New member in search...

Status
Not open for further replies.

k3rb3r05

Jul 4, 2019
...on coil set up for EHPRO TRUE mtl RTA.

Started vaping 2 years ago and never looked back. Been using Aspire Nautilus mini on an Eleaf iStick Pico (the first of the line) mod w/ NCR18650, 3400mAh, 3.7V battery. Been using 1.8 ohms clapton heads. Started at 18mg and now down to 3mg. I am not much for clouds (i have set the mini at the smallest AFC hole) but I am a flavor chaser. Started with tobacco/cigar and now I vape fruits.

Couple of weeks ago, saw an ad (somewhere) for an ares mtl rta. Within a day found a 2nd candidate, Siren v2. A vs search landed me here on this forum where i came to find a 3rd alternative, and better of the aforementioned RTAs, SXK doggystyle. Then at the end of the thread found out about EHPRO TRUE.

Looked at reviews, youtube presentations, coiling and wicking guides and I am locked on that rta (the only thing i'll be changing on it is the drip tip; will be using berserker's). I think I have the wicking down packed after so many deck building videos.

I am lost when it comes to coils. Manufacturer suggests using
Ni80, 28/38 clapton, 2.5mm dia.,1 ohm coils
But the suggested coil is VW and I would rather run TC (and iStick Pico got great TC control) so I am leaning towards an SS316L configuration.

Punched in the values of the above coil config in SteamEngine's wirewiz and i get:
Resistance 0.811 Ω
Heat flux per Watt 3.68 mW/mm²
Surface area 272.00 mm²
(read, that if I want to achieve same behavior, ie flavor, but i change the wire, I should aim to have similar heat flux and surface area)

Questions
1) As I understand it, when in TC you don't have to worry about the resistance because the (regulated) mod handles all the calculations. I am guessing that coil's resistance will matter on how long the battery lasts, right?
2) Anyone knows what is the max (outer) diameter of a coil build, that the deck allows for, without causing sorts?
3) Let's say I want a restrictive mtl (smallest AFC hole) that gives me the best possible flavor and has the least battery drain, what kind of coil setup would I use?
4) pbushardo reviewed this product on youtube (gave a big thumbs up), but used instead a 26AWG , SS316L , 7 wraps , spaced , 0.420 ohms, adding to my confusion. Do any of the numbers (SE's wirewiz) matter in a regulated mod?
5) Anyone got the black version of the product? Is it solid black or just has a black coating , meaning if it gets scratched you will see silver below the scratch?

Well, that's a lengthy introduction with a bunch of questions. Not sure if it's appropriate for this forum and my apologies to the mods. If needed, I can trim it down and ask the questions elsewhere. It's just so many info which I am unfamiliar with and I am trying to make an educated purchase (else I could end up with a bunch of unused wire spools or a damaged product from a sort). Thank you all for your time.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
1) eeehhhh.... that’s not really correct, but functionally sort of ok if you’re using coils close to an ohm in MTL.
2) varies massively by atty. also you have to include coil height in that one. For your particular atty, no idea. There may be data at the company web site.
3) single coil, simple wire. Nothing complicated.
4) wattage matters, so yes. Kind of. What you claimed in #1 was a massive oversimplification with a not really correct premise.
5) not personally, but I’ve never heard of black anything but paint.

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
As I understand it, when in TC you don't have to worry about the resistance because the (regulated) mod handles all the calculations.
Resistance is irrelevant at regulated mods.

I am guessing that coil's resistance will matter on how long the battery lasts, right?
No.It's the mass of coil that dictates amperage draw from battery.Use steam engine

Anyone knows what is the max (outer) diameter of a coil build, that the deck allows for, without causing sorts?
Try different coils and if they are touching the chimney you'll get a "battery short" display.

Let's say I want a restrictive mtl (smallest AFC hole) that gives me the best possible flavor and has the least battery drain, what kind of coil setup would I use?
Steam engine-Coil wrapping.Set your preferred heat flux and try different coils to see which one hit your target at lower wattage.

pbushardo reviewed this product on youtube (gave a big thumbs up), but used instead a 26AWG , SS316L , 7 wraps , spaced , 0.420 ohms, adding to my confusion. Do any of the numbers (SE's wirewiz) matter in a regulated mod?
Wire gauge,amount of wrapps,Metal alloy dictates mass and surface area.They matter if your mod isn't capable to apply the required power to heat a high mass coil.i.e single battery device.

5) Anyone got the black version of the product? Is it solid black or just has a black coating , meaning if it gets scratched you will see silver below the scratch?
Yes,it is made from stainless steel.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I don't think I can answer all your questions, but I can offer a few tips.

Questions
1) As I understand it, when in TC you don't have to worry about the resistance because the (regulated) mod handles all the calculations. I am guessing that coil's resistance will matter on how long the battery lasts, right?
2) Anyone knows what is the max (outer) diameter of a coil build, that the deck allows for, without causing sorts?
3) Let's say I want a restrictive mtl (smallest AFC hole) that gives me the best possible flavor and has the least battery drain, what kind of coil setup would I use?
4) pbushardo reviewed this product on youtube (gave a big thumbs up), but used instead a 26AWG , SS316L , 7 wraps , spaced , 0.420 ohms, adding to my confusion. Do any of the numbers (SE's wirewiz) matter in a regulated mod?

1. More or less. In TC, the resistance has some indirect influence, but it depends on a bunch of other things. Trial and error is what it really comes down to.

Battery life can be affected by any number of interrelated variables, including coil mass and resistance, air flow (higher airflow cools the coil faster, requiring more power to maintain the set temperature), wicking and rate of vaporization, etc. For what it's worth, you're likely to get pretty good battery life with your preferences.

2. No. I've used IDs of 2 and 2.5 with both 30 and 28 gauge wire with success. I'd say that you could use a higher ID with those wires, but you'd probably lose some flavour.

3. I don't know where you'd find the best balance between flavour and battery drain. A simple wire coil would have lower mass and lower battery drain, while a clapton or something might give you more flavour at the cost of higher battery drain. I'd start with a simple, spaced coil, and then try some alternatives once you've got that down.

4. They all contribute to the sort of vape you'll get, but which is preferable tends to be personal. Here are a few tips I've found:
  • TC works better with spaced SS316L coils than contact coils.
  • The TC performance of MTL RTAs can deteriorate as your resistance gets too low. How low you can go and how much of a problem it is depends on the particular atty. I've seen problems in some attys start around 0.5 ohms.
  • Most mods have a limit for TC of either 1 or 1.5 ohms. That's your upper limit. It's best not to get too close to the cutoff, or weird things can happen when the resistance goes up as you fire the coil.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
...on coil set up for EHPRO TRUE mtl RTA.

Started vaping 2 years ago and never looked back. Been using Aspire Nautilus mini on an Eleaf iStick Pico (the first of the line) mod w/ NCR18650, 3400mAh, 3.7V battery. Been using 1.8 ohms clapton heads. Started at 18mg and now down to 3mg. I am not much for clouds (i have set the mini at the smallest AFC hole) but I am a flavor chaser. Started with tobacco/cigar and now I vape fruits.

Couple of weeks ago, saw an ad (somewhere) for an ares mtl rta. Within a day found a 2nd candidate, Siren v2. A vs search landed me here on this forum where i came to find a 3rd alternative, and better of the aforementioned RTAs, SXK doggystyle. Then at the end of the thread found out about EHPRO TRUE.

Looked at reviews, youtube presentations, coiling and wicking guides and I am locked on that rta (the only thing i'll be changing on it is the drip tip; will be using berserker's). I think I have the wicking down packed after so many deck building videos.

I am lost when it comes to coils. Manufacturer suggests using
Ni80, 28/38 clapton, 2.5mm dia.,1 ohm coils
But the suggested coil is VW and I would rather run TC (and iStick Pico got great TC control) so I am leaning towards an SS316L configuration.

Punched in the values of the above coil config in SteamEngine's wirewiz and i get:
Resistance 0.811 Ω
Heat flux per Watt 3.68 mW/mm²
Surface area 272.00 mm²
(read, that if I want to achieve same behavior, ie flavor, but i change the wire, I should aim to have similar heat flux and surface area)

Questions

Well, that's a lengthy introduction with a bunch of questions. Not sure if it's appropriate for this forum and my apologies to the mods. If needed, I can trim it down and ask the questions elsewhere. It's just so many info which I am unfamiliar with and I am trying to make an educated purchase (else I could end up with a bunch of unused wire spools or a damaged product from a sort). Thank you all for your time.
Hi and welcome,
Spend some time in here: Calling all Dog lovers - The Ehpro True MTL RTA

More will be revealed.

Cheers
I

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Thank you all for the replies and the warm welcome. And thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Will read up on the info provided.
Thanks for the general above reply. If you get tired typing out your appreciations or just want to let a poster know your feelings*, you can click "like" (the thumbs up) icon,or other icons, at bottom right hand corner of this post. Just run you mouse pointer over each symbol for printed description of this frame/post,this action will notify the respondent of your following response whether your the original poster or a interested reader.
* Not sure I was included, however, most suggesters may not see your reply if they do not receive a notifications as mentioned above.The only reason I saw your general thank you was another member placed a like on my reply to you.

Reactions: stols001

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I use only the True. Best I can offer (and I won't be discussing TC, physics theory, etc.) is that best hit and flavor I've gotten is 2mm ID (dramatically better than I'd previously gotten with 2.5), 316L SS, 7 wraps spaced, legs down, 0.58 ohms, min 1mm above intake (but I wouldn't sweat that part- I've tried higher and lower, and it's not that big a difference - the extra space just ensures no chance for juice travel down the intake hole). It's just good. 26ga just took too long to heat up with any settings, and so did more wraps. 2.5mm was fine, but just not as good as 2mm. Larger dia. requires more mass, longer time to achieve optimum heat/or more power, obliterating flavor nuance.

For me, this is just the perfect size for maximizing af around the coil, with quick heating, and delivering a supremely solid vape.

k3rb3r05

Jul 4, 2019
Thanks for the general above reply. If you get tired typing out your appreciations or just want to let a poster know your feelings*, you can click "like" (the thumbs up) icon,or other icons, at bottom right hand corner of this post. Just run you mouse pointer over each symbol for printed description of this frame/post,this action will notify the respondent of your following response whether your the original poster or a interested reader.
* Not sure I was included, however, most suggesters may not see your reply if they do not receive a notifications as mentioned above.The only reason I saw your general thank you was another member placed a like on my reply to you.
I hadn't seen those icons. Thank you for pointing them out to me. Rectified "issue" at hand.

To answer your question, the general "thank you" was directed to all that took the time to read my long text and either answer my questions or provide me some extra reading material, because, truth be told, I am like a fish out of water when it comes to DIY coils. Too much info out there and I just needed to be pointed in the right direction. No point in reinventing the wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread