New Member 12/05/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brunka

May 12, 2018
Hi There,
From Sydney Australia, make aged 75, been smoking over 50 yrs ! Quit about 4 months ago using a Nicobate 21 mg/ ml patch & an Ecig. Been playing around with various Ecigs to get the best MTL. Started with a Smok TF V4 Micro, really a DTL tank, not real good even with the 1.2 ohm coil & long thin drip tip & air holes almost fully closed. Then tried a Aspire Nautilus 2, out of the box these are pretty good, but top fill is a bit Hmmmm & they only take 1 ml on a refill from dead empty, I measured it with a syringe.

Decided needed a MTL RTA so bought a Vandy Vape Beserker, began winding my own coils & wicking & mixing my own ejuice. Using 65/35 VG/PG @ 10% Capella French Vanilla V2, winding Kanthal A1, 28 AWG, on a 2.5 mm former & 7 wraps, gives about 1.18/1.2 ohms, vape at 14 watts VW, works fantastic, exactly the same as a cigarette.

Top fill & invert for 2 seconds, had not ONE flooding or gurgling, crackling etc. take long smooth draws, the Beserker draw is fairly tight, but the biggest air flow hole for me is perfect. Vaped about 2 weeks on the 4.5 ml glass tank then changed to the 2.2 mm, Ultem tank, the 2.2 ml is a lot better, vape a little bit warmer, taste a little more pronounced & this 2.2 ml tank give almost no sound when vaping, just a tiny bit of air flow noise.

Not going to bother buying another tank, this Beserker is brilliant ! Even as a " Newbie" I would recommend this tank, although I did play around with both Kanthal & Vandy Vapes MTL Fine Fused Clapton coil winds, don't bother with the Claptons, no better than the single wire closed coil 28g Kanthal, but get the coil firing dead even. My coil has lasted about 4 weeks & still looks like new, no gunk etc, rewick about every 2 weeks.
Regards,
Brunka

Brunka

May 12, 2018
Hi There, thanks for replies guys,
Have got a question though, am using a Vandy Vape Beserker with 65/35 VG/PG & about 10% Capela French Vanilla V2, coil is Kanthal A1, 28g on 2.5 mm former 7-8 wraps giving me 1.16 ohms & run at 12 watts VW
Vape is nice & just barely warm, draws on Ecig about 1.2 to 2.5 seconds & tank doesn't get hot at all !
With this setup can the coil get hot enough to produce the nasties like formaldehyde etc I have read about. Been a bit confused on all the data I have been reading recently.
Regards,
Brunka.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Hi There, thanks for replies guys,
Have got a question though, am using a Vandy Vape Beserker with 65/35 VG/PG & about 10% Capela French Vanilla V2, coil is Kanthal A1, 28g on 2.5 mm former 7-8 wraps giving me 1.16 ohms & run at 12 watts VW
Vape is nice & just barely warm, draws on Ecig about 1.2 to 2.5 seconds & tank doesn't get hot at all !
With this setup can the coil get hot enough to produce the nasties like formaldehyde etc I have read about. Been a bit confused on all the data I have been reading recently.
Regards,
Brunka.

At 12 Watts I think you’re good.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
First and foremost you are undoubtedly better off than smoking.

Coil temp is dependent on a number of things, not just wattage. Airflow across the coil is probably the most critical, one of the worst offenders of high coil temps is a low wattage, mtl tank with very little airflow. Proper airflow is needed to keep the coil temp down. With all that said, I suspect (only a guess) that with your short draw time on heavier gauge wire with low wattage is probably in the safe range.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Regards,
Brunka.
The only way to know for sure is with a good Temp control mod. Mods with a DNA (or Yihi) chip are known as the best and most accurate. I did TC for a while, and found using a DNA 75 that with my normal 9 - 10.5W/0.7 ohm SS316 builds, I never exceeded 440F, which is about the threshold for producing aldehydes. So I no longer use TC, but still love the DNA mod.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Welcome and fantastic! You must be so happy to be vaping and done with cigarettes. Glad you joined.

I am a MTL vaper, and since you are already into rebuildables, I'd say the next step, safety wise would be to get a good temperature controlled vape. MTL atomizers CAN heat up quite a bit, if chain vaping and/or due to the small size usually (of the atomizer) as well as less airflow.

I will say this, I vaped a fairly long time (say 3 months) not using "best temperature practices" and some I just couldn't (I am PG sensitive). Regardless, I saw a TON of health improvements.

Some best practices for not TC vaping: rotate setups when chain vaping, up to 10% distilled water (you may need less, I'd experiment with a few drops in your tank) will think the vape and reduce temperatures, as water's boiling point is lower. Make sure you have enough airflow (with the berserker, that may be somewhat difficult) etc. Since making those changes (although I do use TC on occasion) the temps in my tanks have dropped a fair amount.

However, since you are using an RTA, you can simply switch to using a temp controlled coil material (my preference is stainless steel, as it can be vaped in either mode) and making the jump to trying TC. You don't NEED a DNA mod, although they are the most accurate for TC vaping, but other good makers include Teslacigs (their board is non-DNA but rather accurate) perhaps Smoant, etc. Starting with a DNA mod is also a great way to learn, and you'll have more accuracy.

As a MTL vaper, my initial start up wattage pretty much matches what I vape at, but my ceilings tend to be lower-- you can go up to 420 F seems to be the consensus, but if a lower ceiling works for you, that's great.

Congrats on starting your vaping journey and you don't have to do everything at once, certainly, but if your goal is to avoid overheating your juice, well temperature controlled vaping is the way to go. It may give you additional peace of mind.

Lots of DNAs out there, so you have lots of options. You may want to ask more specifically about it, if the idea appeals to you.

Welcome to ECF :)

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread