New Jersey tax increased. Has it happened to you yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike F

Apr 28, 2018
I just got back from my local vape shop. And wow, taxes went up. I paid 27 dollars and change for a 35ml bottle that was 20 even. Now I usually order from vista anyway which is 16.99 for a 102ml. But in a pinch, I go to vape shops. I mean why not just smoke if it is gonna be that expensive. What do you pay in your state at your vape shops for e-juice?

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
If I were to buy a bigger quantity (than 10ml) about
milkman.png

and that's without nicotine. That'd be another 1€, so 25,90€ or $29,75. Ah yeah it's 3mg/ml then.
So not too far away.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Big tobacco has for years been moving state by state putting pressure on government to raise ecig prices while simultaneously denying doing so because “they are ecig companies too” even though basically all their ecig holdings are bought out companies that sell gas station garbage

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I don't know our sales tax but about a month ago I bought a 30ml bottle with 24%nic salt In a B&M and it cost $30. Plus nicotine tax. I haven't gone back. The identical bottle online cost $10 - $15 with no nicotine tax. I'm concerned what it might cost now.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
As a DIYer, and buying supplies online; I am only paying $0.92/30mL, for a recipe that uses 9% flavoring (5 ingredients), and 18mg/mL nic. I can't complain! :thumbs::D

(My unflavored ADV only runs $0.37/30mL @ the same 18mg/mL. Buying PG, VG, and nicotine concentrate (100mg/mL), helps lower the cost. ;) )

The price of commercial e-liquids is what drove me to DIY. Now, with these ridiculous taxes, I can't even begin to imagine paying those prices.
:toast:

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Sales tax where I live. There's probably a tax or fee placed on the buyer of the products they sell in my state and it is likely added to the sellers price.

I wonder why so many folks think big tobacco is behind these 'sin' taxes when it's politicians doing it. They place taxes on items like beer and cigarettes to fund government programs then say it's for the children, for the schools, for the roads etc.

Government places 'sin tax' on sweetened sodas in some places. But that isn't because big soda is causing it to try to put small soda companies out of business anymore than 'sin tax' on craft beer isn't due to big alcohol pushing that.

It's bloated government beauracracies that spend lots of our money for enriching their friends, providing unnecessary government services and providing gimmicks to keep voters on their side. If big tobacco disappeared like breath steam on a chilly morning those tax and spend agencies would dig into your wallet from another source. It's that simple.

As long as we continue to re-elect big spending government officials we will continue to see fees increase, taxes be levied on our fun and regulations to keep us corraled into their cages.

Vote this November. Not saying one party or the other is to blame. It's ALL OF THEM. We need to change our government officials at election time for the same reason as changing diapers.

My local and state officials like to claim "we haven't raised your taxes in years". Yup 5.5% has been around for decades. However a dollar here and a dollar there more and more of my income goes to the government who does less and less for me as time unfolds. My income is less while roads crumble and schools decay. Yet when I go to their website to look up regulations for example, I'm bombarded with all the free stuff available.

So the money has to come from somewhere. Many states charge internet sales tax too. So far my state does not. Nor do they add a ginormous tax to vape juice or devices. But as more folks flock to my state from high tax and spend areas then vote in high tax and spend officials it's just a matter of time until they discover the hidden coins at vape shops.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Sales tax where I live. There's probably a tax or fee placed on the buyer of the products they sell in my state and it is likely added to the sellers price.

I wonder why so many folks think big tobacco is behind these 'sin' taxes when it's politicians doing it. They place taxes on items like beer and cigarettes to fund government programs then say it's for the children, for the schools, for the roads etc.

Government places 'sin tax' on sweetened sodas in some places. But that isn't because big soda is causing it to try to put small soda companies out of business anymore than 'sin tax' on craft beer isn't due to big alcohol pushing that.

It's bloated government beauracracies that spend lots of our money for enriching their friends, providing unnecessary government services and providing gimmicks to keep voters on their side. If big tobacco disappeared like breath steam on a chilly morning those tax and spend agencies would dig into your wallet from another source. It's that simple.

As long as we continue to re-elect big spending government officials we will continue to see fees increase, taxes be levied on our fun and regulations to keep us corraled into their cages.

Vote this November. Not saying one party or the other is to blame. It's ALL OF THEM. We need to change our government officials at election time for the same reason as changing diapers.

My local and state officials like to claim "we haven't raised your taxes in years". Yup 5.5% has been around for decades. However a dollar here and a dollar there more and more of my income goes to the government who does less and less for me as time unfolds. My income is less while roads crumble and schools decay. Yet when I go to their website to look up regulations for example, I'm bombarded with all the free stuff available.

So the money has to come from somewhere. Many states charge internet sales tax too. So far my state does not. Nor do they add a ginormous tax to vape juice or devices. But as more folks flock to my state from high tax and spend areas then vote in high tax and spend officials it's just a matter of time until they discover the hidden coins at vape shops.
That’s like saying the knive stabs not the person

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
How do you figure?

I work for the government and see from the inside where the money goes. I also see officials contemplate "if only we could tap into X as a resource for cash".

I remember when my town proposed a meals tax and thought the people would never go for that. It's now 11% to eat at a restaraunt.
It was 10% until someone decided to go up to 11 to pay for a $900,000 fire truck. That truck was paid for long ago but it's still 11%.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I just got back from my local vape shop. And wow, taxes went up. I paid 27 dollars and change for a 35ml bottle that was 20 even. Now I usually order from vista anyway which is 16.99 for a 102ml. But in a pinch, I go to vape shops. I mean why not just smoke if it is gonna be that expensive. What do you pay in your state at your vape shops for e-juice?

Most/many of us make our own juices. You need 100mg/ml nicotine base, and a few other ingredients.

The main reason we vape is to stay off the smokes. Vaping is the cure and it's far cheaper than buying smokes. At $6+ average in the US, smoking is a lot more expensive than vaping. If you smoke 1 pack a day, that's 365 X $6 = $2190.00/year. You can buy a lot of juice for that amount. If you learn to make your own juice the personal profit is enormous.

Aside from much lower cost, the juice you make from recipes on ECF can be better than the juice you paid dearly for. It's easy to mix juice and you can start with the ingredients and mix them in a bottle using a small amount of Nicotine, flavors, PG, and VG.

Go here for the DIY forum. There's lots of people to help you get started.
DIY E-Liquid

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That's what yall get for living in nanny Blue states.

7% county sales tax here. And done.
Bruce in Ocala, Fl
Yeah my step sister lives in Florida. She’s been trying to get out for the last ten years. The health care system there nearly killed her twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread