath better, no more coughers hack, no lingering smell on me or things I own, taste has returned, smell has returned, happier because I have quit tobacco

jfjardine02

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Hershey
I totally accept that trying to quantify amount of daily vaping by asking how many times per day they vape, counting a "10 minute period" or "15 puffs" does not fit very well with the way most people vape (we used this question in a prior survey and had some similar comment). Smoking is different in that typically people light a cigarette and take 5-15 puffs over 4-12 minutes, by which time the cigarette is extinguished and we know they smoked "one cigarette". So although we cannot change that question for this survey, I am interested in any suggestions as to how one could quantify daily vaping in a single question, that would then be somewhat comparable to "How many cigarettes do you smoke per day?" or "How many dips/sachets of chew do you use per day" etc. I was assuming that although some just take intermittent puffs throughout the day (in which case they could estimate how many clumps of 15 that would be per day), some also pop outside and have a 10-15 minute "vape break" with their smoking colleagues at work, at the bar, etc and so allowing people to count both at least provides a ballpark estimate that enables comparison with smoking. Im open to suggested wording for future studies (and hope the wording of that one question doesnt put people off completing the survey).

ardelleg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Alaska
Tried to do the survey, was stopped by error messages at page 10/15

Error messages were about branching logic errors, 1st for "email", 2nd for "interested_y"

Could not move back or ahead, clicked through another 3 or 4 error messages and was able to continue the survey

I have trouble quantifying the # of puffs, # of uses per day but don't know how you would be able to ask the question, other than to

quantify the amount of liquid used

jfjardine02

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Hershey
Tried to do the survey, was stopped by error messages at page 10/15

Error messages were about branching logic errors, 1st for "email", 2nd for "interested_y"

Could not move back or ahead, clicked through another 3 or 4 error messages and was able to continue the survey

I have trouble quantifying the # of puffs, # of uses per day but don't know how you would be able to ask the question, other than to

quantify the amount of liquid used

We have had over 200 people complete the survey within 24 hours but i will look into that error message issue you received. Thanks for completing the survey, and I would encourage vapers to continue to complete the survey...the more the merrier.

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
I completed the survey and did volunteer for the lab work in Hershey. My husband will also do the survey tomorrow and also volunteer for the study with me. A friend took the survey, but declined the study because she didn't want to be injected with any dyes. This MRI doesn't involve dye does it?

As far as the questions were concerned I had the same problem with the number of puffs question. People don't vape the same way they smoked. I just picked the number 10 to use because I truly didn't know how to answer. Maybe ask how many mls a vaper goes through in a day?

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
needs to be how much juice used per day... not how many puffs in X time
when smoking its how many packs a day or number of cigarettes... not how many puffs
I used to let half my cigarette burn away so even packs is inaccurate but juice doesn't burn up, it gets used

I agree, my cigarettes were very often left to burn away. Then they put chemicals in the paper so the cigarette would go out every time I turned around. I didn't like relighting them once that happened so I guess counting the number of cigarettes smoked is not very accurate. I wonder how this might affect the study?

Also, I was wondering if smokers would be put through the same tests and who is funding the study and if it's a true study or are they trying to prove a predetermined outcome. Lots of questions.

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
needs to be how much juice used per day... not how many puffs in X time
when smoking its how many packs a day or number of cigarettes... not how many puffs
I used to let half my cigarette burn away so even packs is inaccurate but juice doesn't burn up, it gets used

Yes, and there's also advertisements that say 1 cartridge is equal to a pack of cigarettes or something silly like that so you can't go by that statement. I guess if you averaged out how many PAD over time it could give you an idea of how much a person smoked, but I still don't know how you'd compare all the chemicals you'd be taking in vs the lack thereof from vaping. Wouldn't that be like comparing apples to oranges? Maybe just try to compare how the body reacts to a cigarette vs vaping without trying to quantify it? It would really depend on what the purpose of the study is looking for.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
It has proven very difficult to calculate how much ecig users consume per day since there are no easily-identifiable data points that can be used. The least useful method would be to try to quantify the amount by using puffs, or puffs per day, as I have never heard of anyone who would be able to accurately answer that. There is however a new ecig model with an electronics package that does measure such data and can be connected to a computer to download the information. Perhaps hardware of this type could be used in clinical trials.

However, this information might not be of much use since an e-cigarette doesn't work if a puff length is employed that is the same as is used for a tobacco cigarette - the puff needs to be at least twice as long, for several different reasons (otherwise little or no nicotine is delivered, as shown by multiple clinical trials such as Vansickel Eissenberg and Bullen et al).

There are two possible ways of measuring consumption that have some chance of reasonable accuracy: refill liquid consumption (for those who employ bottled liquid refilling) or carto consumption (for those who buy pre-filled cartos, or who refill their own and therefore know the refill times per day, and especially for users of the regular size cigarette clone models). The last usergroup is certainly in the majority - but are very hard to reach online, as most tend to be unaware of the existence of an online e-cigarette community (otherwise they would (a) participate and (b) upgrade) - neither of which occur in large numbers. In other words the online community are perhaps 5% of the total number of ecig users.

Most bottled liquid users will know either their daily, weekly or monthly consumption. The average is about 3ml per day. 1ml of liquid is approximately equal to 6 cigarettes. 1 cigarette is roughly equivalent to 3 to 4 drops of liquid, in the opinion of most expert users.

The standard cartomizer holds 1ml although not all can be used as some is retained by the filler; perhaps 80% can be used from each pre-filled carto. A smoker who consumed 15 cigarettes per day will typically use 3 cartos per day [1]; each is equivalent to about 6 cigarettes. There are about 22 'drops' per mil. This is a flexible concept since a drop from different droppers or dripper bottles will obviously vary in quantity, but as the averages are important not the precise measurements, a figure of 22 drops per mil is useful.

So if we were to ask user how much liquid they consumed per day, a large proportion would be able to answer that; and if not by direct knowledge then by some form of calculation. Beginners need to be asked how many cartos a day they use. This is an inexact question because although the benchmark carto is the Boge 1ml 35mm x 9mm cartomizer, there are many other sizes and types. All cartomizers ( the 2-piece system) hold more than the cartridges used by atomizer-cartridge (3-piece) systems, which is 0.6ml for the benchmark 510 system. Other systems may contain less.

Determination of refill liquid consumption is an inexact process and may be subject to numerous errors. The best accuracy would be achieved by asking multiple questions, leading to a funnel that increased accuracy. Even this method could not guarantee any particular level of accuracy since some users will know their consumption precisely, and others will simply guess. Otherwise, quantitative measurement reporting is likely to be mostly erroneous.

[1] However, there are plenty of examples of anomalous equivalancies since vaping and smoking are different. While many 15-a-day smokers will indeed consume 3 cartos per day, there are examples of 15/day new users who will consume 1 carto a day or less.

The experience of many (perhaps most) liquid refill users is that they vape 'more' than they smoked. The concept of 'more' is also a flexible one: does it mean more often, or for longer, or with more nicotine, or what exactly.

New users employing pre-filled cartos may sometimes vape less than they smoked. However there is a much higher rate of failure among new users, utilising mini size hardware, than among more experienced users with better hardware that uses liquid refilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread