New Here, Semi-frustrated (but managing), Overwhelmed, in the Minority

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxtool5

Mar 18, 2019
Ottawa
Hello all!

I quit smoking ~6 weeks ago, quit all “NRT” ~5 weeks ago, took up vaping ~4 weeks ago (though had tried vaping on and off for several years).
I still have not found a juice I fully enjoy. As a very DIY oriented person, I probably need to start mixing my own.
Thankfully, I am stubborn and focused on a single goal, the perfect “Canadian menthol, extra-cool, extra-strong, extra minty” vape. I almost have enough info to start testing.
I think Buckley’s tastes good. I eat Fisherman’s Friends as if they were candy.
I was a menthol smoker, it seems the menthol “love or hate” thing is just as active in the vape community.
I am also not yet convinced I’ll “graduate” to a bigger/better device. I like “cigalikes”, I know they’re weak, I know they’re crappy, etc. The Kanger I bought is much, much better than the older "510s" I had. I also have an “AIO” and just don’t like it as much. For me, the hands free/button free operation is almost a must.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Hello and Welcome and Congrats on quitting smoking!

You'd probably appreciate making your own eliquid -- you control the nicotine strength and flavor level, and a simple strong menthol can be a pretty easy first juice. I was never a menthol smoker, but I do enjoy a touch of menthol vaping (sometimes more than a touch).

Where is your location -- you might be able get better advice about where to order from or even get first hand help from someone local.

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
Fisherman's friends are candy

Anyhow, I like to mix a spearmint, a peppermint and a menthol. I like big mouth and capella for flavors, but I think you can try anything. Take a cue from fisherman's friends and use a few drops of capsicum and eucalyptus for kick. The secret to that really cool vape is a complex flavor. Be careful though, mint, menthol and pepper flavors are irritants and are not very good for you. On the upside, mints combine really well, so no unpleasant surprises after steeping.

My preferred shake and vape for cool cool mint is Halo's Sub Zero, but that's not quite DIY.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I still have not found a juice I fully enjoy. As a very DIY oriented person, I probably need to start mixing my own.
Thankfully, I am stubborn and focused on a single goal, the perfect “Canadian menthol, extra-cool, extra-strong, extra minty” vape.

I was a menthol smoker, it seems the menthol “love or hate” thing is just as active in the vape community.

I am also not yet convinced I’ll “graduate” to a bigger/better device. I like “cigalikes”, I know they’re weak, I know they’re crappy, etc. The Kanger I bought is much, much better than the older "510s" I had. I also have an “AIO” and just don’t like it as much. For me, the hands free/button free operation is almost a must.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
You might want to research the Volts by Smokeless Image if looking for a ciga-like.

voltkit_02.jpg

Smokeless Image: Electronic Cigarettes | Smokeless E-Cigs
Smokeless Image sells Volt e-liquid with a few menthols to choose from. When I smoked it was Marlboro Menthols, and the transition from smoking to vaping was pretty easy. I liked ...

Another menthol that I liked was made by NicQuid. I particularly liked "Smoothol". The "Added Burst" allows you to add additional menthol to your e-liquid.
men-doing_things_the_hard_way-stubborn-wasting_time-sawing-working_outdoors-cwln4443_low.jpg

I gotta tell you though, you're trying to quit smoking the hard way using a ciga-like. Short battery time and small liquid capacity can be very frustrating and lead you back to smoking. I suggest either a pod mod or a smaller vape mod for longer battery time and larger liquid capacity.

Novices often balk at the size of an eGo or mod setup compared to a cigarette. The truth is, in order to match the performance of a cigarette, larger batteries (and battery devices) are necessary. Trust me, if you are serious about quitting smoking, you will have much better success with a battery larger than a cigarette. There's a good reason why Big Tobacco is only involved with ciga-likes such as Blu and Vuse: they suck and they are betting that unsatisfied users will go back to smoking.

Look at it from this perspective: If you do quit smoking via vaping, you will no longer be a smoker, but will then be a vaper. Vaping is different than smoking, and requires a larger battery device to compete with the performance of a cigarette to be successful. Isn't it more important to be using a larger device and not be smoking, than to continue to smoke?

Why You Don't Need an E-Liquid that Tastes Like Cigarettes

A Word on Vaping Technique

Smoking vs Vaping Differences

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

How did you start? -- Testamonials on how current vapers quit smoking with vaping.

Last edited:

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I also think a pod mod might be the way to go instead of a cig-a-like. The bigger problem with those is they don’t have the power to get a hit that’s satisfactory. Also the bigger the hit the better the flavor so it may help you appreciate the flavor of a juice better although diy is the way to go.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I diy, and I’ve gotten good results, but I attempt new flavors with an open mind. I’ll shoot for the concept, then see how it vapes. Sometimes, it’s not exactly what I expected, but still good. Sometimes I get exactly what I tried for, but it doesn’t vape worth a darn.
Still, it’s the process I enjoy.

It shouldn’t be too hard to make juice as you’ve described, and I’m sure someone in the DIY can direct you.

As far as draw activated devices, they are really few and far between. Maybe 1% of vape devices available? And extremely low end. But if you’re willing to put up with the poor performance have at it.

Boxtool5

Mar 18, 2019
Ottawa

You'd probably appreciate making your own eliquid -- you control the nicotine strength and flavor level, and a simple strong menthol can be a pretty easy first juice. I was never a menthol smoker, but I do enjoy a touch of menthol vaping (sometimes more than a touch).

Where is your location -- you might be able get better advice about where to order from or even get first hand help from someone local.
Thanks! I am in Ottawa and can easily order from anyone in Canada, a ferw purchases from Toronto have made it to me the next day.

Boxtool5

Mar 18, 2019
Ottawa

You might want to research the Volts by Smokeless Image if looking for a ciga-like.

voltkit_02.jpg

Smokeless Image: Electronic Cigarettes | Smokeless E-Cigs
Smokeless Image sells Volt e-liquid with a few menthols to choose from. When I smoked it was Marlboro Menthols, and the transition from smoking to vaping was pretty easy. I liked ...

Another menthol that I liked was made by NicQuid. I particularly liked "Smoothol". The "Added Burst" allows you to add additional menthol to your e-liquid.
men-doing_things_the_hard_way-stubborn-wasting_time-sawing-working_outdoors-cwln4443_low.jpg

I gotta tell you though, you're trying to quit smoking the hard way using a ciga-like. Short battery time and small liquid capacity can be very frustrating and lead you back to smoking. I suggest either a pod mod or a smaller vape mod for longer battery time and larger liquid capacity.

Novices often balk at the size of an eGo or mod setup compared to a cigarette. The truth is, in order to match the performance of a cigarette, larger batteries (and battery devices) are necessary. Trust me, if you are serious about quitting smoking, you will have much better success with a battery larger than a cigarette. There's a good reason why Big Tobacco is only involved with ciga-likes such as Blu and Vuse: they suck and they are betting that unsatisfied users will go back to smoking.

Look at it from this perspective: If you do quit smoking via vaping, you will no longer be a smoker, but will then be a vaper. Vaping is different than smoking, and requires a larger battery device to compete with the performance of a cigarette to be successful. Isn't it more important to be using a larger device and not be smoking, than to continue to smoke?

Why You Don't Need an E-Liquid that Tastes Like Cigarettes

A Word on Vaping Technique

Smoking vs Vaping Differences

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

How did you start? -- Testamonials on how current vapers quit smoking with vaping.

Thanks, the volt looks very similar to the "Kanger 808" I have now. I bought 20 empty cartridges and will rely on filling my own for the time being. I am pretty much over the nicotine, though still use a "4mg/ml". TBH it doesn't even feel like I'm getting any....I feel no difference between the 8, the 4 and the 0. I have days where I drain 2 batteries 1-2 times each, I have other days where I don't charge at all. I am an impulsive/compulsive person and the e-cig is perfect when I feel the need to fidget.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Yuppers, I can point you in the right direction. Trust me, all you basically have to do is to quit being so stubborn because your semi-frustration is a clear and obvious sign that you haven't explored the confines of your own personal comfort zone, and, the simple fact you are so desperately clinging on to cigalikes only seems to truly confirm this.

Boxtool5

Mar 18, 2019
Ottawa
Thanks to all, who viewed and replied, It is appreciated.
I have a shopping list for either "thebrewtimevaper" or "thebrokevaper".
At ~$3-$5 for 10ml I'll be buying a few "peppermints"
I am also open to suggestions.
-Menthol
-Koolada
-WS-23
-"Canadian Tobacco" (a few to choose from, not too important I plan only a very small amount).
-There are a few other things like "arctic winter" "menthol e-liquid extract", without knowing their concentrations, I am not sure if these would be redundant, I'll probably paly with all to figure it out.
I am not looking for sweet mint, but I may buy a sweetener too. While not my aim I realize I may need a bit to counter the stronger flavours I'm going for. So far a weird strong "menthol/maple/cigar" juice was the closest thing I've had to what I want, it was just too sweet (maple sweet) and the "wrong for me" cigar flavour tobacco.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
I think you'd really like a pod system, it's still small and you can fill your own juice easier than a cig-a-like, the battery life is still similar to cig-a-likes, there are some better though but not as good as a mod would be, they are at least an improvement over cig-a-likes...there are also smaller mods if you want a step up, like the tried and true eleaf istick 30w with a protank or aero tank
I think you might like to look through Little itty bitty mods under $100. to get an idea of some smaller mods, there's a few pods posted in there but not many it's really for mods

be sure to check out the DIY E-Liquid section and feel free to ask questions

Reactions: Baditude

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Thanks to all, who viewed and replied, It is appreciated.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Finding the right mix can be time consuming but definitely worth it. Might want to look into one shot flavors which can be simple when just starting out. One shot flavors (OS/Flavor Blends) are premixed flavors that are only designed to be used on their own and mixed with a base of Propylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerin and Nicotine (at least one/two/all of the three). One shot mixing is supposed to be close to the flavor promoted on the bottle. These mixes may allow some adjustment of the strength (percentage) of the mix. OS Mixing can be a good introductory to DIY. One shots and flavor blends are simply added per directions to the mixer's desired mixing base, Shake and Vape (SnV) or steep as directed.

Reactions: Boxtool5

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Hello and welcome to ECF.

For ejuice, I'm not in Canada but @TrollDragon and @Punk In Drublic both are, and they might be of some help with some Canadian ejuice companies that make good commerical menthol ejuice. (Fingers crossed)

My husband enjoys that little Renova Zero pod mod, it's refillable, is draw activated and very small. It's a very good little pod mod.. he likes it a lot, and is probably better than an older cigalike. It's the more modern version, if your ever interested in trying one.

Good luck, and congratulations on quitting.

Last edited:

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Have a look at this site...the Halo sub zero is a one shot so you mix it with PG, VG and nic to make your liquid. Sub zero sounds that it might be the thing you're looking for. If you don't want to go the full diy route yet you can also buy a base VG/PG at differing nic strengths.

Arômes Halo - Greenvillage.fr

• Informative
Reactions: Opinionated

Boxtool5

Mar 18, 2019
Ottawa
Yuppers, I can point you in the right direction. Trust me, all you basically have to do is to quit being so stubborn because your semi-frustration is a clear and obvious sign that you haven't explored the confines of your own personal comfort zone, and, the simple fact you are so desperately clinging on to cigalikes only seems to truly confirm this.
I realize I'm in the minority....If you can point me in the right direction for a strong menthol e-juice, please do. I was a guy who smoked in the shower, I smoked while cooking, I smoked in the workshop and I need handsfree. I don't care about nicotine levels, I don't care about clouds, I don't care about throat hit.....Cigalike is perfect for me (and I no longer have to squint & tilt to keep smoke out of my eyes).

• Love
Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I realize I'm in the minority....If you can point me in the right direction for a strong menthol e-juice, please do. I was a guy who smoked in the shower, I smoked while cooking, I smoked in the workshop and I need handsfree. I don't care about nicotine levels, I don't care about clouds, I don't care about throat hit.....Cigalike is perfect for me (and I no longer have to squint & tilt to keep smoke out of my eyes).

Try this.

Menthol by DV Labs - US at DashVapes.com

You can choose 50mg nicotine salts so your good if you'd like to try this..

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@Opinionated – thanks for the tag but unfortunately despite my Canadian heritage EH!, I am probably not the best to give advice on menthol flavoured juices. I don’t mind a good menthol pull every now and then, but they are more of a treat once in a while rather than something I would vape with any consistency.

@Boxtool5 – According to Google, there seems to be a good number of vape shops in the Ottawa area. If you haven’t already, perhaps you just need to get on your bike and go sample some juices in store.

If comfortable buying blindly, Dashvapes is a great online store to which the majority of their juices, if not all, are made to order. This does ensure the freshest juice possible but sometimes a week or 2 steep is needed. They are also an excellent Canadian source for DIY (as I await my DIY order from them)

Saga Vapes also has a massive juice selection…largest I’ve seen in Canada. Quick glance 160+ different menthol based juices (or what they classify menthol). Prices are competitive - but if ordering from them, take note of their hours of operation and the days they ship for it is outside the norm. But they offer free shipping over $30 and 10% off purchases over $80. The Blue Diamond by Canadian Blackwood E-Liquid has sparked my interest but have yet to try. The rest of their juice is awesome! Black cherry whisky tobacco….it is silly how good this stuff is!

DIY may just be your solution. But as I am learning the hard way this is not a guaranteed success and may take some trial and error. But you are in control of the final product so the possibilities can be promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread