New FDA policy conflicts with itself and vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

trying

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2010
usa
The new FDA policy would cut the amount of nicotine in cigarettes'
In theory getting people to quit by reducing the amount of nicotine they take in while maintaining the same amount of smoke and tar they inhale.

Yet at the same time FDA has given a reprieve to vaping which maintains nicotine intake and eliminates smoke and tar being inhaled.
How do they promote one without arguing against the other ?

This board of coarse is full of testimonials of people who used vaping to eliminate smoke and tar and then reduced or eliminated their intake of nicotine.

Which argues against policy of reduced nicotine.

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
In theory getting people to quit by reducing the amount of nicotine they take in while maintaining the same amount of smoke and tar they inhale.

Yet at the same time FDA has given a reprieve to vaping which maintains nicotine intake and eliminates smoke and tar being inhaled.

This board of coarse is full of testimonials of people who used vaping to eliminate smoke and tar and then reduced or eliminated their intake of nicotine.

Let us all hope that the new head of the FDA lasts a bit longer than all the other departmental heads do of the Trump administration. Its a revolving door you lot have there.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Let us all hope that the new head of the FDA lasts a bit longer than all the other departmental heads do of the Trump administration. Its a revolving door you lot have there.

With this administration the promise was and is "no politics as usual". If the new hire can't live with that then it is time for them to get the boot and someone else hired for the job. At this point I feel like the new head of the FDA understands his job and is trying to do it.

I don't totally understand where he is trying to go with the low nic smokes and I personally think it will end up a failed attempt to get smokers to give up their smokes but I am willing to wait and see at this point while still keeping in touch with those that can do something positive for vaping if we can convince them that it is in their best interest to do so.

I truly do wish the general public would get behind his wish to clean out the business as usual that got us in the mess we are in today. He is our legally elected President and as such does deserve our support as he tries to get this country back on track.

As always, JMHO

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
With this administration the promise was and is "no politics as usual". If the new hire can't live with that then it is time for them to get the boot and someone else hired for the job. At this point I feel like the new head of the FDA understands his job and is trying to do it.

I don't totally understand where he is trying to go with the low nic smokes and I personally think it will end up a failed attempt to get smokers to give up their smokes but I am willing to wait and see at this point while still keeping in touch with those that can do something positive for vaping if we can convince them that it is in their best interest to do so.

I truly do wish the general public would get behind his wish to clean out the business as usual that got us in the mess we are in today. He is our legally elected President and as such does deserve our support as he tries to get this country back on track.

As always, JMHO
There is global debate as to the legallity, honesty and integrity of the said election.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
There is global debate as to the legallity, honesty and integrity of the said election.

And this isn't the place to get into any of that.......I will just say....This isn't the first time this same debate has happened after an election.....'nough said on the subject. :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't think anyone is sure about that cigarette issue, except that it was given in the context of an overall harm reduction speech, and I *assume* because Gottleib stated it, that he wanted cigs to be a non-appealing option, especially when we HAVE appealing options. I'm not sure it's craziness entirely, as if a never-vaper buys one to augment their nicotine cheaply, a fair number of them may enjoy it and at the very least, smoke less, at best, switch over. It could be a clever strategy, we will have to see.

I have not agreed with everything this admin has done, nor will I disagree with all of it, either. In fact, I cannot think of ANY government anywhere, that I have 100% agreed with. What I do find upsetting is the squabbling and infighting, and some of the protests were kinda.... In poor taste. Also, being in a small city, I got to see the "protests" at our local airport re: the Muslim ban. There was a huge news truck, parked as close as they could and certainly not on a wide angle, photographing maybe... 30 protesters, with a few signs. It was very anemic when driving past, but certainly not portrayed that way in the news....

When the news itself is not reliable (Cronkite! I miss you!) It's very difficult and you have to dig around to know what's really going on.

That said, I'm certain things would have been reported "better" under Hillary, but that pair lies so often, sometimes it's like they're spitting serpents from their mouths.

At least we live in interesting times, LOL (Old proverb/curse: May you live in interesting times.) I find I'm way happier overall when I listen to music in the car. Mainly because I got tired of the endless cycle of news, "We're all going to die of bird flu/zeka/swine flu/aids/the A bomb, sheesh, we should all be so dead by now.... :)

Anna

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY

Politicians and bureaucrats are generally capable of acting on two mutually exclusive plans at the same time, the wind shifts and off they go.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I don't think anyone is sure about that cigarette issue, except that it was given in the context of an overall harm reduction speech, and I *assume* because Gottleib stated it, that he wanted cigs to be a non-appealing option, especially when we HAVE appealing options. I'm not sure it's craziness entirely, as if a never-vaper buys one to augment their nicotine cheaply, a fair number of them may enjoy it and at the very least, smoke less, at best, switch over. It could be a clever strategy, we will have to see.

I have not agreed with everything this admin has done, nor will I disagree with all of it, either. In fact, I cannot think of ANY government anywhere, that I have 100% agreed with. What I do find upsetting is the squabbling and infighting, and some of the protests were kinda.... In poor taste. Also, being in a small city, I got to see the "protests" at our local airport re: the Muslim ban. There was a huge news truck, parked as close as they could and certainly not on a wide angle, photographing maybe... 30 protesters, with a few signs. It was very anemic when driving past, but certainly not portrayed that way in the news....

When the news itself is not reliable (Cronkite! I miss you!) It's very difficult and you have to dig around to know what's really going on.

That said, I'm certain things would have been reported "better" under Hillary, but that pair lies so often, sometimes it's like they're spitting serpents from their mouths.

At least we live in interesting times, LOL (Old proverb/curse: May you live in interesting times.) I find I'm way happier overall when I listen to music in the car. Mainly because I got tired of the endless cycle of news, "We're all going to die of bird flu/zeka/swine flu/aids/the A bomb, sheesh, we should all be so dead by now.... :)

Anna

To your point about the car radio, a large tree branch fell on my car breaking the antenna wiring between the roof and the headliner. After a few days without the radio and just listening to a jump drive filled with my choice of mp3's, I decided to leave it broken. I know that I would go back to talk radio if I fixed it and then I would just get angry - peace at last.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I know! When I used to listen to NPR it was not good for my anxiety, LOL. Until I realized.... "Oh wait, these things all may be a possibility, but they just Put Them In Rotation and then they are replaced..." and I was done. Except for Ira Glass, I don't understand how anyone could hate Ira Glass. I think if he visited our family, all the women in it would be fighting over who "got" him, as it were... :) Even if it was just for friendly conversation, LOL.

Anna

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN

The other piece of the puzzle is the thousands of other dangerous chemicals in cigs.

Including dozens to hundreds that may have the power to hold addiction void of nicotine altogether.

If they continue to make positive progress, they'll eventually have to address that too.

I suspect they've dug themselves a big enough hole they want to kick that can as far down the road as possible.

They're waving 1 hand and hiding the other behind their backs until it's safe for the big reveal.

There's a whole heard if elephants in the room.

If only the room weren't a closet there might be breathing room.

Guns don't kill people, virgins do! -Jim Jeffries

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
It would look to me (and I think I picked this up from somebody else around here) that lowering nic in cigarettes would encourage smokers to switch to vaping for their fix.
Or pull harder and smoke more cigarettes to get the same amount of nicotine !? Wasn't this tried before with the so-called "Light" and "Ultra-Light" cigarettes.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
It would look to me (and I think I picked this up from somebody else around here) that lowering nic in cigarettes would encourage smokers to switch to vaping for their fix.
That's the theory, but the past few years public perception of vaping has been tainted by a slew of FUD in the media from public health experts. To work there would need to be a paradigm shift in the information that is fed to the general population, and public endorsement of the efficacy and true level of harm reduction numbers, like what is going on in the UK. If public health officials, doctors, and mostly the FDA were to strongly endorse vapor products as harm reduction tools, and give accurate information to the public regarding the safety of these products, maybe then the tide would change in the public, and most importantly, the smoking segment of the populations minds.

All moot points right now, nothing has changed as far as the deeming goes, we won't know anything until concrete guidance for submissions is issued, and reasonable compliance bars are set.

Worst case, it's just a four year stay of execution, and even more time for life to go on as usual for vapers, with even more time for complacency, to set in...

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
Reduced nicotine isn't the new policy. The head of the FDA made a point of mentioning that nicotine is not the problem. The new policy is to look at ways to make it easier to stop smoking, because smoking is the problem. One way of (possibly) doing that is to (attempt to) make smokes less addictive. That's what's behind the idea of reducing nicotine levels in smokes. If you watch his video I think he makes it fairly obvious that he considers vaping to be a beneficial alternative to smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread