Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
I'd like to see the details of the study - how long did they watch videos, how long was the survey, what were the questions.. I'm thinking a regular smoker would be wanting a cigarette inside of an hour +/-.

This is an easy study to set up to get the answer you want, the choice of questions would likely reinforce the focus on wanting a smoke. I wonder if they even asked if these people would be interested in trying an e-cig instead of smoking.

I chucked at this line in the abstract, my bold:

Relative to other conditions, in the cue condition, daily smokers reported greater urge to smoke a tobacco cigarette and a marginally significantly greater incidence of actually smoking a tobacco cigarette during the experiment.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Agree with you, keep a smoker watching anything (e.g. weather channel) for 1h, he will in the end have an URGE to light one lol

Question is - did vapers get the urge to vape when watching e cig adverts?

I do. I get the urge to vape anytime I see one of those commercials, or anytime I see someone smoking, or... anytime the wind blows. I'm not picky, anything is pretty much a good enough reason for me.

Yeah, I was that kind of smoker too. :D

:D
Andria

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I now understand tobacco smoking is not addiction to chemicals, it's a habit forming behavior. The ebb and flow of the chemicals are among many smoking ques. When I'm standing with smokders on break in the parking I feel no urge to smoke a cigarette. When I visit a place where I might routinely have a smoke that I haven't been since I quit, last November, I invariably think of having a smoke. Regardless, smokers get a lot of ques all day long. Did watching the videos increase the smokers daily consumption permanently? The other question not considered, do the vaping commercials get smokers off cigarettes and on to e-cigs. If that's happening then the cigarettes not smoked by people who quit might far outnumber additional cigarettes smoked by people who don't quit. The study considers neither of those possibilities. The researchers are well aware of the omission. They are well paid for their deceit.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I didn't get to see the link in the OP. It's broken. There's all kinds of junk science designed to sway opinions. I really don't think the FDA has a problem with vaping. They know it's much better than burning tobacco, but they can't actually condone it without butting heads with big pharma. Doctors all over agree that ecigs are the most reliable way to stop smoking.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I didn't get to see the link in the OP. It's broken. There's all kinds of junk science designed to sway opinions. I really don't think the FDA has a problem with vaping. They know it's much better than burning tobacco, but they can't actually condone it without butting heads with big pharma. Doctors all over agree that ecigs are the most reliable way to stop smoking.

That's exactly what I've been wondering; maybe the reason they're going so slowly to "regulate" is because they actually don't want to mess things up for those already vaping, but they have to keep BP and BT happy, so they're making all the right noises, but moving at a snail's pace to give more people time to switch, so that later they can say "we tried, Massuh, but The People have spoken." :D

Maybe?

Andria

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
That's exactly what I've been wondering; maybe the reason they're going so slowly to "regulate" is because they actually don't want to mess things up for those already vaping, but they have to keep BP and BT happy, so they're making all the right noises, but moving at a snail's pace to give more people time to switch, so that later they can say "we tried, Massuh, but The People have spoken." :D

Maybe?

Andria

I do hope you're right, but I don't give them that much credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread