New; Lots of Unanswered Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrentMydland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
SE US
So, I am new to the vaping world and so far I like it and it has helped me a lot. I spent days on other forums and sites before I found this one and it has been a tremendous help so thank you so much. Over the past week I have spent countless hours on here reading page after page of info(and gosh there is a lot of them) and have had a lot of my questions answered but I still have a few I need some help with.

To start let me give you a little basic info in an effort to help you help me. I currently have a eGo pen and a CE4 and am using 50/50 at 18mg but I do have an Eleaf Istick and nautilus Mini on the way and plan on making a small order for a couple kinds of juice from ITC Vapes in the near future so please use the Istick and Nautilus Mini as frame of reference when giving answers rather than the eGo and CE4. Anything else you need to know please ask.

• What differences do different voltages make and how do I know what the best voltage is
  • What differences do different wattages make and how do I know what the best wattage is
  • What differences do different ohms make and I guess the real question here is should I be getting 1.6 or 1.8 ohm coils for the Nautilus and why
  • How do I know when its time to change the coil
  • How full do I need to keep the tank to have it work correctly
  • How low do I let it go before I need to refill it or risk it not working properly
  • Assuming you can't just use it until all the liquid is gone: When putting in a new flavored juice do I need to pour out the small amount of remaining juice and how low can I go before doing so.
  • Do I need to wash the tanks when switching flavors or at all? If so whats the standard MOP for washing and cleaning tanks
  • How high of a VG ratio can the Nautilus Mini take without burning through coils like crazy. I've tried a few different levels from others and like a higher VG ( I know ITC only offers 50/50 and max VG and their VG is super thick so this doesn't apply to them and is just in general)
  • Do I need to lower or raise nicotine levels when going from a CE4/eGo to a IStick/Naut Mini or when changing PG/VG levels

Another thing I am kind of having an issue with is a mildly sore throat. I know there are several things that can contribute to this like vapor being too hot(from wattage/voltage?), from higher nicotine content, dehydration, and from higher PG content. Which would you say it is and how can I remedy this? I don't think it is dehydration since I drink 2+ gallons of water a day and I don't think its the nicotine as I am not getting a head rush or a headache.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Welcome! I'll intersperse my comments in your questions

So, I am new to the vaping world and so far I like it and it has helped me a lot. I spent days on other forums and sites before I found this one and it has been a tremendous help so thank you so much. Over the past week I have spent countless hours on here reading page after page of info(and gosh there is a lot of them) and have had a lot of my questions answered but I still have a few I need some help with.

To start let me give you a little basic info in an effort to help you help me. I currently have a eGo pen and a CE4 and am using 50/50 at 18mg but I do have an Eleaf Istick and Nautilus Mini on the way and plan on making a small order for a couple kinds of juice from ITC Vapes in the near future so please use the Istick and Nautilus Mini as frame of reference when giving answers rather than the eGo and CE4. Anything else you need to know please ask.

• What differences do different voltages make and how do I know what the best voltage is
  • What differences do different wattages make and how do I know what the best wattage is
    For these two, I think it's personal preference. Depending on the tank and depending on the juice, you may find different settings work in different situations - start low and work your way up
  • What differences do different ohms make and I guess the real question here is should I be getting 1.6 or 1.8 ohm coils for the Nautilus and why
    Lower ohms will tend toward a warmer vape at same voltage or wattage setting compared to a higher-ohmmed coil. The difference between a 1.6 and a 1.8 may not even be noticeable.
    I will (rewick or rebuild for my coils) when I notice that it's tougher to take a draw or when vapor production decreases. I'm often checking the resistance, and when I see the resistance creeping upwards, that's another sign. You'll be able to determine this with your iStick.
  • How low do I let it go before I need to refill it or risk it not working properly
    Tanks (especially bottom-fed) rely on a vacuum to help get the juice to the wick. I personally do take mine pretty low (just when I can no longer see liquid at the bottom of my tank.) If you go too far, you risk a dry hit (way nasty) Others have commented that their tanks might even start leaking when they have too little juice left
  • Assuming you can't just use it until all the liquid is gone: When putting in a new flavored juice do I need to pour out the small amount of remaining juice and how low can I go before doing so.
  • Do I need to wash the tanks when switching flavors or at all? If so whats the standard MOP for washing and cleaning tanks
    If it's a compatible flavor, I just refill. If I'm switching to "something completely different", I'll take the tank apart and rinse everything. On my Nautis, I haven't been rinsing the coils - I just vape through a few "weird" hits until the new flavor kicks in. Every so often, I'll wash everything in soapy dishwater and rinse thoroughly.
  • How high of a VG ratio can the Nautilus Mini take without burning through coils like crazy. I've tried a few different levels from others and like a higher VG ( I know ITC only offers 50/50 and max VG and their VG is super thick so this doesn't apply to them and is just in general)
    I typically run 50/50-ish. If the VG is too thick, some recommend thinning with a bit of distilled water. Never tried it, so I'm not real sure how well it works.
  • Do I need to lower or raise nicotine levels when going from a CE4/eGo to a IStick/Naut Mini or when changing PG/VG levels
    Nic levels are also a personal choice. You may get the "dizzy/light-headedness/nausea" of too much nic. Put your vape down for a bit. You're probably going to get a better hit from the Nauti, and you might find that you could live with a lower nic level.

Another thing I am kind of having an issue with is a mildly sore throat. I know there are several things that can contribute to this like vapor being too hot(from wattage/voltage?), from higher nicotine content, dehydration, and from higher PG content. Which would you say it is and how can I remedy this? I don't think it is dehydration since I drink 2+ gallons of water a day and I don't think its the nicotine as I am not getting a head rush or a headache.

Not sure how to answer the last question about the sore throat. I've not experienced that, although others have, and hopefully will offer some thoughts.

Glad you're here. Enjoy the new gear!

Last edited:

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW

To start let me give you a little basic info in an effort to help you help me. I currently have a eGo pen and a CE4 and am using 50/50 at 18mg but I do have an Eleaf Istick and Nautilus Mini on the way and plan on making a small order for a couple kinds of juice from ITC Vapes in the near future so please use the Istick and Nautilus Mini as frame of reference when giving answers rather than the eGo and CE4. Anything else you need to know please ask.

hello BrentMydland,
lets give this a shot:

•volts/watts think of the gas-pedal in your car
faster-push it farther /// more power (volts/watts) turn it up
•Ω (ohms) is basically how hot the vape is you inhale
the Ω need to be within parameters of your power source
with an adjustable (variable) device you can match up the two (Ω & power)
start low, increase as needed till happy
there are charts and calcs
- Watts - volts - amps - ohms conversion calculator
claim of iStick is Ω range of 1.0 – 2.5Ω, so the 1.6 or 1.8 coils will work
(get both, you will like different vapes)
you just know – when coil goes foul, lack of flavor a vapor produced
•just don’t let your tank go dry, keep at least SOME in the bottom sloshing around
if you don’t care about mixing flavors, do what you want OR
vape it all gone, wash/dry it out, begin again
•contrary to belief, thickness has little to do with coil foul – it’s the sweetness
that clings to a hot metal wire
don’t confuse FLOW with FOUL, dry hits come from coils not staying saturated (wet)
•again you just know – NIC level is what suits you
at first maybe more, then taper off, OR maybe you want higher NIC in the morning
lower NIC at night (same flavor two three NIC levels maybe till you know)
•PG / VG – for me PG KILLS my throat, I can’t take hardly any PG or my
throat just goes south on me (it’s terrible) along with dehydration

keep asking "Q" (might of flubb'd some up there, or incomplete)

:)

BrentMydland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
SE US
So its all basically personal preference and I should just play around to find what works best for me?
What wattage and voltage would you recommending starting from? The lowest it will go?

How do I know when to increase or decrease volts vs wattage or vice versa?

When it comes to washing the tanks do you just use water, soap and water, or another solution like alcohol?

Would adding water to ejuice mess up the coils or anything? Is there water in juices already or are they just flavoring, nic, alcohol, VG, and PG?

Will it harm the tank or coils to go that low. If i get a dry hit I can just add more but I don't want to damage anything

And a couple questions I forgot to ask:

Do tips make a difference? Obviously a longer tip would result in a cooler vapor but what about bore size?

Do I need more than one tank? Why?

Can I use any PG or VG based tincture? I guess tincture isn't the right word since they are alcohol based and glycerine based are glycerites, etc but you get the picture. I'm NOT talking about anything illegal here just things like kanna, ashwagandha, and other ethnobotanicals.

EDIT:

Is it fair to say I will be going through juice quicker with the new setup vs the current one?

Would there be any issues filling a tank only 1/2 full or so? Does it preform better with a full tank?

Last edited:

Plooom

Moved On
Dec 3, 2014
Sore throat is normal if you're new to vaping. Your throat will get used to it and it won't be a problem. For someone who is new to vaping and devices I always recommend the nautilus mini or regular on a regulated device whether it's a box such as an mvp, or even a spinner 2 if you want to stick with the stick battery style. The key to tailor fitting your voltage is the first see the resistance of your coils. See ohms law. Or just look up and converter. I always tell people who are new and want to begin chasing the clouds or possibly modding to always start on regulated devices until you fully understand how to operate an unregulated device. It sounds like a lot but it's really not hard. Just takes a little research.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
get your stuff and wash it BEFORE use (packing oils and such)

assemble/fill – ALWAYS be sure coil wick is SATURATED BEFORE
applying heat to it...

DON’T over tighten toppers...

just start low power and work your way up
no hurry, not a race and it doesn’t happen instantly

at this point watts / volts make no diff, pick one and use it till
you get comfortable...

rule of thumb add 2.0 to your Ω’s (1.6Ω+2.0=3.6v) (1.8+2.0=3.8)

not a bad starting point - -See what you think, vape it awhile
flavor, TH, clouds, NIC buzz etc - like I said, no hurry
-air flow adjustment will dictate how much fluid pulls INTO the wick
so say you had 100% VG (thick) and a wide open air flow
it’s possible to apply to much heat, resulting in the wick burning itself off
and not wicking fast enuff to prevent dry hits
visa-versa 100% PG (thin) air flow closed (tight) might result in flooding wick
(over saturation) gurgle, juice splatter in mouth...

so just to carry it out; a 50%/50% with air flow in middle is perfect
(just for this example, real life obviously varies)

you’ll be surprised how easy juice is cleaned with JUST warm water

It is mostly personal preference.

Regarding volts/watts, watts is really just a fancy name for "automatic volts". The Volt/ohm combination between the battery and coil determine watts (Power).
For determine the best voltage/wattage, start at the lowest setting and work up slowly until you are either happy or the vapor starts to taste burnt. If you get to the burnt taste, back the volts/watts down a bit until it tastes normal again.

I use dish soap and water to clean my gear.

Adding small amounts of water will not hurt coils, but can change the vapor production of the liquid.

You do not want to run the Nautilus mini below the 1ml mark, it WILL leak if not kept vertical below that level. It may also flood.

Drip tips can make a difference, This is personal preference. I found using the stock drip tip included with the mini caused kanker sores to develop in my mouth. YMMV.

You need at least 2 tanks. Why? Backup in case the first one is rendered inoperable.

In theory our equipment will vaporize anything with a pg/vg base. Whether or not it will be enjoyable or is even a good idea to vape anything other than "e-liquid" is debatable.

BrentMydland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
SE US
So start low and work my way up. Sounds good.

As for the sore throat I hope it does go away but I was curious if it was from the PG level or too high a voltage or wattage or possible the nic content. If it isn't any of those about how long does it usually last. I'm almost sure its not dehydration since I drink a minimum of 2gal/day. It was strange to me that I got a sore throat because I haven't had that issue with anything before and I tend to smoke full bodied short cigars of a larger gauge, mostly robustos. I'm not planning on using vaping to quit anything. I stopped smoking cigarettes often a while ago and only smoke them on occasion. I also really enjoy cigars and have a decent collection I don't plan on giving up and enjoy snus as well(think General not Camel) I just also have been really liking vaping or at least what I've gotten into so far. Hope thats okay.

For the second tank should I get a second Naut Mini or something else? What would you recommend? A Kangor tank?

undone23

Dec 13, 2014
around
Oh and any experience with higher VG in a Nautilus Mini? I'd like to order some but I don't want to go too high and mess something up. I've heard conjecture that ITC's max VG juice is too thick for nondrippers but has anyone tried it in a tank?

I have a friend that swears by his nautilus, but he did mention it can leak.

The higher VG should only gunk up your wicks quicker. If it's too much, you'll likely need to clean/rewick or replace your coils/wicks more frequently than you would otherwise. You shouldn't mess anything up that isn't designed to wear out eventually.

When I first started, I found that the nic content contributed most to my own throat irritation. At 24mg, I would cough at every drag so I switched to 18mg. But in my thrifty-ness, I continued to vape the 24mg at a lowest voltage on my eGo and it hurt less. But I chain-smoked for 15 years, so nothing that vapor caused me would I compare to the sore throats of my smoking years.

Xybein

Dec 17, 2014
Boone, NC, USA
Too many questions to answer but I can help on a few. You will usually know when to change your coil, the vape starts to become more dry and burnt tasting. As far as the two ohms of nautilus coils it depends if you want to run higher or lower wattage, it's not too much of a difference. I personally prefer the lower ohms if I have a choice on coils, I feel I get a little more vapor.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
I'm at work right now and wont have time to really comment until I get home but thanks for all the great answers so far guys. Most of my questions have been covered pretty well. Great community here.

yepper, get it, clean it, fill it, vape it...

once you get it and start, it will all fall into place

it will answer your questions for you

(then it will generate more questions)

be sure to let us know how it goes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread