Status
Not open for further replies.

firephly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
CA
"Our inaugural Hop Harvest offering combines the bright fruity citrus flavor of Citra hops with the deep bitter spiceyness of Cascade hops. This is a Limited Release of 25 bottles - Orders Will Ship Monday, April 28th.

Hop-heads and IPA lovers rejoice! Frontier Vapor is proud to announce Hop Harvest, our new monthly line of small-batch e-liquid crafted exclusively for the Hops enthusiast.

A new Hop Harvest blend will be handcrafted each month with triple-filtered extracts from the finest all natural whole-cone hops. This is not a beer flavored e-liquid, rather it has been created to showcase the delicious herbal notes of the hop plant. It pairs well with a Pale Ale or IPA.

Hop Harvest is only available in 32mL Glass Dropper Bottles, and is mixed at a 50/50 pg/vg ratio.
We recommend trying Hop Harvest at lower nicotine strengths to preserve the full range of hop notes."

Hop Harvest April 2014 - Limited Edition e-Liquid - FrontierVapor.com

What do you think? I have no idea how a hop tastes all by itself-does anyone know?

firephly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
CA
Ordered a bottle as soon as I finished the first sentence. I'm a big IPA guy, I really want this to be good.

Please please review it when you try it!

The maker says "Different varieties of hops have different flavors, however most hops taste of bitter citrus, with some floral undertones."

GreenEyesDon'tLie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
MD, USA
Please please review it when you try it!
If it's good I'll be doing a review every month when they release new ones. Hopefully written before too many of the beers I'll be drinking with it...

And my advice if you don't have a good idea of what hops taste like: Try a sip of an IPA, then a sip of normal beer right after, and focus on what's different between them. Most of the difference in flavor will be the hops. "Bitter citrus with floral undertones" isn't too far off, but there's more to it than that.

Hey all! Alexander with Frontier Vapor here... I'm really glad to see that folks are interested in this juice! I've been trying to find a good Hoppy vape for years, and finally decided to just make it myself. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it, GreenEyesDon'tLie. I'm always interested in honing my craft, so constructive criticism is invaluable! I'd love it if you could drop me a PM or e-mail (my email address will be on your receipt) letting me know when you've posted up a review!

And my advice if you don't have a good idea of what hops taste like: Try a sip of an IPA, then a sip of normal beer right after, and focus on what's different between them. Most of the difference in flavor will be the hops.

This is a great suggestion for learning about hops. Stone's Ruination is the beer that first turned me into a hophead, but it is really quite bitter. These days I tend to seek out the lower ABV IPAs, as I find the character of the hops shows through in a much more defined way.

Lately I've really been enjoying Ballast Point's "Sculpin" IPA and Smuttynose's "Finestkind" IPA.

Sierra Nevada's "Celebration" is my go-to when it's in season (around Christmas time). The look of the bottle makes you think it'll be some sort of spiced Christmas beer, but no, not at all. DELICIOUS American IPA. Don't miss it.

a bitter e liquid sounds interesting-most have some sweetness so it'd be a nice change

Hop Harvest does have the bitterness, but it also has sweetness.

As you probably know, VG itself has a relatively sweet character, so a certain sweetness is unavoidable. I could blend future batches at 75/25 to cut down on the sweetness imparted by the VG. 50/50 has been the most popular ratio for us, which is why I decided to go that route. Personally, I find that it strikes a nice balance.

I'm going to wait to hear some feedback on this initial run before I decide on any ratio changes.

Pamailman said:
Well I ordered one and will let you all know what I think. If the bar has an IPA or a pale ale that is my go to brew. If not there is always a Yuengling.

I grew up in PA, so I get a little jealous whenever someone mentions drinking Yuengling. I'd love a cold Lager right now... can't get it in Illinois. Can't wait to hear what you think of the Hop Harvest!

Pamailman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2014
Western Pa
Okay, so bottle #20 of 25 showed up yesterday at a 6mg strength. Nice glass bottle with dropper. A little ribbon holding on a tag with bottle # and other info. Juice was ultrasonic heat seeped and the label said it was ready to go. Upon cracking it open it smells of an IPA without a thickness to it. Kind of an airy citrus smell without the alcohol aroma. Nice clean liquid with a yellow tinge to it.
First shot at it was with an Origin V1 wrapped at .7 on a mech mod. First pull was a mouth lung hit. Had a nice bite to it but a mild throat hit. A lemony citrus taste on the inhale and more pronounced on the exhale. Flavor lingered as an aftertaste for quite awhile. I found it very pleasant much like the aftertaste of a good IPA. Next I went for a throat hit. I found a more pronounced citrus as the vapor passed over the tongue and the throat hit was also stronger. On exhale it produce a nice plume with a really pleasant aftertaste. Took a drive to a local vape shop and let 5 others try it. Ended up with 4 that found it extremely nice and the other was someone who really liked sweet vapes and this really wasn't up his alley.
Today I loaded up a freshly built Russian 91 with a 1.3 build on a regulated mod at 10 1/2 watts. Actually liked this better than the dripper. Mouth to lung seemed to have more of a richer flavor. The throat hit was still slight but the vaper seemed heavier to me. Lung hit also had less to the throat but I liked the flavor more. Vapor production was very nice and the aftertaste still lingered on for quite a while.
Alexander at Frontier Vaping has a winner on his hands here. I am definitely looking forward to his up coming attempts at creating other hop juices. I really think that 6mg is plenty of nic as it keeps the hop taste pro dominant. The hops themselves give the nice throat hit.
I wish it was a bigger bottle though.

firephly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
CA
Okay, so bottle #20 of 25 showed up yesterday at a 6mg strength. Nice glass bottle with dropper. A little ribbon holding on a tag with bottle # and other info. Juice was ultrasonic heat seeped and the label said it was ready to go. Upon cracking it open it smells of an IPA without a thickness to it. Kind of an airy citrus smell without the alcohol aroma. Nice clean liquid with a yellow tinge to it.
First shot at it was with an Origin V1 wrapped at .7 on a mech mod. First pull was a mouth lung hit. Had a nice bite to it but a mild throat hit. A lemony citrus taste on the inhale and more pronounced on the exhale. Flavor lingered as an aftertaste for quite awhile. I found it very pleasant much like the aftertaste of a good IPA. Next I went for a throat hit. I found a more pronounced citrus as the vapor passed over the tongue and the throat hit was also stronger. On exhale it produce a nice plume with a really pleasant aftertaste. Took a drive to a local vape shop and let 5 others try it. Ended up with 4 that found it extremely nice and the other was someone who really liked sweet vapes and this really wasn't up his alley.
Today I loaded up a freshly built Russian 91 with a 1.3 build on a regulated mod at 10 1/2 watts. Actually liked this better than the dripper. Mouth to lung seemed to have more of a richer flavor. The throat hit was still slight but the vaper seemed heavier to me. Lung hit also had less to the throat but I liked the flavor more. Vapor production was very nice and the aftertaste still lingered on for quite a while.
Alexander at Frontier Vaping has a winner on his hands here. I am definitely looking forward to his up coming attempts at creating other hop juices. I really think that 6mg is plenty of nic as it keeps the hop taste pro dominant. The hops themselves give the nice throat hit.
I wish it was a bigger bottle though.

Great review!

so, was it a little bitter? Also how bold is the flavor?

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to everyone who has tried our first Hop Harvest offering! We've been blown away by the response, and are hard at work on May's blend, a complex offering featuring Simcoe hops. It'll be available on our site in about 2 weeks, and we're looking at an availability of somewhere between 50-70 bottles.

We're also hard at work on a less-limited re-release of April's Hop Harvest for those who missed out, as well as a subscription service for those looking to try each month's limited blend! In the meantime, if you're interested in being notified of Hop Havest availability, drop me a PM and let me know (optionally, include your email address if you would prefer to be notified via email).

Thanks again fellow hopheads, and please, let me know if there are any specific hop blends you'd like to see in future releases!

scurry64

Aug 3, 2011
Western PA
I am disappointed that I missed this release, but looking forward to the May release. Actually, I am somewhat more excited about the may release because I am not a big fan of Citra hops. They remind me of grapefruit, which reminds me of vomit. I don't mean to be vulgar and I'm not criticizing the e-liquid product that I haven't even tried.

I don't know what May's blend will be, but I'm hoping for something along the lines of Magnum/Chinook, or Centennial. I would like to mix cocoa/chocolate with malt and hops to create a chocolate stout e-liquid.

Anyway, I signed up to be notified of the next release and I'll be sure to let you know what I think.

Thank you, Alexander, for this brilliant idea.

firephly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
CA
Huge beer enthusiast here. I am more of a malt head but I do like pales and IPA's. Had a few SNPA's last night, in fact. So sad that I missed this release! I will try to be on board for the next one.

firephly- You can't take the sky from me! Loved that show!

I've never seen that show, i guess i'll have to check it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread