New Joyetech 20watt eGrip

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedWicks

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2015
This is the eGrip after a 30min walk sharing the pocket with a keyring

eg01.jpg

Good news is it didn't leak (using CS stock coil)

Last edited:

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Are there any cheap devices I could use for the 510 adapter to fire the coil and measure resistance?

Cheap, hmmmm....most cheap batts are protected against short circuit below 1ohm.....no sub-ohm capability.

Maybe you can find a used mech mod, battery and charger for 10£ or so?

WickedWicks

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2015
So how do the various coils available compare?

I like the rba but I'm finding it too fusy. The stock coils are too hot with little flavour. Are the GS air coils or the Aspire BVC any better than stock... ?
Confirming stock CS coil performs horribel (even with 1 of the outer filling layers removed). It has to be run in lowest setting to prevent getting a burning sensation. However this way it produces very little vapor and especially flavour. I'm not fan of ready made dual coils heads in general as they tend to get too hot too quickly. I much better like a thicker wire single coil.

First impression with the Aspire BVC is pretty decent. Runs also fine at higher voltages and produces more flavor & vapor. Do you guys seal off the BVC with the chimney btw? A Kanger single coil top cap eg fits the chimney, but then the base screws in even less.

pokemom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Lauderhill, Florida, United States
Confirming stock CS coil performs horribel (even with 1 of the outer filling layers removed). It has to be run in lowest setting to prevent getting a burning sensation. However this way it produces very little vapor and especially flavour. I'm not fan of ready made dual coils heads in general as they tend to get too hot too quickly. I much better like a thicker wire single coil.

First impression with the Aspire BVC is pretty decent. Runs also fine at higher voltages and produces more flavor & vapor. Do you guys seal off the BVC with the chimney btw? A Kanger single coil top cap eg fits the chimney, but then the base screws in even less.

The stock coils tasted burnt to me at even 8W. The BVC worked well, but I didn't like not having the bottom of the tank flush to the bottom of the device. The GS Air work great. I haven't had any problems and I can take the device all the way up with no issues.

alongo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Protem, Missouri
I just recieved my 3 rd replacement from joyetech. 1st was doa, 2nd had the charging port problem, now the new one fires and then doesn't fire. Shows its shorted some times on the rda, but fires the reg coil sometimes. I am ready to call it quits, i have all kinds of mods and rdas never have any problems. Will take apart and clean, and see what happens, if it does not start working i will ask joytech for refund. Aggghhh.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I got the 3rd egrip working, the factory installed coil in the rba was bad, and the factory reg coil that came in the egrip was bad. My luck. Changed them both and the grip is working. Thr rba is a juice hog and can be run at 20w with no burning. It is awful noisey, will try and make a coil for it today with the coil closer to the deck to see if it might quiet it done. Any suggestions for quieting this beast down?

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
The stock coils tasted burnt to me at even 8W. The BVC worked well, but I didn't like not having the bottom of the tank flush to the bottom of the device. The GS Air work great. I haven't had any problems and I can take the device all the way up with no issues.

What is the GS Air? Thanks!

pokemom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Lauderhill, Florida, United States
What is the GS Air? Thanks!

The GS Air is eleaf's new clearomizer that they introduced to be used with the istick 20W. The base seems to be the same base as the stock coil base for the egrip. Since eleaf is a subsidiary (or has some relationship) of Joytech, I think that the bases are probably exactly the same. Some say the coils are the same, but I haven't found that to be true in the way they work. Plus the GS coils are much less expensive.

Kh888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Illinois
Since I installed the RBA base, I seem to have misplaced my regular atomizer base. I called Joyetech's customer service to see if they sold replacements and whoever I was talking to seemed to have no clue what I was referring to.

Does anybody know where one could buy a replacement?

I would try Cignot: www.cignot.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JuiceJug

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2013
Canton,OH
Couple of things Vibez, do you have the 510 adaptor so you can fire the rba on a different device, like a mech mod or subohm capable box mod? Reason why I ask is because the turns can be shorted together when the coil is brand new. Until you fire a brand new coil the alumina has not formed on the wire yet. Alumina develops when the coil gets red hot and until is does you could have shorts between the turns of the coil. This would make the coil appear to the Egrip as too low of res and so it won't fire it.

Also when you install the coil on the rba make sure that each wire lead is only touching the terminal block it is attached to. It's quite easy to have the wire lead attached to the smaller terminal block short out against the larger terminal block.

And as others have suggested check for metallic debris.

Hope all you lurking noobs are listening; you cannot just measure the res of an unfired contact microcoil to determine it's resistance. It has to be fired and the turns given a chance to become electrically isolated by the formation of alumina crystals on the wire before true res can be measured.

I had that same problem. Cigatron told me to spread the coils out a little bit and see what happens. It worked

Skunkworkx

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2014
Harford County, Maryland
I got the 3rd egrip working, the factory installed coil in the rba was bad, and the factory reg coil that came in the egrip was bad. My luck. Changed them both and the grip is working. Thr rba is a juice hog and can be run at 20w with no burning. It is awful noisey, will try and make a coil for it today with the coil closer to the deck to see if it might quiet it done. Any suggestions for quieting this beast down?

I noticed mine quieted down on a few of my DIY coils depending on the amount of cotton used.(may have choked off the air flow some too since the draw got tighter.)
Just picked up a 30' spool of 28ga kanthral from the B&M store, so I have some work to do :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread