The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

New FDA and nicotine?

Discussion in 'FDA Regulations' started by swgafire, Nov 7, 2017.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. swgafire

swgafire New Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Can a B&M shop take their wholesale/bulk bought, 0% 'house juice' and add nicotine to individually purchased bottles? I can't seem to find anything definitive. I've been in two different shops in the last week. One mixed the nic right there at the counter...the other said you couldn't do that and sold me a premixed 3%, 'submitted' recipe, bottle. Where is that information? Preferably in plain English.

2. bombastinator

bombastinator Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I had this thought too when I saw the regulations. The regulation situation is a big mess and the state level offices are being a predatory as possible about it. It may be a grey area federally but that also makes it a grey area at the state level and consequently probably isn’t worth the risk.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. swgafire

swgafire New Member

Nov 7, 2017
    My State has no regulation as of yet. Just the standard 18yo

• Like Like x 1
  4. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Same here, no state regulation, but unless there is regulation in your state, it ought to be okay with the FDA and Feds, (currently, as far as I know....) Haven't purchased pre-made juice in a while, so I'm not sure what vape stores here are doing at the moment. I may wander in to ask out of curiosity one day, but I'm fairly sure here that nothing has changed.... yet.

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  5. cats5365

cats5365 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 27, 2013
    United States
    The deeming put limits on what the B&M's can do as retailers and a line between being a retailer and a manufacturer. If the B&M is a retailer, they can sell you pre-made pieces and parts with the assumption that those pieces and parts have gone through the approval process by the manufacturers of those pieces and parts. It is up to the consumer to put his pieces and parts together and make them work.

If the shop starts assembling or altering those pieces and parts, they become a manufacturer and need to have approvals for the final product you walk out of the store with. Shops that used to help you with your gear, make coils, or make custom juices had to stop doing those things in order to comply with the deeming regs. You could go back to some of the threads from around August 2016 and find several discussions on the topic.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Beamslider

Beamslider Ultra Member Verified Member

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    I think they could sell you a premade bottle of flavoring at 0% separately and then sell you a separate bottle of nic that would bring it to a preset mg level if mixed together without running into the manufacturing issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rossum

Rossum Squonk Mod Junkie Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    The actual deeming regulation here.

Plain English? Nah. It's written by bureaucrats. Anyone that offers you plain English is doing some level of interpretation.

My reading: No, it's not allowed, but... There are a lot of vendors who aren't complying with the letter of the regulations right now, and under the current administration, the FDA seems to have little enthusiasm for enforcement.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Bill Godshall

Bill Godshall Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2009
    Only if they registered those same final products (that they sell to customers) with the FDA.

I suspect that less than 10% of the estimated 10,000 B&M vape shops in the US registered the e-liquid products (that they manufacture and sell) with the FDA. But more than 3 million products were registered. Most vape shops now just retail e-liquid that is manufactured by other companies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. halbgott

halbgott Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 23, 2012
    black hole
    Does this technically include repairs to mods done at shops?

• Like Like x 1
  10. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    One of the deep mysteries for me with the vape scene is why vapers are willing to pay the cost of pre-mixed e liquid. On the other hand if it went away so would most of the specciality vape shops, at least the few that I visit. The most thriving vape retail situation II'm seeing is a local Wild Bill's tobacco shop. They have the most hardware inventory and they mix behind the counter.

• Like Like x 3
  11. bombastinator

bombastinator Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Same reason people don’t fix their own toilets, or change the oil on their cars or a host of other things. If you pay a professional it’s done quickly and correctly and you don’t have to wipe off your shoes afterwards. Me I mix my own though I do occasionally buy juice when I’m in a hurry. It’s a handy thing to be able to do.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Rossum

Rossum Squonk Mod Junkie Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Same reason most smokers buy commercial cigs rather than loose tobacco and paper tubes: Convenience; they just don't want to be bothered.

Honestly, I doubt I would ever have gotten into DIY if it weren't for the threat posed by the FDA's deeming regs.

• Like Like x 5
  13. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    I mix once a month. It takes 15 minutes. Cost of ingredients is $2.40. That's the same as free, my favorite price point.

The government crackdown motivated me to mix and rebuild but I'd be doing it anyway. I can also say that if smoking were harmless and free I'd still rather vape.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Letitia

Letitia Nano Junkie

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I started mixing because it was getting hard to find good juice at my preferred nic strength and was sick of changing wicks almost daily.

• Like Like x 2