New Member: help with RTA build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexWasHere

Apr 15, 2019
Hi guys, new to vaping, smoke free for about 2 months and getting more rebuildables!
So i got a new tank, a Taureen Beest RTA from THC, and i need help with an issue:
I had put dual coils on it, but always got a muted flavor off of it.
So last night I put one coil in, 4mm fused clapton Ni80, around 7 wraps, came up to 0.8 ohms. I wick it properly I guess, no leaking wathsoever (a litlle on the first tank fill) and the flavor is much better. But i get subpar vapor production, and the thin gurgles like crazy, ocasional spitback aswell. I vape it at around 70 watts. Any advice??

Reactions: stols001

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
the thing gurgles like crazy with occasional spitback as well
You haven't got proper separation between the tank and the deck. No surprise this would happen after downgrading to a single coil build—you haven't got enough cotton filling the juice channels to form a proper plug.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I think that it’s par to get more vapor with duals, and more flavor with singles, but I agree with the others that the gurgling and spitting are probably wicking issues.

Each RTA has its own sweet spot, and whenever I try a new one, I YouTube it and see if anyone has advice on the specifics.

One other thing I’ll add, just because you can run it single doesn’t mean it will perform well that way. Some do, some don’t. You may have to fiddle with it to figure out if it will.

AlexWasHere

Apr 15, 2019
Thanks for the reply guys. Yeah I think it may be the wicking, I started out building just about 4 days ago.
I tried looking online specifically for this tank, but hardly found videos except for MikeVapes. Heres pictures
15552985171991182136108.jpg
15552986104161739940524.jpg
15552986781821289215128.jpg
of my deck build to help pinpoint the issue.

Attachments

• 15552986975801775945296.jpg
    15552986975801775945296.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: Mordacai

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Okay, thanks. Your single coil is not centred and the airflow looks better suited to dual coils.

As you need to get the coil in an RTA in the airflow, do you know offhand how wide the build deck is? As I'm thinking two 3mm I'd coils may be better, but then the tails of the wicks would have to be thinned somewhat.

And how tight do you wick, as all you need is some slight resistance when pulling your wicking backwards and forwards through a coil. As if it's too tight it won't wick effectively and you end up with loss of flavour and vapour.

AlexWasHere

Apr 15, 2019
Okay, thanks. Your single coil is not centred and the airflow looks better suited to dual coils.

As you need to get the coil in an RTA in the airflow, do you know offhand how wide the build deck is? As I'm thinking two 3mm I'd coils may be better, but then the tails of the wicks would have to be thinned somewhat.

And how tight do you wick, as all you need is some slight resistance when pulling your wicking backwards and forwards through a coil. As if it's too tight it won't wick effectively and you end up with loss of flavour and vapour.

Thanks for the reply, humm not sure about the size but they do talk about how the deck supports both dual and single builds, maybe mine is just to big and not getting enough air hitting the coil? And yeah i ned to center it. Either way ill try and build on it later today and do a dual build, ill post an update later. I usually wick like that actually, although this one as a tendency to leak if you thin out the edges alot.
Thanks for the advice!

AlexWasHere

Apr 15, 2019
Thanks for the advice man! Just put in some dual coil ss claptons, spaced them out correctly right above the airholes. Been runing it in tc mode with 60w preheat, been vaping like a charm. Nice flavor and clouds, not too hot aswell. Some spitback at the start, but my priming skills are still a bit off imho. Just had to pay more atention to the wicking!

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Your coil placement looks a little high in the pics. If you can't lower it I would try a 3.5mm. Tweaking is required even for experienced builders at times. Best to just tweak one thing at a time and vape for awhile before moving on to another tweak. You'll find that sweet spot, just takes patience.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
So last night I put one coil in, 4mm fused clapton Ni80, around 7 wraps, came up to 0.8 ohms. I wick it properly I guess, no leaking wathsoever (a litlle on the first tank fill) and the flavor is much better. But i get subpar vapor production, and the thin gurgles like crazy, ocasional spitback aswell. I vape it at around 70 watts. Any advice??
Welcome and glad you joined.
Could read:
Why does my atomizer crackle&pop and spit hot juice on my tongue? | E-Cigarette Forum
Leaking, Popping, Spitting: How to Fix Your Vape
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...auses-crackling-popping-during-vaping.774891/

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Hi guys, new to vaping, smoke free for about 2 months and getting more rebuildables!
So i got a new tank, a Taureen Beest RTA from ..., and i need help with an issue:
I had put dual coils on it, but always got a muted flavor off of it.

Your juice might be too thin as well.. try some 30/70 or 20/80 PG/VG

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I Don't have this particular RTA. But here is a General Wicking Tip.

The e-Liquid will go wherever there is Cotton. Or wherever the Cotton is Touching the RBA Deck or the RBA Barrel/Dome.

It kinda looks like there is Too Much Cotton in contact with the Deck and or possibly the RBA Barrel. So the e-Liquid is seeping, or running down the RBA Barrel into the Air Inlet holes.

You might try cutting the Legs of your Wick into a taper. Or even a Point. This will Reduce the amount of Cotton. And make it Easier to keep the Cotton from being in Contact with the Deck anyplace other than in the e-Liquid Inlet Slots.

Lowering the Coil Height and or using a slightly Smaller Diameter coil might help also.

BTW - Welcome to the ECF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread