New member, and hope to be new DIYer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottymo247

Jan 15, 2017
Hey guys, I never thought I would get into making my own juice, but i am flooded with tons of juice I purchased that I don't like, or too strong nic, etc. I just figured it's time that I start to make my own, and not worry about how a juice will taste or feel. This way I will have the control.
Now, with that being said, I have no idea where to start. Can someone help me? Do I get a starter kit? Ive read mixed things on them. Some say they are great, others say they are a waste. I normally Vape around 70vg, and 1.5mg nic. Love desert, sweet flavors. Any help on where to start, what I need to get, and where to get it, would be amazing. Thank u guys, and Vape on

Scott

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Hey guys, I never thought I would get into making my own juice, but i am flooded with tons of juice I purchased that I don't like, or too strong nic, etc. I just figured it's time that I start to make my own, and not worry about how a juice will taste or feel. This way I will have the control.
Now, with that being said, I have no idea where to start. Can someone help me? Do I get a starter kit? Ive read mixed things on them. Some say they are great, others say they are a waste. I normally Vape around 70vg, and 1.5mg nic. Love desert, sweet flavors. Any help on where to start, what I need to get, and where to get it, would be amazing. Thank u guys, and Vape on

Scott
Here's how I started. A gallon each of PG and VG for $40 total (I believe that included shipping). I pour from the 1 gallon storage jugs to 1 liter plastic bottles to mix from. Then 1 liter of 100 mg nic for $50. What that I got 4 250 ml amber glass bottles for storing the nic and to mix from. I already had some 120 and 240 ml plastic bottles saved from buying premix online for storing my mixes. For those I got some spouts so it would be eaiser to refill my dripper bottle. I bought 18 ml dripper bottles. Finally I got an all-in-one flavoring that looked promising. It remains my favorite.

In the beginning I mixed with syringes bought online with the fat needles. These days all my mixing is done pouring directly into graduated glass cylinders. Perhaps in the future I'll mix by weight. Currently I'm mixing with the first nic I bought, from myfreedomsmokes. My long term nic is stored in 1 liter amber glass bottles. When it's time to open one it will be divided in to the 4 250 ml bottes. The long term glass bottles carry the original labels from the plastic nic bottles, put in a zip lock bag, wrapped in thin bubble wrap which is put in a second zip lock bag. I see no benefit to a starter kit.

jaba62

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
New Jersey USA
I started with the pre-mixed 3mg 50/50 from Wholesale Nicotine, Bulk e-Liquid, PG, VG and Supplies Heartlandvapes Wholesale I really didn't want to have a bunch of gallon containers laying around. I think a 1 litre bottle was 20$ something. I bought some flavorings for some recipes I found on Kritical mass.com. I originally started out with one recipe for "kings crown" claim your throne. It was my favorite, and way too expensive. It's a little more expensive than actually making all from scratch, guess it all depends on how ambitious you are. IMO, capella's flavoring is about the best. Good Luck!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
This is an old, closed thread, but there are lot's of good desert type recipes here. Pure Vapes has 3ml FlavourArt flavorings
You should be able to spot the recipes with a quick scroll through the pages.
And my thought is, why should a beginner start with recipes with multiple flavorings when there are plenty of all-in-one's available? Or better yet dilute some of the premix you like but are tired of paying for. Instead of making it hard in the beginning why not make it effortless?

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
And my thought is, why should a beginner start with recipes with multiple flavorings when there are plenty of all-in-one's available? Or better yet dilute some of the premix you like but are tired of paying for. Instead of making it hard in the beginning why not make it effortless?
Perhaps you could provide some links to the *all in one's*, to make it a little more "effortless" for the OP. ;)

Reactions: Scottymo247

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Perhaps you could provide some links to the *all in one's*, to make it a little more "effortless" for the OP. ;)
I believe both myfreedomsmokes and rts vapes have them. I got mine from rtsvape.com. The flavoring is by Capella and called cupucino which I use at 1%, enough to cover the flavor of the other ingredients.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Nudenicotine sells flavorings that are basically pre-made recipes. Many others do as well.

I buy Apple Pie a la Mode flavoring from NN. All you need then is nic base, PG and VG.

The first juice I made was from their starter kit. I know it's very controversial here but a starter kit simplifies the process for beginners. You get small bottles of the liquids, syringes, graduated cylinders and some sample flavorings of your choice among some other things. It may be a bit costly but it's still cheaper than buying pre-mixed e-liquid and it helps you break in to mixing. They have 3 different kits available.

Myfreedomsmokes has them too and they allow more customization.

Reactions: Rickb119

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Scotty & welcome
If you are seriously wanting to get into DIY then first start by avoiding the many juice suppliers who offer DIY with their products. These are really MIY (mix it yourself) than any real DIY and are akin to a paint by numbers set when wanting to get into art. You should buy your flavor concentrates from vendors selling the original concentrates from companies such as Flavor Arts, The Flavor (or Perfume) Apprentice, Capella, Inwar, and there are a few others. You don't have to buy directly from these, though you can if you wish, as there are repackagers such as Bull City Flavors who will actually sell for a bit less.

I'd suggest starting with signing up to a site like E Liquid Recipes (ELR). They have a long list of recipes and by clicking on the Rating button you'll bring those with the highest ratings to the top of the list. Pick a few that look good to you and purchase the ingredients listed in them. You don't really need much in the way of supplies, only empty juice bottles is all that's really needed. Some of do it by weight in which case you'll also need a small electronic scale ($10 to $15) and others do it by volume (# of drops) in which case you may a graduated container or two, nothing fancy. Most important is a way of labelling what you create.

Once you have some flavor concentrates, your VG, PG if you want it, and a nic base you are good to go. ELR will allow you to load your flavors into your flavor stash and ask what recipes you can make with them. It also allows you to modify and adapt a recipe, and/or create you own and save them as private, or even publish them if you think they are good enough.

Have fun.

Scottymo247

Jan 15, 2017
Looking into making my first ever purchases this week to make my own juice, and just little confused on where to get it from. Majority I have read and heard from u guys is wizard labs, bull city flavors, and myfreedomsmokes. Has anyone heard of ecigexpress? Or hearlandvapes? They have premixed vg/pg, and was wondering how they were. Kind of just saves a step in the mixing, and but wanted to get everyone's thoughts.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Looking into making my first ever purchases this week to make my own juice, and just little confused on where to get it from. Majority I have read and heard from u guys is wizard labs, bull city flavors, and myfreedomsmokes. Has anyone heard of ecigexpress? Or hearlandvapes? They have premixed vg/pg, and was wondering how they were. Kind of just saves a step in the mixing, and but wanted to get everyone's thoughts.

All those vendors you mentioned are good. Right at the top of my blog is a list of popular and reputable vendors for anything you may need regarding DIY. There is also help and tips for mixing, steeping, fine tuning, base prep etc... as you continue to read on. Kind of a one stop research resource.

My blogs will give insight into all aspects of DYI, from steeping to what supplies to have on hand to a basic walk through mixing your first E-juice.

E-Cigarette Forum - dannyv45 - Blogs

Then read hoosier's blogs. These blogs concentrate on fine tuning your mix and give insight on additives.

E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs

Then read Boletus's blog's. These blogs concentrate on formulation of nicotine bases regarding proper calculations methods for figuring Nicotine concentration as well as safety.

E-Cigarette Forum - Boletus - Blogs

Then read Ginger's book "E-Cigarettes 102: DIY E-Liquid". It is a book which I've contributed to that delivers an in depth easy to follow guide in the art of DYI.

E-Cigarettes 102: DIY E-Liquid

I recommend viewing VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety and bookmark it for future reference. It explains safety in all aspects of DYI.

VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety

then read the stickies at the top of the page.

this will explain a lot of the how's and why's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread