New-ish. Questions about nicotine levels, DIY liquid, and flavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsCetacea

Oct 8, 2015
Hello,
I tried ecigs a few years ago but went back to my regular cigarettes. This time I'm smoking both. Sometimes I still just want a regular cigarette.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows how the nicotine levels, specifically 2.4%, compares to a regular cigarette (sp. Ultra Lights) per inhalation. I've done my own research, but there seems to be a wide discrepancy in the data I've found.

Secondly: After my V2 starter kit, I ordered the refillable cartridges and nicotine liquid. Now, this I've never done before. It appears to be fairly simple. Opinions?

Lastly: I was curious about flavors. Is it possible to mix flavors and nicotine? How does this affect the nicotine level per inhalation? Do flavors have an accompanying odor? What would be a good flavor to try for the 1st time?

Last edited:

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
Hello and welcome. It's very tough to compare nic levels between vaping and smoking, it's not absorbed by the body in the same way. I'd suggest just starting somewhere and adjust if needed. 2.4%(24mg) might be high for what you were smoking. Maybe try 12 or 18mg first would be my advice.

There are others who could advise as to what to get to have the best chance at success, so I'll leave them do that. I'm not up on the latest and greatest at the moment. I would recomend though to get something other than a traditional cigalike. They're generally lacking in performance for many to quit smoking for good.

Sure you can mix liquids, even make your own from scratch. Probably be best for you to visit the DIY liquid forum and start at the beginning. https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/forums/diy-e-liquid.38/

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Hello, welcome to this great Forum. 24mg. might be too high a level as bacc.vap posted. There are some charts floating around with recommended nicotine levels based on packs and cigs. These should be regarded as 'maybe' and not 'set in stone' recommendations though. For instance, I prefer a 24mg. (2.4%) per ml. nic level, and these charts suggest 24mg/ml levels for 2 pack a day smokers. I smoked 3 - 4 packs a week, and every once in a while would 'cig binge' and smoke most of a pack in a day.

It's very difficult to compare the two (cigs vs. PV's (personal or portable vaporizers)), because they are just not the same. It's an apples and oranges kind of thing..

It is possible to add flavor and even nicotine to a base liquid (usually of Propylene Glycol (PG) & Vegetable Glycerin (VG)), and adding a flavor or flavors does decrease the level of nicotine in that liquid, but a very very little bit. I was introduced to this online juice calculator a while back. It has been helpful for me and there are a ton more, both online and programs you can d/l for your computer or your phone.

MsCetacea

Oct 8, 2015
    Hello and welcome. It's very tough to compare nic levels between vaping and smoking, it's not absorbed by the body in the same way. I'd suggest just starting somewhere and adjust if needed. 2.4%(24mg) might be high for what you were smoking. Maybe try 12 or 18mg first would be my advice.

There are others who could advise as to what to get to have the best chance at success, so I'll leave them do that. I'm not up on the latest and greatest at the moment. I would recomend though to get something other than a traditional cigalike. They're generally lacking in performance for many to quit smoking for good.

Sure you can mix liquids, even make your own from scratch. Probably be best for you to visit the DIY liquid forum and start at the beginning. https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/forums/diy-e-liquid.38/

Thank you for the welcome and the advice.

I tried lower concentrations before and they did not satisfy. That's why I decided to go with 2.4% this time. Much more to my liking.

I'm not sure what a "cigalike" is.

I have. Thank you. Just waiting to make my minimum number of posts so I can ask a few questions over there.

MsCetacea

Oct 8, 2015
    Hello, welcome to this great Forum. 24mg. might be too high a level as bacc.vap posted. There are some charts floating around with recommended nicotine levels based on packs and cigs. These should be regarded as 'maybe' and not 'set in stone' recommendations though. For instance, I prefer a 24mg. (2.4%) per ml. nic level, and these charts suggest 24mg/ml levels for 2 pack a day smokers. I smoked 3 - 4 packs a week, and every once in a while would 'cig binge' and smoke most of a pack in a day.

It's very difficult to compare the two (cigs vs. PV's (personal or portable vaporizers)), because they are just not the same. It's an apples and oranges kind of thing..

It is possible to add flavor and even nicotine to a base liquid (usually of Propylene Glycol (PG) & Vegetable Glycerin (VG)), and adding a flavor or flavors does decrease the level of nicotine in that liquid, but a very very little bit. I was introduced to this online juice calculator a while back. It has been helpful for me and there are a ton more, both online and programs you can d/l for your computer or your phone.

Hello. Thank you.

As far as the overall experience, I agree. I was more looking for actual data comparing the two - just out of curiosity.

Thank you. I've been looking for an online calculator. I found a couple of recommendations for apps that are helpful, too.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    - just out of curiosity.
    I've been a bit on the curious side today as well. Cat's stay well I hope.. If you want, you can check out the 'Vaperage' part of my vapin' page. It's toward the bottom. SoMDcomputerguy - Vape. There's a few links related to cigarette and PV nicotine levels. Take them with a grain of salt though. Then some Tequila, don't forget the lime either.. ;)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread