Not open for further replies.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I have asthma and i vape 50/50 ratio. I have noticed that is not the pg or vg that bother me. It is random flavors that do it. I can't vape my favorite flavor white peach ala zoe any more. And have found a few others I can not use or else asthma sets in. So now i avoid any flavors that give me that reaction.
I thought maybe it was a brand of flavorings that the vendors use but I also diy my liquids and have all diff brands. And it's no one brand that gives me the issues.
I hope you are able to figure out your issues.

I would suspect that's true but it's hard to narrow down. One member here had a bad reaction to banana flavoring.

Thanks, Stosh, Vapor Eyes Er, and Caridwen - I'm off to do some more reading.

Ahall, it never occurred to me that flavors could be the problem! I assumed it had to be the fluid type. It sounds like you've become more sensitive to certain flavors over time? Is there an obvious difference in your asthma when vaping compared to smoking?

ahall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
illinois
Vaping flavors that I don't have a reaction like that to gives me no asthma issues at all. Even chain vaping. Even being around smoke sends me to an inhaler or nebulizer every time.
I don't think I got more sensitive over time although that might be true. I think I was just not wanting to admit what the issue was since it was my favorite flavor lol. Took a while to put it together.

Vaping flavors that I don't have a reaction like that to gives me no asthma issues at all. Even chain vaping. Even being around smoke sends me to an inhaler or nebulizer every time.
I don't think I got more sensitive over time although that might be true. I think I was just not wanting to admit what the issue was since it was my favorite flavor lol. Took a while to put it together.

Probably the only thing that has been disappointing to me in my two months of not smoking is that I don't feel remarkably better. Still have asthma issues, but slight and very manageable -- unless, like you, I'm exposed to triggers. This is fall leaf mold season so it's worse than usual. The episode last night made it impossible for me not to admit that the new juice was the trigger. I'm glad I know of at least two brands/manufacturers that don't cause problems. I'm not sure I'll ever go the diy route, just due to a lack of free time.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
If the VG is the culprit

Probably FLAVORINGS is the culprit.

BTW, the reason some VG juices are thinner is because vendor thins with distilled water. You can do that yourself as well, one or two droppers of DT in a bottle of juice, til you like the consistency. Make sure water is distilled, and of course, sterile. :)

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Yes, I think inhalers do use PG, but the quantity would be a zillion times less than all day vaping.
Very good point.

I also used one of the Hawaii flavors from Roar.
Mike makes great juice. Keep in mind that a lot of fruit flavors can crack a clearo tank, thus be irritating to lungs. Esp anything in citrus family but have seen it with other fruits. Likewise, cinnamon, etc.

I don't have asthma and can't vape most fruits.

Very good point.

Mike makes great juice. Keep in mind that a lot of fruit flavors can crack a clearo tank, thus be irritating to lungs. Esp anything in citrus family but have seen it with other fruits. Likewise, cinnamon, etc.

I don't have asthma and can't vape most fruits.

Yes, I'd read that some fluids could crack the plastic tanks. I used the Triton tanks for the Roar flavors. They didn't crack, but I suppose they could have interacted with the plastic to create something nasty. The local fluid I used in a Kanger glass tank. I sure hope I can continue to vape fruit flavors, the only other flavors that I like, but not nearly as well, are yesterday's lemon meringue (still fruit), my mix of Virgin Vapor Mint tingle & Halo Kris Kringle (tingle/kringle), and occasionally, Halo's Belgian Chocolate (but I've found that it tends to burn quickly, even on lowest setting).

You all are really amazing! I can't believe how much you know and I'm so appreciative of your willingness to help!!

ahall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
illinois
Yeah my asthma has been pretty nasty this season. In fact I just ran to the gas station and am taking a treatment as we speak. I hope you figure out what is causing your issues. Don't be afraid to try new liquids just get small bottles and only take a couple puffs them wait and see if it happens. I can vape most tank crackers no issues. So that's not my issue but your mileage may vary.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Yes, I'd read that some fluids could crack the plastic tanks. I used the Triton tanks for the Roar flavors. They didn't crack, but I suppose they could have interacted with the plastic to create something nasty. The local fluid I used in a Kanger glass tank. I sure hope I can continue to vape fruit flavors, the only other flavors that I like, but not nearly as well, are yesterday's lemon meringue (still fruit), my mix of Virgin Vapor Mint tingle & Halo Kris Kringle (tingle/kringle), and occasionally, Halo's Belgian Chocolate (but I've found that it tends to burn quickly, even on lowest setting).

You all are really amazing! I can't believe how much you know and I'm so appreciative of your willingness to help!!

You at the same time are helping others by posting about this issue and you'd be surprised how many vapers with a similar problem will find answers and/ or solace in this thread.

I may have more of an answer as to what caused the asthma episode. I vaped three different flavors that day from the new vendor (two Hawaii series and Earl Grey). I used Triton tanks for all. One of the tanks became completely opaque and it feels scratchy inside and the other two were en route to becoming opaque. My lungs probably didn't like vaping the degrading plastic. Lesson learned. Triton tanks for Halo fluids, glass tanks for everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread