The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

New member. Looking for the best mesh RTA to buy

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by thomasterrible, Jun 6, 2018.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. thomasterrible

thomasterrible Full Member

May 24, 2018
    Hi,
    I have been vaping for a few years. I mostly have purchased atomizers with pre-manufactured coils. I do have a Crave Aromamizer Supreme and that was OK especially as it saved me a lot of money on coils at the time.

I have recently purchased mesh coil heads for my Smok Big Baby Beast and really like the mesh approach.

In talking with someone they were very happy with their Digiflavor Themis but I could not really find a "best mesh" anywhere. So that is my question. I like cool vapor and even with higher wattage rated coils usually end up in the 37-40 watt range and get a decent amount of vapor. I vape primarily for flavor but it is nice to see a bit of a cloud when desired. I just am not in to burning myself in search for a big cloud.

I see that there is a place specific to this aspect of vaping but I am following what I read about making posts here first as a new member. Hopefully I was correct and there is someone that can point me in the right direction or suggest what I should try or stay away from. For regular coils I like the Bacon wick. I was also curious if that is also an appropriate wick for these mesh builds or if cotton works better for them.

Thanks In advance.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Letitia

Letitia Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Mesh rtas are fairly new and not sure if there any others. I would yt them just to see what's out there. There are some rdas. Double your juice budget.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thomasterrible

May 24, 2018
    Yes just poking around I saw one by Vandy and have not done a huge search. I have quite a bit of juice. I have some that is not bad and I have 10 120ml bottles of that. Then I have a couple that I like best, a red licorice and a vanilla. Those are more expensive. But aside from having the 5 Big Baby Beasts which I can get cheap coils with a good lifespan and keep costs down I have others too. Primarily so I can have several flavors on tap at any time.

I do have to consider vaping costs but with some big sales I took advantage of my cost of vaping is not terribly high. I am guessing the rolls of mesh will cost less than a commercially made mesh coil.

I will keep looking but there has to be some out there that have had both good and bad luck with particular devices. Unbiased real world experience with them would be nice to hear.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    VV sells mesh spools. Once you know what size you need you can order those and cut down on trimming and waste. YT how to prime the mesh before installing the coil. Hemostats are handy for that. If you have ceramic tweezers they work as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. thomasterrible

May 24, 2018
    Thanks yes I have seen those spools of mesh. I am going to have a decision to make there too. I will check out the priming once I have the device but I am very much careful with priming coils commercial or ones I make. I think the biggest mistake people make is hitting it too quickly after priming.
    I will also be figuring out if using the Bacon wick which I think works well for regular builds is also good for mesh builds.
    I am sure that information is out there too. Once the exact perfect size piece of mesh is known I would plan on making some cut ahead of time. These are still pretty new but I would like to hear and see what others have done and go from there.

In the meantime I just bought a ton of coils so I am not rushing it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    You have to prime the mesh itself. YT using mesh.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Tralfaz

Tralfaz Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Orbit City
    VV has a mesh RTA - Mesh 24 RTA | VANDY VAPE

I tried that VV mesh RDA but wasn't a fan. It always felt like I was on the verge of a nasty dry hit and keeping it juiced was a pain. When the conditions were right, it was a great vape though. This RTA would eliminate the worry of keeping the mesh adequately juiced. As far as wicking goes, I think Cotton Bacon should work pretty well. You need to jam it in there really tight to make sure there is wick in contact with the entire surface of the mesh and Cotton Bacon is already nice and dense.

There are some good videos on YT showing the best way to wick mesh.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. thomasterrible

May 24, 2018
    Thanks yes that makes sense. Also there are multiple choices in the metal and weave used which I will need to decide upon, I think the mfg. would be good for that. The Themis deck looks pretty nice.
    The person that had one of those liked similar cool vapor and lower wattage settings which was good. I will take a close look and perhaps even give it a bit of time for some more choices for mesh come out. Wait for the bugs to get worked out. Sort of like not buying the first year of a new car model. I dont want to buy anything I wouldn't consider good enough to be my only tank if I was in that hypothetical situation.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Myk

Myk Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA

I ordered a Themis yesterday. Obviously I haven't tried it yet. I should get it Friday.

The reason I picked the Themis over the Vandy is watching YouTube videos the Themis looks like a very easy build/wick. Themis also holds 5ml which is my usual. It also looks like it would work with wire coils if I don't like mesh.

The Vandy Vape mesh RTA holds less and the first thing a build video has is "a little trick". I want my first mesh to be easy and not need any tricks. It is more the style that interested me so I might end up with that one too if I really like mesh.

Those are the only 2 mesh RTAs the place I order from has. Seems to be more mesh RDA choices.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. thomasterrible

May 24, 2018
    Cool thanks,
    If you don't mind let me know how the Themis turns out in practice for you. I know everywhere I have looked is that they have a Themis Mesh model and a Themis coil model. I don't know if this is just a different deck or if you can buy an interchangeable deck but the sell them as two models.

I am not in the mood to mess around too much with making coils all the time. It seems like it would be much easier to strap down a piece of mesh. I could be wrong but it seems that way from the videos I have watched and how it looks. And for sure I am not interested in anything without at least 5ml of juice capacity. Especially if you vape a lot each day it will run out fast. I think it would suck to live somewhere they only allow a maximum of a 2ml tank. I don't quite get the logic there. I am pretty sure you can still buy a dozen cartons of cigarettes. If they want to do something in the name of health then check to see the ingredients meet the standards they should. It took me a long time to decide to try vaping as I was very unsure if I would like it and didn't want to waste my money. Well after I bought my first vape unit it took me 5 more cigarettes to quit and it has been 3 years since I have had one. I started out on 12% nic and after some months went to 6% and then to 3%. I never get the head rush of the first cigarette in the morning and I really am not sure how much nicotine I am truly using because I can't feel it. I just enjoy vaping and having clear lungs.

So yeah if you can give me your take on your new purchase I would appreciate it.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Myk

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    If I remember. I'll watch this thread so that should help if I remember to look at the watch list.

The mesh model is a clamp deck. It should be able to clamp wires as easy as it does mesh or so the video claimed. The coil deck won't do mesh, it looks like it could do singles or duals. I don't think they sell them separately but they are interchangeable. They have closeups of the decks here. Digiflavor Themis RTA

Whether I stick with mesh or not Themis looks like it would be a real change over the SubTank/TFV4s I've been using since they came out. Enough capacity for me to go for a day and leak proof (I'm skeptical of that claim, I can believe leak resitant) top air flow.

• Like Like x 2
  12. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I haven't used mesh, but I might suggest trying an RTA that can use mesh AND other coils, if you can find one that suits your vaping style. I think there may well be some definite advantages to mesh and not having to recoil/rewick, most mesh tanks on the market aren't going to give me the resistances I need.

Mesh does seem to be a "love it or hate it" type of situation, so at least that way, you'd have options.

I certainly can't explain mesh (obviously) but a few youtube videos on the subject most certainly wouldn't go amiss and etc.

Best of luck!

Anna

• Like Like x 2
  13. thomasterrible

May 24, 2018
    Thanks for the input. There really are not many mesh devices on the market right now. Also I do have the Crave I could use for regular coils but am just not in to that but having tried and liking the mesh "coils" not sure what to call them because they are not really coils. But I do prefer them over the many other choices so the thought of a way to not have so much time dedicated to messing around with coils yet getting what I hope to be a good vaping experience and lower my vaping costs even further is enticing. The person using a Themis who used it at low wattage and gave me a list of builds sounded good. Not that I don't believe or trust them I just want to do my own research and try to ensure I buy the right products. If I just bought a device and the mesh and not like the result would be an unhappy waste of money. As I mentioned I have a bunch of atomizers with a bunch of mesh coils and plenty of juice so I can take my time deciding what is best and perhaps new mesh devices will appear on the market.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Tralfaz

Sep 12, 2012
    Orbit City
    Honestly, I think the best way to experience vaping with mesh right now is with a sub-ohm tank coil head. I haven't used a sub tank since the days of the TFV8 but all the great things I've been hearing about the current crop of mesh coil heads has me wanting to go pick up a new tank to try them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. thomasterrible

May 24, 2018
    I have 6 tanks I have lots of experience using every coil made and since trying the mesh coils I have been using nothing but those.
    Smok actually has two mesh styles, one tighter woven they call mesh and bigger wire and weave they call strip for certain tanks. That is the reason for my interest in this,

• Like Like x 4
  16. denali_41

denali_41 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Over Der
    there are 2 mesh rda's i am aware of ,the VV mesh and another i forget the name of .the coil 3/4 circular and vertical
    i have the VV rda,tried it two differnt times with mesh and both times i noticed the cotton at the top of the coil was not juicing nearly as well as the bottom section,flavor was just so so.i put dual coils in it and it came alive

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tralfaz

Sep 12, 2012
    Orbit City
    The Digiflavor Mesh Pro is the other RDA. That one looks a little better than the VV one, IMO but I haven't tried it. Considering the wicking issues inherent with using mesh, I'd say an RTA is definitely the way to go.

• Useful Useful x 2
  18. thomasterrible

May 24, 2018
    The Themis is the one that I have spoken to an owner about and have looked at it and it does look like nice quality but how it functions I wish I could try for myself.

It is odd but all of my Uwell tanks never leak. They seem well engineered and the coils look like they are very high quality items. If I were to select things but looks only I would think Uwell over Smok hands down. I have used a few other brands but those are the two primary ones. The Smok tanks and coils though IMO not as high quality or as well engineered just work better for me so that it what I use.

• Like Like x 1
  19. thomasterrible

May 24, 2018
    I am not interested in making coils or i would use the RTA I already own but don't use.
    It could be the designs have to develop, I don't know. But it is pretty difficult to judge something I have never used. I would be surprised if mesh is not here to stay however. When I ordered my first mesh coil heads I was not expecting much. I was actually surprised that I could tell the difference such as I can. So i like the concept.
    I am OK keeping on buying mesh coils as needed until I am confident in a device enough to buy one.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Myk

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    So at least you're sure you like mesh. The cost of a roll of mesh shouldn't be any more than buying a coil and you'll have a lot of attempts to learn. But actually the Themis looks easy enough. Figure out how much mesh it takes to get the amount of wick that works for you. Cotton balls like I use may be hit and miss on wicking, if you use cotton sheets it could all come down to measuring. X length of mesh, X width of cotton.

I've tried one mesh coil in the Scion II. Problem is I don't like VW. I need TC. My trial with Themis will be based around that. If mesh won't do good TC I'll be rolling coils.
    Your risk is if you can't build mesh you can't buy coils for either of the mesh RTAs.

• Useful Useful x 2