New England Journal Editorial - Go Comment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Honestly, after reading that article I couldn't tell if they really were for or against the policies. They seemed to be arguing both sides and leaning more toward approval of the policies.

The whole concept of not hiring tobacco consumers vs. hiring them and helping them quit just seems to say "F--- you. We don't care about you anymore unless you are nicotine-free. You're a lost cause."

The fact that a lot of tobacco products do not leave a smell on the employee's clothing nor increase health risks seems to completely elude these people. tobacco/nicotine use Smoking.

Last edited:

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
Perhaps a link to the comment section would be in order since I couldn't find it?
Those place are not just hiring smokers but are also excluding anyone who may have nicotine or continine in their systems.
This will exclude those low level employees who in my experience are the food service employees, transportation people janitors etc.
All folks who may come from the inner cities or who may not have college degrees........at least this was the case when I worked in a hospital.
:(
C.B.

Penner

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
USA
I beleive, (I dont know for sure), that you have to register to leave a comment, doesn't sound like they will take anonymous comments. This is a highly respected journal in medicine, so its unlikely they will take an anonymous comment.

The link is www.nejm .org (ecig forum software is not allowing a live link, so just copy it into your browser & get rid of the space before the .org, in the link).

Goto the center of the page, look for "Perspective online first: The Ethics of Not Hiring Smokers" this is the March 27, 2013 issue.

Then click on comments.

HTH

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
I am sick and tired of the crap people spew. Did you see that incredible paragraph on third hand smoke? Ridiculous. People standing outside smoking is killing babies and killing even more babies by touching door knobs on their way in from smoking which pregnant women touch.

Smokers need to rise up and say "We won't take it anymore!"

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I am sick and tired of the crap people spew. Did you see that incredible paragraph on third hand smoke? Ridiculous. People standing outside smoking is killing babies and killing even more babies by touching door knobs on their way in from smoking which pregnant women touch.

Smokers need to rise up and say "We won't take it anymore!"
7th hand smoke
Being the 7th person to turn a door knob
after a smoker touched it
:p

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
:blink:
Would first hand smoke be when the smoker touches the door knob; or when the next person after the smoker touches it??
:blink:
PickyPicky_zpsa21e7150.jpg
:p

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I like the lead in sentence to the article-

Tobacco use is responsible for approximately 440,000 deaths in the United States each year — about one death out of every five.

Now that shows what? I see 80% of the yearly deaths NOT being associated with tobacco. Considering that 20%+ of the population are smokers and perhaps 40-50% were ever smokers (more than 99 cigarettes in their lifetime) who will be included in any smoking related death stats, this shock number means very little.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Kristin,

I agree, tell them that in the comments, because this smoking hiring ban is also including people who use nicotine gum, patches & the like.

I pointed that out in my comment, as well as the fact that it is not "tobacco use" that makes up the 400,000+ deaths per year.

"Tobacco" is not a synonym for "smoking"

Smoking, not tobacco use, is what causes those 440,000 fatalities. The NEJM should insist on scientific accuracy, even in opinion pieces. Decades of research shows that smokers who switch to smokeless tobacco products have no higher rates of heart attacks, strokes, or any type of cancer than former smokers who gave up all tobacco use.

This research was presented to the FDA as evidence that long-term use of nicotine replacement therapy products would be low in risk. The same research shows that the most effective way to end smoking is to substitute a low-risk alternative source of nicotine for smoking. In the 2000 National Health Interview Survey, pharmaceutical products were successfully used to quit by 0-35% of smokers, while switching to a smokeless tobacco product had a 73% success rate. (Rodu B, Phillips CV. Harm Reduction Journal 5:18, 2008)

Measurement of exhaled carbon monoxide is a definitive test for smoking. Denying employment based on nicotine testing unfairly discriminates against former smokers who switched to a low-risk alternative. It also sends a message to smokers, "You might as well smoke, because we insist on treating you as if you are still a smoker."

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
I pointed that out in my comment, as well as the fact that it is not "tobacco use" that makes up the 400,000+ deaths per year.
One with think with their credentials, they would know the difference between smoking and tobacco use. It bothers the hell out of me that someone can be denied a job because the use of smokless products. Some better rethink this. To think of it, for that matter, smoking as well. We have to defend our right to live. I dont want to hear about the costs of health care due to smoking anymore either. The CNN special a couple of weeks ago shed plenty of light on that. Other lifestyles and habbits are also contributing to our healthcare problem. Not to mention the fact that we have a pill for everything. These Pharma commercials are indicitive of a problem with our mentality and the health care system overall. And to discriminate against one who is using THR as a means to get a bit healthier utter nonsense. Let the hospitals only sell decaffinated coffee and sugar free soda while they are at it. And It doesnt take a genius to figure out that one shouldnt smell like smoke when at work period. Its the same as being well groomed and wearing clean clothes to the job. Nothing but a bunch of nannies!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread