New Member, Long Time Vaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humbardy

Mar 30, 2015
Montclair, NJ
Hey ECF,

Brand spankin' new to the forums, but I've been lurking for a couple months, and vaping for about a year and a half. I'm just getting my obligatory New Members posts done, and I'd figured I'd ask a couple questions to start things off.
1) Firstly, any opinions on RTA's? I've been using a friends Orchid for a bit and (after getting around the leakiness) it's working perfectly! I am in the market however for a new RTA.
2) Secondly, who wicks with what, and how much wick do you use? I've been under the impression that less is indeed more, but I know some people like to stuff their rda's to the limit with cotton.
3) Third, and I know this is mostly just preference, but I'm looking to buy another VW Box mod, and was stuck between the iPV3 and the Segelei 150W.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to getting posting!

Last edited:

okozmonoto

Mar 12, 2015
Florida
I think RTA's are hit or miss in my opinion. I've been using the lemo, and it performs great when the build is right. But the airflow is some middle ground between a cheek inhale and a lung inhale. I didn't have any leakage problems with it though.

On my builds is use cottonbacon. As far as how much, it's hard to describe. . . Inside the coil, I put enough--slightly twisted--to where when I pull through, the cotton gets tight enough, it seems like the coil is 'just about' to warp from the tension. (..if that makes sense). I stuff a bit underneath each end of the coil, and ill keep a little tail in the base just to keep the juice from pooling and leaking. I don't stuff it by any means.

I have a seg 100, and my only complaint was the 510 pin. The thing was finicky and could cause the readings to jump all over the place, resulting in random painful burnt hits. I'm pretty sure they fixed that with a self adjusting 510 on the 150.

Humbardy

Mar 30, 2015
Montclair, NJ
I was actually looking at the 100W, since I rarely ever vape over 80W, but I feel like if I hang in for another couple of months there will be something that's in the 100W range, that doesn't have a wonky chip or finicky 510 pin. Did anyone else find other things that they disliked about the Seg 150W or 100W+?

I wick similarly to what you described, but I used to only use enough cotton so that when I slid it through the coils, it provided no resistance. I found that when I used minimal cotton, I got less dry hits, but had to drip every 2-3 pulls.

okozmonoto

Mar 12, 2015
Florida
I--personally--didn't notice anything wonky about the chip itself. One of my goodfriends has the IPV and swears by it. I can't say anything on it, as I've not personally tried it. The Seg100, I replaced the 510 with an FDV one, but it was too short. Long story short, I had to grind quite a bit out of the inside to make it fit. Now the door sits kind of funny on it, and I think that's one of the main reasons I've shyed away from using it. In hindsight, if I'd of known I would have been more satisfied with the 100w+ or the 150w.

Yeah, I've noticed the less dry hits/re drip issue, but somehow lately I've found a happy medium. Here's my current set-up with the Petri

IMG_7685.jpg IMG_7686.jpg

You can still see the deck with the cotton on the backside, it's by no means stuffed. I've found stuffing it does prevent a lot of leakage because there's more for cotton to absorb the juice. But It seems kind of wasteful, juice-wise. And stuffing it kind of 'chokes' the coil for lack of a better term

Humbardy

Mar 30, 2015
Montclair, NJ
Wow, sounds like a nice friend.

He's a pretty big tool, but he's a good guy. He even gave me his iPV3, free of charge!

Yeah, I've noticed the less dry hits/re drip issue, but somehow lately I've found a happy medium. Here's my current set-up with the Petri

That Petri looks so awesome man. How are you liking it? It's one of those atty's that I haven't heard any feedback from, but every time I see it I drool a little bit.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My only rebuildable tank atomizer is a Kayfun Lite Plus. It performs perfectly after a learning curve (proper filling level and amount of wick material). I did have some temporary leaking out the air hole issues, directly caused by a bad o-ring resolved with its replacement.

I have use Rayon (cellucotton), organic cotton, cotton bacon, and Japanese cotton. I like them all except for organic cotton.

I use the Cotton Nest wicking technique described by crxess on this forum.

cotton_nest.jpg cotton_nest2.jpg cotton nest

okozmonoto

Mar 12, 2015
Florida
That Petri looks so awesome man. How are you liking it? It's one of those atty's that I haven't heard any feedback from, but every time I see it I drool a little bit.

I like it. I do think for the price, its a little limited, but the build room on the 2 post design is stellar. I hope on the V2, they'd do something like a mutation without the center block... like, the two posts re build into the rim, giving even more room. I think since the whole deck is PEEK, they could essentially just build a 2 piece deck with a peek sliver separating them.. ehm, sorry for the tangent.

But, as far as it being limited: I didn't like the stock topcap. I've only been using it with a 22mm chuff cap. And I had to drill the post holes a little bigger. The airflow is a little limited, barely underneath 2, 1/8" holes on either side. But, I imagine I can't complain too much it's been my go-to RDA lately, and is super fun to build on.

ceedee

Mar 30, 2015
Bath, UK
I was actually looking at the 100W, since I rarely ever vape over 80W, but I feel like if I hang in for another couple of months there will be something that's in the 100W range, that doesn't have a wonky chip or finicky 510 pin. Did anyone else find other things that they disliked about the Seg 150W or 100W+?.

I've recently added a Sigelei 100W+ to my modest collection of mechs and regulated mods and have been surprised how quickly I've adapted to it's (relatively) huge size.

My only criticism is that when you adjust the wattage up or down, single clicks work fine but if you press the button for longer than a second, the display races away so fast you have little control. So adjusting from, say 10w up to 35w, you'd hold the up button until the display started scrolling and find you'd overshot your target and were on 48w. Somehow Sigelei need to look at a different method for short-range changes.

Other than that, only the fire button could do with improving. Overall I like it a lot and will be looking closely at other Sigelei models when it's time to upgrade.

Steven G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2014
Southern California
Greetings Humbardy and Welcome to the ECF. I pull the cotton through the coil till it is tight then cut it at each side of the bass then tuck it in the base it fills the opening up but is not packed tight................................................................Enjoy........................................................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread