New FDA Target. Busy little beavers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess I am old--I wasn't even aware there *were* caffeinated alcoholic drinks.

Can they sell decaffeinated alcoholic drinks?

Ya know, I wish they would go after caffeine. Then someone would kick them right where they need it most. People who actually care about nicotine are in the minority, but you go after peoples' caffeine and the whole herd will stampede you.

Kewtsquirrel

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
DFW, TX
moddersupply.com
In all fairness, there have been a number of people ending up with very serious if not fatal alcohol poisoning due to mixing lots of caffeine with alcohol. The depressant effects of alcohol will generally slow your drinking down as you get more and more intoxicated, mixing that with a stimulant can mask the felt effects and people end up drinking far more than than they may realize and bam - dead.

Ironic that they go after things like e-cigs yet don't give a **** about all of the added chemicals to cigarettes, though.

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
And they just HAD to do this around the holidays...

No more Bailey and Cream :-(

Oh just wait and watch what happens if they take coffee away from us! to "protect the children, blah blah blah" Starbucks would be ...... for sure.

And so would all of us American coffee drinkers.

If they take my jack and coke away, fine, I'll just make some at home lol.

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
FDA says no to alcohol and caffeine. You can still drink rum and Coke, but pre-mixed, nope unapproved/adulterated/etc. The usual marketed to/need to protect the youth...

Caffeinated Alcoholic Drinks Are Dead. (Long Live … ) - Health Blog - WSJ

Letter from FDA
Caffeinated Alcoholic Beverages Sample Letter # 1

If these drinks are being marketed to young people, then the young people they are referring to must be 18 years or older. Since the drinks contain alcohol, it would be a whole other subject if they were marketed to minors.

The "protect the children" argument is rather ridiculous anyway. Many, if not most products are dangerous in the hands of children. Will they ban household cleaners (little Johnnie could drink them and get sick), automobiles (little Johnnie could go for a joy ride and get into an accident), power tools (little Johnnie could cut his finger off), I think you get the point, the list is endless.

If they are going to use this argument, then to be fair, they would have to ban everything that is dangerous to children.

jerrydon10

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mixing Red Bull and one's fav liquor is VERY popular in one bar I occasionally frequent. I'm sure this is what the FDA is referring to.

I have never tried that as I have wondered if it is safe.

That is my right. But I have no right to tell you not to do it. And if I did, just like the FDA, you have the right to tell me to kiss your a@@.

supertrkre2812

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2009
Palatka, Fl
www.xtremevaping.com
It used to be that the sun was bad for you, so we get the children video games, they stay inside away from the sun, then they don't get any exercise, get fat and lazy, now they say limit your childrens time on the tv and games and get them to go out in the sun!!!!!!!!!
the FDA have too much power.
They didn't like flavored cigarettes cause it was bad for the children, but it is against the law for children to buy them, so how is it bad for the children when they aren't supposed to have them in the first place???????

Last edited by a moderator:

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
In all fairness, there have been a number of people ending up with very serious if not fatal alcohol poisoning due to mixing lots of caffeine with alcohol.

So what you're saying is, stupid people who don't control themselves may end up hurting themselves?

Thats a complete shocker right there.

FFS, since when is it illegal to market to your consumer-base? W. T. F.

Nestran

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Rhode Island
So this:

"The increasing popularity of consumption of caffeinated alcoholic beverages by college students and reports of potential health and safety issues necessitates that we look seriously at the scientific evidence as soon as possible,” said Dr. Joshua Sharfstein, principal deputy commissioner of food and drugs."

Is the students part just the sheeple spin? I fail to see what college students have to do with safety triggers. The way I see it is if I were to get sick off this stuff I could sue the FDA because they are implying that it is not safe for college students. Apparently I'm ok though.

Of course I am, I inhale anti freeze! :lol:

Nestran

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I took up regular coffee drinking when I was 8 years old. Maybe that's how I managed to get through childhood without being diagnosed with attention deficit disorder. According to the diagnostic manual, you can't possibly have ADD unless you had it as a child.

The doctor's theory was that I avoided problems in childhood because I am "high functioning" and was able to compensate for the attention problems. Maybe so. Or maybe it was the coffee. Or maybe both.

When I got to college I did start to experience some significant problems because the style of teaching was very different. Throughout grade school and high school, we spent a lot of class time interacting, discussing, exchanging ideas, etc. In college, I was expected to sit still for an entire hour and absorb all the info being thrown at me in a lecture. It didn't work for me. My grades plummeted. Then I took up smoking, and after that my grades improved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread