New member. Looking for the best mesh RTA to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
So at least you're sure you like mesh. The cost of a roll of mesh shouldn't be any more than buying a coil and you'll have a lot of attempts to learn. But actually the Themis looks easy enough. Figure out how much mesh it takes to get the amount of wick that works for you. Cotton balls like I use may be hit and miss on wicking, if you use cotton sheets it could all come down to measuring. X length of mesh, X width of cotton.

I've tried one mesh coil in the Scion II. Problem is I don't like VW. I need TC. My trial with Themis will be based around that. If mesh won't do good TC I'll be rolling coils.
Your risk is if you can't build mesh you can't buy coils for either of the mesh RTAs.

Sure. When I was making coils it was not difficult to make nice coils. For whatever reason the thing that made a big difference was if I used clapton coils or not. Any clapton I made was at least as good as any I bought premade. The mesh seems like it would be even more simple. Get the right dimensions, hopefully one of those would be the same as the width of the roll of mesh. Then cutting the right length would be it. I like the Bacon wick for when I was making my own. I liked the Crave Aromamizer Supreme as it had a good juice capacity and an adjustable juice feed. The deck has a partition that gets in the way but Crave came out with a revised deck one can buy for a reasonable price to fix that. They still sell parts for them and for very reasonable prices.

Actually that is going to be one of my biggest general questions is if the Bacon works well for mesh or not.
Unless there is some reason it does not work as well or better that is what I would use. If it is not compatible I would likely use the same type of organic cotton I used for the coils. That is why I am asking around about this to try to gather information from as many sources as I can before spending my money.

But yes absolutely I DO like mesh. I use the same wattage but it heats up instantly and evenly as it is in full contact with the wick and it really makes a difference. I am sure the different mesh has different results but I have only tried the one since that is all that is made for the tanks I use it with.

Reactions: stols001

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Sure. When I was making coils it was not difficult to make nice coils. For whatever reason the thing that made a big difference was if I used clapton coils or not. Any clapton I made was at least as good as any I bought premade. The mesh seems like it would be even more simple. Get the right dimensions, hopefully one of those would be the same as the width of the roll of mesh. Then cutting the right length would be it. I like the Bacon wick for when I was making my own. I liked the Crave Aromamizer Supreme as it had a good juice capacity and an adjustable juice feed. The deck has a partition that gets in the way but Crave came out with a revised deck one can buy for a reasonable price to fix that. They still sell parts for them and for very reasonable prices.

Actually that is going to be one of my biggest general questions is if the Bacon works well for mesh or not.
Unless there is some reason it does not work as well or better that is what I would use. If it is not compatible I would likely use the same type of organic cotton I used for the coils. That is why I am asking around about this to try to gather information from as many sources as I can before spending my money.

But yes absolutely I DO like mesh. I use the same wattage but it heats up instantly and evenly as it is in full contact with the wick and it really makes a difference. I am sure the different mesh has different results but I have only tried the one since that is all that is made for the tanks I use it with.

I've never held cotton bacon but from pictures I'd say that would make it easy.

What I was told about Themis is you want the tails light. What would leak on a bottom air flow is what you want with a top air flow.

The trick on the Vandy Vapes angled the top of the mesh in, guessing, I think that puts a thicker wick at the top so the top doesn't dry out.
I like the concept of the wrap because it looks like bought coils but I think the liquid feed would lose it on that one. Themis feeds like any other wick plus should have plenty of wick not being heated inside the mesh arch to keep the mesh saturated.

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
I've never held cotton bacon but from pictures I'd say that would make it easy.

What I was told about Themis is you want the tails light. What would leak on a bottom air flow is what you want with a top air flow.

The trick on the Vandy Vapes angled the top of the mesh in, guessing, I think that puts a thicker wick at the top so the top doesn't dry out.
I like the concept of the wrap because it looks like bought coils but I think the liquid feed would lose it on that one. Themis feeds like any other wick plus should have plenty of wick not being heated inside the mesh arch to keep the mesh saturated.

That would be nice. Obviously I have not used one of these before but it seems to me that Bacon wick would be more saturated than cotton which would be an advantage. With the coils I buy for my Smok tanks they just have a piece of mesh around the inside of the cotton but it does not come up to the top of the cotton. What happens is that that bit of cotton at the top does not have any mesh holding it back and as it becomes fully saturated with juice and during use and sitting it expands so the hole for air to come out is much smaller than it is before it is primed and sits in juice.

Since Vandy sells more than one type of mesh I think I will drop them a note and ask them some questions.
I will have to do that for any device I would get anyway.

BTW I am sorry but I did not understand what you meant by "wanting the tails light" or about the airflow. I do understand that it is a top airflow and am interested in the point you are making with your comment it is just not clicking with me so if you wouldn't mind rephrasing it perhaps so I know what you are talking about would be nice. Thanks Much,

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
BTW I am sorry but I did not understand what you meant by "wanting the tails light" or about the airflow. I do understand that it is a top airflow and am interested in the point you are making with your comment it is just not clicking with me so if you wouldn't mind rephrasing it perhaps so I know what you are talking about would be nice. Thanks Much,

Bottom air flow tanks, SubTank, TFV4 are what I'm familiar with, you want to plug the feed holes somewhat with wick or else the liquid just flows in and down the air hole. It's a fine balance.

On the deck of the Themis you have liquid sitting underneath with 2 feed holes. The wick tails go through the feed holes but you don't want to plug the holes solid with wick.
I don't have one so maybe you do what them filled with wick so the chamber isn't flooded, just not as tight as with a bottom air flow.

Bottom air flow without any wick just pours out. Top air flow without any wick may (or may not) flood the chamber, but it doesn't pour out. It's that ability to flood you use to feed (or if it doesn't flood at all you allow it to get as close as possible).
Make sense?

The extra wick at top of the mesh is how the Plexus coil is for the Scion II. It's also how I get the top of my long vertical builds on TFV4 to keep the top from drying.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

About halfway through this video may explain the wicking better than I understood when it was said to me. He only builds the coil deck but it seems like it's what was explained to me with the mesh deck. Although I'm guessing how I understood what was explained (want the liquid freely flowing so you'd think it would flood) also applies because I'm thinking the surface area of mesh can drink liquid.

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
About halfway through this video may explain the wicking better than I understood when it was said to me. He only builds the coil deck but it seems like it's what was explained to me with the mesh deck. Although I'm guessing how I understood what was explained (want the liquid freely flowing so you'd think it would flood) also applies because I'm thinking the surface area of mesh can drink liquid.

Thanks Much I will check that out. I hope to find some substantial builds that are quick and easy.
The contact is for sure greatly increased. It is that and the instant and even heating that I think gives the results I like from the mesh coils I have been buying...only better and cheaper I hope.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Thanks Much I will check that out. I hope to find some substantial builds that are quick and easy.
The contact is for sure greatly increased. It is that and the instant and even heating that I think gives the results I like from the mesh coils I have been buying...only better and cheaper I hope.

I was looking long and hard last night for mesh builds on it and there were few English speaking. Seems all the reviewers got the set but only built the coil deck.
I think it's the above video that says the mesh deck was going to originally be called a single coil deck although you can do duals on it if you're talented. So it should at least work for me in that aspect.
Some were complaining about mesh with TC. So that might not work for me.

I do have a lot of varied mesh from mesh wicked gennies to play with. Plus the highest ohm rolls coming from Vandy Vapes.

Sometimes USPS surprises me and delivers early from Hawaii, but I guess not this time. The way the progress is going I'm not even sure if it will make it by tomorrow. Hopefully tracking is just slow to update.

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
I was looking long and hard last night for mesh builds on it and there were few English speaking. Seems all the reviewers got the set but only built the coil deck.
I think it's the above video that says the mesh deck was going to originally be called a single coil deck although you can do duals on it if you're talented. So it should at least work for me in that aspect.
Some were complaining about mesh with TC. So that might not work for me.

I do have a lot of varied mesh from mesh wicked gennies to play with. Plus the highest ohm rolls coming from Vandy Vapes.

Sometimes USPS surprises me and delivers early from Hawaii, but I guess not this time. The way the progress is going I'm not even sure if it will make it by tomorrow. Hopefully tracking is just slow to update.

I like to have a selection so the more varieties of mesh available to choose from the better.
The mesh coils I use in my Big Baby Beast tanks are .15 ohms. I run them at the same 37-40 watts I do with .4 ohm coils and get a very similar amount of cool vapor. Different materials the mesh is will make a difference too obviously. I don't use TC with anything really. I just adjust the wattage. I have tried the TC on most all the mods I have had but so far have not found an advantage of doing that vs wattage on my purchased coils so I will probably try it when I get that far but be surprised if I stuck with it. But for sure at least have to try it with a SS mesh or whatever I find most appropriate.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I like to have a selection so the more varieties of mesh available to choose from the better.
The mesh coils I use in my Big Baby Beast tanks are .15 ohms. I run them at the same 37-40 watts I do with .4 ohm coils and get a very similar amount of cool vapor. Different materials the mesh is will make a difference too obviously. I don't use TC with anything really. I just adjust the wattage. I have tried the TC on most all the mods I have had but so far have not found an advantage of doing that vs wattage on my purchased coils so I will probably try it when I get that far but be surprised if I stuck with it. But for sure at least have to try it with a SS mesh or whatever I find most appropriate.

If TC doesn't work I'm sure I'll play with mesh with VW.
Judging from claptons in TC it may just be a matter of breaking it in. Or buying Vapefly stamped mesh which shouldn't be a problem in TC.

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
If TC doesn't work I'm sure I'll play with mesh with VW.
Judging from claptons in TC it may just be a matter of breaking it in. Or buying Vapefly stamped mesh which shouldn't be a problem in TC.
Sure. I have not searched the mesh market yet so am not familiar with it yet. I just know if I tell them what I want they should be good at recommendations. TC is fine it just has not worked well for me buy wattage has.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Sure. I have not searched the mesh market yet so am not familiar with it yet. I just know if I tell them what I want they should be good at recommendations. TC is fine it just has not worked well for me buy wattage has.

Reading that other thread you shouldn't have any problems with Themis and wattage once you get the wick requirements down.

I dug out my sheet cotton that came with tanks. Figured I'd do that before jumping in trying to get cotton balls to come apart consistently.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
It showed up.

I know you're not wanting TC but it looks like it will work in TC. The key is to pulse without a wick and watch the Ω. They initially glow really hot. As they pulse the cool Ω fall (depending how your mod works it could be at the button push where you see it fall at the button push). When it stops falling reset it and lock it in. I turned TCR down from .00088 to .00084-.00086 on both mods I've used it on and it seems better.

1" long mesh. The stock mesh is 8mm, 9mm is a tight fit, the Vandy mesh is 10mm. The 400 and 500 mesh is what I have from gennie days. They all work. Watch the height, it comes close to the metal at top and I pushed it down to round it out.
Ω measurements are according to the mod I was building on, the ones I've been vaping on with the Vandy mesh is .01Ω lower.
stock .20Ω
Vandy (200) x9mm 18Ω
400 x9mm .27Ω
400 x8mm .28Ω
500 x8mm .30Ω

Sheet cotton
5/8"x1" wasn't too tight or too loose.

I angled the scissors to only cut the base of the cotton and stuffed it all in. At 1" the top wasn't cut at all. Is it feeding right? I don't know how to tell unless my vapor stops and it hasn't done that. It's not as much vapor as when it was fresh primed, drip a little and it is, so maybe I do need to work on the wicking. My bubble is growing so it is feeding.
Fairly easy to build except for the straight slotted screws.

One problem I see with the Vandy tank is the trick I saw was to angle the mesh in at the top. I can say from pulsing this, angled mesh means you get a hot and cold side. And that was slightly angled, they were angling it quite a bit.

I'd tell you how great it tastes but this is a lot of cotton. It seems like it will have a lot of flavor once that's gone and I get the wicking down.
It's big. Fatter but shorter than a full size TFV4.
So that's my 20 minute review. It might change in a week.

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
Well you have something and are trying to dial it in. I have watched a few videos as I have had time. I had a lot of yesterday with Comcast service off so no TV or internet. I saw one device that was a dripper which I am not in to but it had two tall posts fairly close together so the mesh attached in a horizontal way and they were pretty sloppy but it ended up looking like a basket ball net shape is the best I can describe. Then they just stuffed cotton in to it. After they did a quick bit of priming they did not get much vapor coming off of it then they put the cap on and took a hit and got much more and the clip ended. I think perhaps both the product and the person who made the video were not the best.

I also was looking at the Bacon Prime wick which is not that expensive and I think would work well just because I think it would keep more juice on the mesh and have no trouble keeping up with it as it was vaped. I will take input on this and bring it up with those who make the mesh but it seems like it would be good and no flavor issues.

Right now I am just using a Smok Mag as my main mod. The kit was cheap enough and I like the ergonomics, especially when I have to keep my attention on the road. I am not terribly impressed with it's ability to read ohms is my one complaint. It goes out to 3 places meaning .XXX but I think it is just ball park so it works but not crazy about that one thing. I had a Procolor that only lasted me 5 months so my 3 month warranty did not help and I almost didn't buy another of their products but I think I accidentally had the fire button pressed down accidentally when it was in my pocket and I was sleeping or something similar so it is supposed to protect against that but could be part my fault, I will never know. The Mag has what must be the exact same chip as it operates the same and has the same poor accuracy measuring ohms IMO.

I recently bought a COV Tempest so I would not get caught with a lost or stolen or broken mod again and they were on clearance for $10 and take 3 batteries. It is good for a backup as it can go for days on some Samsung Q30 batteries I got for it and the ohm readings of coils is much closer to what the coils are marked as and are stable. I still only use it as a backup but it sort of supports my feelings on the mod having the flaw I think it does.
So I am still investigating thing as I have time and will buy something when I can see something that is agreed to work well and reliably. Maybe someone will come out with a new device before long. I think we will see a lot of growth in mesh.

I was talking to the owner of a vape shop I know and he was talking about it being difficult to get the mesh coils in. I thought that an odd statement because I buy as many as I want at the online store I use. I think there is a lot pointing to this being a new way of vaping that will be embraced better when the designs are working right.

I thought about getting a tank that also takes mesh coils but then thought I would keep using the 5 atomizers that can take the same coils and if I get a tank make it a rebuildable. It is pretty early in the game. I don't even see Smok selling their own "Strip" (larger wire mesh) coils on their site yet.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Well you have something and are trying to dial it in. I have watched a few videos as I have had time. I had a lot of yesterday with Comcast service off so no TV or internet. I saw one device that was a dripper which I am not in to but it had two tall posts fairly close together so the mesh attached in a horizontal way and they were pretty sloppy but it ended up looking like a basket ball net shape is the best I can describe. Then they just stuffed cotton in to it. After they did a quick bit of priming they did not get much vapor coming off of it then they put the cap on and took a hit and got much more and the clip ended. I think perhaps both the product and the person who made the video were not the best.

I also was looking at the Bacon Prime wick which is not that expensive and I think would work well just because I think it would keep more juice on the mesh and have no trouble keeping up with it as it was vaped. I will take input on this and bring it up with those who make the mesh but it seems like it would be good and no flavor issues.

Right now I am just using a Smok Mag as my main mod. The kit was cheap enough and I like the ergonomics, especially when I have to keep my attention on the road. I am not terribly impressed with it's ability to read ohms is my one complaint. It goes out to 3 places meaning .XXX but I think it is just ball park so it works but not crazy about that one thing. I had a Procolor that only lasted me 5 months so my 3 month warranty did not help and I almost didn't buy another of their products but I think I accidentally had the fire button pressed down accidentally when it was in my pocket and I was sleeping or something similar so it is supposed to protect against that but could be part my fault, I will never know. The Mag has what must be the exact same chip as it operates the same and has the same poor accuracy measuring ohms IMO.

I recently bought a COV Tempest so I would not get caught with a lost or stolen or broken mod again and they were on clearance for $10 and take 3 batteries. It is good for a backup as it can go for days on some Samsung Q30 batteries I got for it and the ohm readings of coils is much closer to what the coils are marked as and are stable. I still only use it as a backup but it sort of supports my feelings on the mod having the flaw I think it does.
So I am still investigating thing as I have time and will buy something when I can see something that is agreed to work well and reliably. Maybe someone will come out with a new device before long. I think we will see a lot of growth in mesh.

I was talking to the owner of a vape shop I know and he was talking about it being difficult to get the mesh coils in. I thought that an odd statement because I buy as many as I want at the online store I use. I think there is a lot pointing to this being a new way of vaping that will be embraced better when the designs are working right.

I thought about getting a tank that also takes mesh coils but then thought I would keep using the 5 atomizers that can take the same coils and if I get a tank make it a rebuildable. It is pretty early in the game. I don't even see Smok selling their own "Strip" (larger wire mesh) coils on their site yet.

Vertical posts and basketball hoop is how the Vandy mesh tank trick was, except upside down. I think working that out in a dripper or a tank so it wouldn't cause a dry hit would be difficult, especially in the tank since they had the shorter side up so it's getting less liquid from the feed and more heat. I don't think I'll be getting the vertical mesh coil, but I may end up with 2 Themises if it keeps on acting right.

I don't think mesh will replace coils for rebuilding. Coils are more fun. But rebuildable mesh certainly has a place for ease of rebuilding and flavor.

• Useful

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
I totally agree that coils are not going away.
Just that mesh is for sure good in the manufactured coils and simple and likely cheap and easy so someone like me would build mesh as long as it works well and,gives me,decent cool flavorful vapor. I am also hoping the cost to be less. That,would be ideal for, me.
I may decide to buy something like a Them is and have it be my main tank if it works,right. I will have all the others to swap flavors quickly.

If it is difficult for a vape store to get mesh coils it meana many people like them.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
5' of mesh (screen) (that's 1-2mm too wide) was under $4 so that's about 60 coils. Math tells me I could get about 450 coils out of my sheet of mesh (screen), you can get that for about $20 shipped.
The VapeFly stamped mesh is about $6-7 for 15 from China.

I doubt if it's difficult for the store to get drop in mesh coils. Maybe their supplier doesn't carry them or they don't like them.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread