Status
Not open for further replies.

spawnsharks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2013
Austin, TX
Hello,

I just got my MVP in the mail on Saturday. It was one of two new mods, so it has only gotten 1/2 of the attention. Even though I have barely used it (battery still at 3.7v on first charge), I have gone through 3 heads on my PT3.

As I was double checking that the Voltage was setting correctly when using the Wattage setting (simply looking at the current voltage after adjusting the Wattage) I noticed that the menu behavior does not match what is written in the manual, and I am wondering if the regulator is not working. Here are the symptoms:

I will put the verbiage from the manual in black, and the devices behavior in blue.

Variable Voltage Mode: Press the "U" button for 3 seconds to enter variable voltage mode. The screen will show you the Puff counter first followed by the last adjustment (The last adjustment may be a voltage or wattage setting), after showing the last adjustment, the iTaste MVP will enter variable voltage mode. Voltage can be adjusted from 3.3 to 5.0 volts in .1 volt increments by pressing the "U" button.

When the "U" button is pressed, it shows the puff counter, followed by the last voltage setting input by me. This does not necessarily correlate with the wattage setting, it is just the last voltage I set it to. I can adjust the voltage from here.

Variable Wattage Mode: Press the "P" button for 3 seconds to enter variable wattage mode. The screen will show you the Puff counter first followed by the last adjustment (The last adjustment may be a voltage or wattage setting), after showing the last adjustment, the iTaste MVP will enter variable wattage mode. Wattage can be adjusted from 6.0 to 11 volts in .5 volt increments by pressing the "U" button.

When the "P" button is pressed, it shows the puff counter, followed by the last wattage setting input by me. This does not necessarily correlate with the voltage setting, it is just the last wattage I set it to. I can adjust the wattage from here.

Ohms Meter & Battery level indicator & Puff Counter: Hold both the "P" and "U" buttons simultaneous for 2 seconds. The screen will show a series of readings, the first being the resistance of the attached load (Rx.x, for example R2.2), the second being the battery voltage, the third being the number of puffs since the device was last turned off and the fourth being the last setting or wattage. If no load is attached, the display will show "NON"

When I press and hold both buttons, it shows me the resistance of the load, then the battery voltage... and that's it. The screen turns off at this point.

The thing about this behavior that concerns me is that the device should be adjusting itself according to Ohm's law. It does not seem to do this. If I have a 2.0 Ohm load in the device, and set the Voltage to 4v, then it should be at 8 Watts. I can go into the menu, and set the Wattage to 9.5 watts, for instance, then go into the voltage setting, it still displays 'V4.0' If I drop it to, say 3.2, and go back into the Wattage, it will still read 9.5. I can bump that to 11, and go back and forth between the two buttons, and after the Puff Count, they will read 3.2V and 11W respectfully. At no time does the 2 button method reveal anything other than the puff count and battery voltage.

Now, I have set them to a nice 7watts (set the Voltage to 3.7 and set the wattage to 7, then check both a second time) with a new head. Within 3 or 4 puffs, I get a burnt wick. This is not a good sign.

Any advice?

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Hi spawnsharks... let me see if I can clear up a few misconceptions for you - and point out that what you are describing is exactly how the MVP2 works...

First, you need to know that wattage and voltage are independent of each other. If you set wattage, and go back to voltage... the voltage will be what ever it was set at the last time you were in voltage mode. Voltage will not change on the screen, because you changed wattage.
Voltage will adjust via the microprocessor based on wattage setting and atomizer resistance... but you don't see that happen on the screen. Set your voltage to 3.3v. Now go to wattage mode and set it at 11 watts. Briefly fire the atty. Now... go back to voltage mode... still 3.3v right? See what I mean?

Pretty much as you described... the available options are:

1. Press both buttons - Atomizer resistance and remaining battery voltage.
  2. Press 'U' and you go into voltage adjustment mode. You get "puffs" - then you see your last voltage setting. continue to press the button, and it will cycle to it's max of 5v, then back to it's base 3.3v. If you stop right there, you remain in "voltage mode" at what ever you set it at... and wattage mode is disabled - until you enter wattage mode.
  3. Press 'P' and you go into wattage adjustment mode. You get "puffs" - then you see your last wattage setting. continue to press the button, and it will cycle to it's max of 11w, then back to it's base 6w. If you stop right there, you remain in "wattage mode" at what ever you set it at... and voltage mode is disabled - until you enter voltage mode.
Voltage is still delivered to the atty... but in wattage mode it is a - not visible on the screen - variable based on ohms law based wattage setting and atomizer resistance.

Please read this article... you may find it useful.

If I've misread your post and have taken off on a direction of no value to you, I'm sorry. It's late and I'm a bit dingy. :blink:

spawnsharks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2013
Austin, TX
Gotcha. I thought that while, Voltage and Wattage are adjusted separately, they were hand in hand as they are in life. I figured that there was one processor that adjusted the Wattage when the Voltage was changed, and vica-versa.

Now, what about the constant burnt wicks. I had my eGo Twist set to somewhere around 3.7-3.9V most of the time, so I duplicated that on the MVP, and with moderate use, a brand new head only lasts half a day or so before tasting burnt...

And my other question had to do with my device reporting data differently than the instructions.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Now, what about the constant burnt wicks. I had my eGo Twist set to somewhere around 3.7-3.9V most of the time, so I duplicated that on the MVP, and with moderate use, a brand new head only lasts half a day or so before tasting burnt...

And my other question had to do with my device reporting data differently than the instructions.
Can't help you with burnt wicks... I haven't used any clearos in a while and don't know the quality, or - you may have a faulty MVP2. When I use my MVP2, it's with 2.0Ω Boge/Ikenvape cartos in IBT tanks, or with a Kayfun at around 1.6Ω.
In either instance, I'm running around 7-9 watts, or 4 to 4.5 volts.... but being a lazy ......., usually around 8.5 watts for everything. ;-)

On the instructions, I think that most MVP2 owners would agree that who ever wrote them (or translated), had no real idea how the thing works... you're not the first person to "have issue" with them not jiving with the actual setting process and/or questionable results.

Re-post your wick issues in the APV forum... you'll get a bunch more responses than in this backwater, edge of darkness tech issues subforum. :)

Good luck!

COPD

Jan 24, 2014
Birmingham, AL, USA
... If you set wattage, and go back to voltage... the voltage will be what ever it was set at the last time you were in voltage mode. Voltage will not change on the screen, because you changed wattage. ... Voltage will adjust via the microprocessor based on wattage setting and atomizer resistance... but you don't see that happen on the screen. ... ... If you stop right there, you remain in "wattage mode" at what ever you set it at... and voltage mode is disabled - until you enter voltage mode. ... ... Voltage is still delivered to the atty... but in wattage mode it is a - not visible on the screen - variable based on ohms law based wattage setting and atomizer resistance.

YES! Thank you State O' Flux :wub: Thought I was doing something wrong until I read this.

My MVP 2 DOES change voltage automatically - I just can't see it on the screen.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Gotcha. I thought that while, Voltage and Wattage are adjusted separately, they were hand in hand as they are in life. I figured that there was one processor that adjusted the Wattage when the Voltage was changed, and vica-versa.

Your ego twist may well be off in the settings. The MVP2 is digital and accurate. What brand is it? Or is it a clone? Clones are cheap knockoffs and no testing or standards before they are shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread