New Juul got a little warm while first charging it

Status
Not open for further replies.

razzer

Oct 29, 2009
Hi so i grabbed a juul from the gas station and plugged the charger into my pc , and so it was blinking when i put it on the charger, and it was on maybe an hour or so until it got solid light. But when i took it off , i noticed it was a little warm to the touch which surprised me a bit. Just wondering if anyone seen this or if this could some kind of issue. Thanks for any help

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Slightly warm is okay, hot is not. It should go to room temperature within 3 minutes. If it takes longer than that to cool down, something is wrong, either with the charger or the battery in the juul pod. If that happens, unplug the unit immediately and don't use it. It sounds like yours is only a little warm, and should be okay.

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Yea , so far just that one incident. It cooled down pretty quick and haven't noticed anything since , i'm debating whether to get a different one. Is a 200 Mah battery more dangerous?

More than what? Lithium-ion batteries have more potential danger than your average AA, for example. They should always be treated with respect - don't let them discharge too low or get overheated or in a situation where they could short. Always, always, always stop using a battery that does something strange (although, as the others have said, getting a bit warm while charging or in use is expected, not strange).

Among li-ion batteries, more powerful batteries generally present a greater risk than lower powered batteries, simply because they've got more battery stuff in them. That said, the batteries most commonly used for vaping are 15 - 20 A CDR, 3000 mAh batteries, and incidents with them are uncommon provided they're used properly.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Yea thats what i mean , is a biggere battery more dangerous ? I think the Juul has a 200 mah battery in it , where as the SMOK pen V2 i have has i believe a 1600 mah battery in it .

If a battery is going to explode, then I would rather it be a smaller battery. But in the end, big or small, they can both a lot of damage when they explode. Either one can burn a whole house down which is why it's always recommended you never charge a battery unattended - it's inconvenient but then so is being homeless.

Look at mah as a measure of capacity. A 200mah battery is going to need charged a lot more than a 1600mah battery.

• Agree
    Reactions: Hawise

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Yea thats what i mean , is a biggere battery more dangerous ? I think the Juul has a 200 mah battery in it , where as the SMOK pen V2 i have has i believe a 1600 mah battery in it .

From a purely Technical aspect, any Battery with greater Capacity (mAh) than another has the potential to be more dangerous in the event of a Catastrophic Failure.

But using that same line of Thinking, a thick Smartphone with a Big Battery in it would be More Dangerous than a Ultra Small one that has a 4 Hour Battery Life. Or a Truck with an 20 Gallon Tank is more dangerous that a Sub-Compact with a 12 Gallon Tank.

For what we use e-Cigarette-wise, what makes things "More Dangerous" is usually dominated by Poor Materials/Components and Sub-Standard Quality Control.

IMO, SMOK products are more Dangerous than just about ANY e-Cigarette not because of the Size of the Battery. But Because SMOK churns out Very Low Quality products with Little or No Quality Control. And has done so Habitually from Day One.

• Agree
    Reactions: Hawise

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    What would you say is the better quality products? The " Smok" pen V2 i got at the local vape shop. I mean , if i pull up a google page about Smok products, one listing after another says they are high quality. Like here for example . smok vape product reviews at DuckDuckGo

This was the 1st Site from the Search Link you posted.

SMOK is rated "Bad" with 1.5 / 5 on Trustpilot

There are Many People who use SMOK products and Never have a problem. But there is a Whole Lot who do. LOL.

Check out some of the products someone like Innokin or eLeaf or Aspire offers. They all make pretty Good Stuff.

• Agree
    Reactions: Pigs

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    What would you say is the better quality products? The " Smok" pen V2 i got at the local vape shop. I mean , if i pull up a google page about Smok products, one listing after another says they are high quality. Like here for example . smok vape product reviews at DuckDuckGo

Actually, Smok isn't known for its quality or longevity. I had 3 Smok products give out on me in less than two years. For a pod system, the Innokin Kroma-z, the Innokin Sceptre, and the Freemax autopod 50 are some good choices. I'm sure other can list other good examples.

Innokin KROMA-Z 40W Pod Mod System
    Sceptre - Product | INNOKIN®
    FreeMaX AUTOPOD50 50W Pod System

Reactions: zoiDman

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Paying for fake, positive reviews is big business. You can hire online reputation management firms and one of the services they provide is to get positive fake reviews written for your product or business then get those reviews to rank higher on search engines than your negative reviews. Its big business. The internet is worthless for reviews and such. The amount of shills out there has reached epic proportions.

I say, if you want a Smok product, get it. It might last you a while. But if it doesn't then you're not out that much money anyhow. Of course, every product is going have some rate of defects.

• Agree
    Reactions: Territoo

razzer

Oct 29, 2009
    Yea i was looking at some Smok posts on other parts of the forum, seems not a lot of recommendations for them.Is there anything that is smaller , maybe uses smaller battery , yet will give a solid hit of vape? I dont vape heavily so i dont think i need something big. I tried a JUUL and it is ok , but i just thought the vape amount was a bit shy , either having to work for it to get a hit , like double pulling or something.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    What @zoiDman said. I don't mean to judge you (OP) but you've been a member since 2009 and you are talking about Juul and Smok? What else have you been vaping? Anyway, not familiar with Juul but with my small pods, I always remove the pod while charging (don't know that it even matters but seems to make sense (especially because I don't trust auto-draw) Also... wall mount USB chargers are dirt cheap... why charge off your computer?

Reactions: zoiDman
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread