New Member, looking for advice about Fresia RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

riz.cit06

Jul 17, 2020
Hello, I'm new here.
I am seeking some advice about wicking on my rta.

I have been using the Damn Vape Fresia rta, for nearly a year now. Haven't faced many issues with it, other than occasional minor leaks or dry-hits with low-quality juices. I mostly use VG/PG-70/30 type store-bought juices with it(occasionally VG/PG-60/40). But the leaking always been minimum or rare. I use pre-built coil-master claptons(2.5 mm, 26 wrapped in 32), and Cotton Bacon Prime for wicking.

Recently I bought HaloCig's Timber e-liquid, which is described as high PG(not sure what's the percentage, maybe 70%). The RTA's been leaking, consistently :(

Anyone else experienced similar issues with this RTA and high-PG juices?
(Apologies, my English might be a bit rusty.)

Reactions: DPLongo22

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
I love my Freesias and, like you, have had a few problems with minor leaks and dry hits, but it’s a great atty! I usually vape juice that is 70% PG so I understand how the thin juices tend to leak. Most RTA leaks can be easily fixed by using a little extra wicking or by sorting out any issues with the o-ring. I imagine yours is a wicking issue. Just make sure to use enough wicking so it fits tightly in the coil and fills the juice channels. Hope that works for you!

Welcome to ECF!

riz.cit06

Jul 17, 2020
I love my Freesias and, like you, have had a few problems with minor leaks and dry hits, but it’s a great atty! I usually vape juice that is 70% PG so I understand how the thin juices tend to leak. Most RTA leaks can be easily fixed by using a little extra wicking or by sorting out any issues with the o-ring. I imagine yours is a wicking issue. Just make sure to use enough wicking so it fits tightly in the coil and fills the juice channels. Hope that works for you!

Welcome to ECF!

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Yeah, I will try wicking it tighter/thicker.

I love this RTA, quite unique & the flavour comes out really good. Not very good for pure MTL though, which is fine with me.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Recently I bought HaloCig's Timber e-liquid, which is described as high PG(not sure what's the percentage, maybe 70%). The RTA's been leaking, consistently :(

Halo's eliquids are high PG; I guess 70-80 PG. For some reason they won't disclose the exact percentages even though they have been asked. It's proprietary.

I like high PG eliquids myself, but sometimes adding a bit of VG (preferably with nicotine) helps with viscosity. I mostly DIY now, but I've always been a fan of Halo's Ice Menthol.

riz.cit06

Jul 17, 2020
I agree. It's not foolproof, but when wicked and coiled correctly, it's a great loose MTL. Not my go-to and not an atty I would take with me on a road trip. It stays home. :)
It is my only rebuildable tank till now, I'm fairly new in this particular category. Picked it up over the EXPROMIZER V4 & Ares MTL in the shop.

Been using a nautilus 2s tank before that(mostly on 0.7 ohm coils), now I miss the MTL airlflow of that Aspire tank. Maybe I'll buy a proper MTL tank soon. Recently I realized that it is the MTL airflow that helps me satisfy cravings for cigarettes, not necessarily the nicotine level.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
It is my only rebuildable tank till now, I'm fairly new in this particular category. Picked it up over the EXPROMIZER V4 & Ares MTL in the shop.

Been using a nautilus 2s tank before that(mostly on 0.7 ohm coils), now I miss the MTL airlflow of that Aspire tank. Maybe I'll buy a proper MTL tank soon. Recently I realized that it is the MTL airflow that helps me satisfy cravings for cigarettes, not necessarily the nicotine level.

I think that the new Ares 2 would have been a better choice for a proper (tighter) MTL and for a beginner--the deck is easy to work with and you get all the supplies to make coils for a couple of months--premade coils, wire, cotton, coiling gizmo. I'm still waiting for mine so I can't vouch for it personally, but the reviews are very good. What I don't recommend it the Ares v1--that one had problems, including leaks.

Never had the Expromizer. But since you already know how to search this forum, I'm sure you can find lots of user info. Also YouTube videos are very helpful.

And check out this thread--if you're in the market for a new MTL RTA:

RTA upgrade

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Been using a nautilus 2s tank before that(mostly on 0.7 ohm coils), now I miss the MTL airlflow of that Aspire tank.

If you're looking for a tank with drop-in coils, try Zlide or Zenith with 1.6Ω or .8Ω coils. Similar to Nautilus but, IMO, better. And the coils last a very long time.

riz.cit06

Jul 17, 2020
If you're looking for a tank with drop-in coils, try Zlide or Zenith with 1.6Ω or ;8Ω coils. Similar to the Nautilus but, IMO, better. And the coils last a very long time.
Have Zenith too, coils are better than Nautilus, but I personally prefer the Nautilus airflow.
Also, once I tried rebuildables, going back those tanks seemed a poorer option, flavour/cost wise.

The community is really helpful toward new vapers, and this forum specially, even for non-members. Lots of info here.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Have Zenith too, coils are better than Nautilus, but I personally prefer the Nautilus airflow.

Yeah, I suspected this much. I tend to prefer loose MTL/RDL vapes myself; Nautilus was getting too tight for me.

There are other RTAs for "proper" MTL--Dvarw MTL FL, the Berserker v1 and v2, Kayfuns Prime and KL19, etc.,(you can get decent clones if you just want to try them on FT and 3FVape and Sourcemore)--all are listed and briefly discussed in the thread I linked above.

Good luck!

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Welcome to ECF, riz.cit06. I agree with what JustWondering1 said about needing more wick for eliqs with a higher percentage ratio. I make my own liqs, with close to a 80/20 PG/VG ratio. After several leaks, I solved the issue by using a bit more wicking material than I thought I needed. Cotton in my case, I don't know if the same happens with rayon.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    The community is really helpful toward new vapers, and this forum specially, even for non-members. Lots of info here.
    Really good people here... welcome! Personally, don't like over 35 % PG (bothers my throat a little but not a big issue) Yes it's thinner and will cause issues with leaks (especially if the RTA is in a hot environment like a car or even in your pocket) Does it stay at home or do you take it as a carry around? It also helps if you close the airflow while filling (and when not vaping it) Mostly, it's all about how you do the wick.

riz.cit06

Jul 17, 2020
    Really good people here... welcome! Personally, don't like over 35 % PG (bothers my throat a little but not a big issue) Yes it's thinner and will cause issues with leaks (especially if the RTA is in a hot environment like a car or even in your pocket) Does it stay at home or do you take it as a carry around? It also helps if you close the airflow while filling (and when not vaping it) Mostly, it's all about how you do the wick.
    • PG used to bother me in the beginning, specially when I was vaping nic salts, they were mostly 50 PG at least.
    • The area I live is is consistently around 28-30 degrees Celsius. Unfortunately with the Fresia RTA, it will leak out whether I close the airflow while filling or not. However, wicking it a bit thicker/tighter (like @JustWondering1 suggested) helps. But that can cause occasional dry hits.
    Is there a specific reason you want high PG juices? I like VG and just use enough PG to keep my tank wicking well (30 % for RTAs, 35 % for "drop-in" coils)

• Due to this pandemic, there is limited supply in my country. Among the available ones, HaloCig's Timber was the one available. Never tried their brand before, so thought would give it a chance.
    • I usually like 70% VG liquids, that's the sweet spot for me :D

Last edited:

riz.cit06

Jul 17, 2020
    Welcome to ECF, riz.cit06. I agree with what JustWondering1 said about needing more wick for eliqs with a higher percentage ratio. I make my own liqs, with close to a 80/20 PG/VG ratio. After several leaks, I solved the issue by using a bit more wicking material than I thought I needed. Cotton in my case, I don't know if the same happens with rayon.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
    I have tried wicking like you & @JustWondering1 suggested, it works well.
    However, I found my leftover Aspire BVC coils(1.8 ohm), with those the Nautilus 2s tank performs better(airflow/throat-hit wise) than my Fresia RTA, flavour is muted though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread