New member. Looking for the best mesh RTA to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
Yes the top fill. Liquid won't flow out of the tank unless you set it down with the top off. It will remove the vacuum that keeps it from flooding the chamber. Just for a few seconds.
You could drip onto the coil. If that gets better you know you need less in the trays.

I just had a memory, doesn't a flooded atty mean less vapor? Other than you saying the wick was dry that could fit with less vapor but not burnt.
Since TC isn't controlling your wattage flooding wouldn't mean burnt hits like it did for me.

More people need to make videos building the mesh Themis. (Except I'm not sure how YT rules are for that now.)

Yes we need good information I just got a reply from Digi..will see what it says. That is what I thought you meant about the top but why would it not be stable? And I have not taken it apart yet I just let it sit upright over night then when to take a hit and it was nasty. But last night I didn't think it was wicking up from those trays. I wish my Crave Aromamizer Supreme could use mesh because that is a big chunk of metal and a lot better quality and engineering.
It has a ring up top you adjust how much juice flows with it. It wicks easily as it should. You can pull out the deck to work on without losing juice.
The one sort of odd thing is no matter how perfect I make coils using smooth wire it sucks. Any form of a Clapton works just fine. I will probably play with it in a few months once I get the V2 deck and spare parts.

Not giving up on the thermos yet though lol.

Reactions: stols001

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
That is what I thought you meant about the top but why would it not be stable?

Too much wick in the trays chokes off the feed, whether too much is deep or packed. You don't want to fill them up with wick at all. It's more like blocking them off so the liquid wants to flood but it runs into wick.
About the hardest thing is to figure out what to do with all the wick that fits in the mesh when it comes to stuffing it in the feed.
Once you get it figured out it should be easy.

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
Too much wick in the trays chokes off the feed, whether too much is deep or packed. You don't want to fill them up with wick at all. It's more like blocking them off so the liquid wants to flood but it runs into wick.
About the hardest thing is to figure out what to do with all the wick that fits in the mesh when it comes to stuffing it in the feed.
Once you get it figured out it should be easy.

The thing that is preventing me from understanding about the wick in the wick holes is how does the juice go from the input holes on the top of the tank and between the glass and inside metal of the unit? Does it fill from between that gap that exists between the build deck and the round tray under it? Or does it somehow come down the top where the holes are for the wick? The first example is the only one that makes sense to me. So then I would assume the wick would need to go inside the wick hole enough to it was touching the juice so it could work it's way to the main part of the wick.
I can see that packing it tightly could keep the capillary process of juice movement from happening. But loose and fluffy when dry wick should not do that.

When i look at the builds in photos they typically measure where they are going to cut the wick on the end by using curved tweezers and then pressing them against the tank to show that they would go down the hold but be short of touching the bottom. I will attempt a file upload for the first time so it likely won't work but will try and there is a second guy who claims to have found the only way he can do this build where he won't get dry hits. i will let you check both out and see what you think.

http://forum...................../t/review-and-giveaway-of-digiflavor-themis-rta-mesh-version/189751

Attachments

• Themis wick with tweezers.jpg
    Themis wick with tweezers.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 6

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
VV has a mesh RTA - Mesh 24 RTA | VANDY VAPE

I tried that VV mesh RDA but wasn't a fan. It always felt like I was on the verge of a nasty dry hit and keeping it juiced was a pain. When the conditions were right, it was a great vape though. This RTA would eliminate the worry of keeping the mesh adequately juiced. As far as wicking goes, I think Cotton Bacon should work pretty well. You need to jam it in there really tight to make sure there is wick in contact with the entire surface of the mesh and Cotton Bacon is already nice and dense.

There are some good videos on YT showing the best way to wick mesh.
Do you squonk? Try the Ceto by Cthulhu. I find it a great vape since it takes ejuice to the top of the RDA...

Reactions: Tralfaz

Tralfaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
Orbit City
Do you squonk? Try the Ceto by Cthulhu. I find it a great vape since it takes ejuice to the top of the RDA..
Sounds like that would be better than the VV Mesh RDA I had but I think I'm done with mesh in RDAs for now. I may check out a mesh sub tank at some point. Thanks for the suggestion, though :cool:

Reactions: Susaz

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
The thing that is preventing me from understanding about the wick in the wick holes is how does the juice go from the input holes on the top of the tank and between the glass and inside metal of the unit? Does it fill from between that gap that exists between the build deck and the round tray under it? Or does it somehow come down the top where the holes are for the wick? The first example is the only one that makes sense to me. So then I would assume the wick would need to go inside the wick hole enough to it was touching the juice so it could work it's way to the main part of the wick.
I can see that packing it tightly could keep the capillary process of juice movement from happening. But loose and fluffy when dry wick should not do that.

When i look at the builds in photos they typically measure where they are going to cut the wick on the end by using curved tweezers and then pressing them against the tank to show that they would go down the hold but be short of touching the bottom. I will attempt a file upload for the first time so it likely won't work but will try and there is a second guy who claims to have found the only way he can do this build where he won't get dry hits. i will let you check both out and see what you think.

http://forum...................../t/review-and-giveaway-of-digiflavor-themis-rta-mesh-version/189751

Liquid comes up from the bottom of the deck. If you had no wick blocking the holes I bet it would flood the chamber. That is how it comes up.
It may not if the mod was sitting on a table but it surely would with the natural motions mods go through.

If you've been following your assumption and it is not working follow the trust of what others tell you works. (Sorry, watching old episodes of Kung Fu so I felt a bit philosophical:lol:)
If you're trying to poke wick all the way below the deck into the tank that's the problem according to what I've seen. You might be able to get that to work pushing it further into the liquid but you may need it to be loose enough to let air into the tank.

I do put wick in the trays but only the top half of the bundle that is in the mesh and they go only very slightly into the trays, just enough to hold them there. If you look at my wick from the side it's cut like, \_/ with the bottom cut at the deck. I put none of the bottom into the trays intentionally. Across the top is 1" or slightly less.

I would say the wick pictured is very much too long. I would cut it no longer than half the thickness of the deck. And if I had as little mesh as they are using I may not thin the wick in half.

• Informative

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
I am going to see if I can get the Themis to work. I have not put much effort in to it. If I spend some time and it seems like it won't work consistently reliable I will put it aside.

If I were to find the time to deal with building coils I have to say that the Steam Crave Aromamizer Supreme with the V2 deck is really a nice giant of a RDTA. The Tank on top holds 7ml and there is a juice flow dial under that. You can build single or dual coils and horizontal or vertical and all sorts of configurations. I do a double coils build and each coil lines up perfectly with an air intake hole.
I get flavor and vapor as high as any of the commercial ones that I have used. There are no special tricks needed to just get it to work. Just build some good quality coils and install and wick them properly and it does it's part. It is pretty heavy and a large diameter so it will offset most mods with both it's size and weight but it is well designed and I got in after I had not vaped very long so I paid too much from a local store for it but I can still buy spare parts and upgrade parts for it new from Steam and they are very reasonably priced too.

But hopefully the Themis will start to work as it should with a bit of help from those that made it. Still waiting for an email reply.
I am also waiting for replies from Smok. One I sent the email almost 2 years ago and the other about 6 months ago. Worst customer service I have ever experienced. Even tried to call them in China.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
If I spend some time and it seems like it won't work consistently reliable I will put it aside.

I'm sure it can work consistently. If it's working for me in TC it would have to work in VW.

I think I have a rewicking coming up. I'll try to get some pictures.

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
I'm sure it can work consistently. If it's working for me in TC it would have to work in VW.

Ah Grasshopper,
I make no assumptions. I am simply seeking a more coherent explanation of your assertions.
Just because there are others with thoughts and views does nothing to validate them and is just blindly following random assertions to whatever end they lead to.

I am surprised to hear you make that statement at all considering I have not put forth ANY assumptions or suggested paths to follow. I have only mentioned requesting help from Digitech which should be familiar with how to use their own product and in the meantime reading individuals attempts which have differed and not meant to pass judgement on.
I do cut the ends of the wick shorter than the guy did in the photo. But I thought they needed to go down far enough to contact the wick. I understand your mention of the tank remaining straight and stable since the liquid would slosh around and hit the wick. However in my example I did not consider the wick would have not been very soaked from contacting,the liquid all night. Will never know. But when I put the wick in the holes I used a very thin piece of metal so it would have fanned out and been as fluffy as possible within its constructions of the holes. When the liquid contacted the wick it would have changed

So I will get more Kantbal as it is so cheap and hopefully get some good advice so I can get this working,reliably.

It would be awesome to get the same level of performance with this mesh as I could with the Steam. Time will tell. I have not uncovered the secret,yet.

I think I have a rewicking coming up. I'll try to get some pictures.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

It was where you assumed you would need to put the wick in further to feed.
Granted I assumed those who said to not put the wick in further were right. Although I have a velocity style deck I tried it on and so far it's working.

I also meant to say if it works for me in TC it should work in VW, however whether it will work for you I can't say.
I'm pretty methodical in my approach, with measurements, so I think a few pictures of wicking will push it over the edge for you to at least try what I do.

I don't know if it's so much the liquid sloshing as it is air getting into the tank causing liquid to rise into the chamber. Because there are two holes it shouldn't get the vacuum effect of holding your finger over a straw UNLESS there is more wick to hold the air back.
That's why I think less wick in the trays means more feed.

• Useful

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
Granted I assumed those who said to not put the wick in further were right. Although I have a velocity style deck I tried it on and so far it's working.

I also meant to say if it works for me in TC it should work in VW, however whether it will work for you I can't say.
I'm pretty methodical in my approach, with measurements, so I think a few pictures of wicking will push it over the edge for you to at least try what I do.

I don't know if it's so much the liquid sloshing as it is air getting into the tank causing liquid to rise into the chamber. Because there are two holes it shouldn't get the vacuum effect of holding your finger over a straw UNLESS there is more wick to hold the air back.

Lol. Could you please stop telling me what I assumed. This is not a life or death situation and the concept,of,putting less wick in the hole needs no,charts or pictures. I have looked at the wick,and drawn my own conclusions and ideas of increasing the capillary action of the juice from its supply source to where it meets the heating element. It is not important,about Te.p Control for me as I won't be using it. I will try wicking it again and .and sure it is not too tight or too loose depending on where it is. I will see what happens,s and report my success or fail.,,BTW I can't see .y screen so if,the typing if illegible,I apologize. I hope you get yours working well for,you so it lasts giving good results consistently cor,weeks,on a single,wick. That is what I am after.

• Creative

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
  • Love

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That is what I am after.

My question is a bit less assumptive and it is why would you respond in such a manner to someone who is trying to help you.

Good luck however, not going to give any "assumptive" advice, other than the above, because it seems as if it would be irrelevant to you.

Again, no offense intended either, but I have personally found I get great results from members offering to help and honestly, I had a recent situation where I began smoking again, and someone suggested upping my nic. LOL, I have given that suggestion ELEVENTLY million times, or so it seems.

I did not respond "Why are you assuming I need more nic?" I actually ASSESSED the situation, realized I had inadvertently given myself a nic DECREASE for several weeks, and upped my nic quite high in a few tanks. It was immensely helpful. Just giving an example, again no offense intended. But, you did seem in search of wicking aid. LOL.

Anna

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
OK, what ever you want. Have fun.
You completely missed the point of my post. It,seems,very important to you that things are presented,or stated in a very rigid way you find important to be followed. It,isn't. As,my last post tried to get across,this was light conversation about a,shared,hobby. Same thing when you corrected,some,statement you made about Temp Control vs wattage. I was fine the way it was.
If I,wanted,to do a serious debate I,would draw on my 8 years of debate team experience..and winning. It helped my flawless win ratio in various Law courts where to this day I have not lost a single hearing much less,a,case.

So the,casual and,attempt,to help one,another is what I,go to these,sites,for.
It,is,not,productive such as when,that member was being rude. I do,t recall the details,as,I,ignored the childish banger.
I certainly think the issue,with the Themis,is,the wicking. I am going,to attempt,to have a bit less,wick,on,the ends and try to keep it loose when installed. Hopefully this will help as the juice,causes,the wick,to swell it,won't,become,tighter,than intended based on the fit when it,was,dry. I am most concerned,that the manufa tired,has ignored me so far.
My question is a bit less assumptive and it is why would you respond in such a manner to someone who is trying to help you.

Good luck however, not going to give any "assumptive" advice, other than the above, because it seems as if it would be irrelevant to you.

Again, no offense intended either, but I have personally found I get great results from members offering to help and honestly, I had a recent situation where I began smoking again, and someone suggested upping my nic. LOL, I have given that suggestion ELEVENTLY million times, or so it seems.

I did not respond "Why are you assuming I need more nic?" I actually ASSESSED the situation, realized I had inadvertently given myself a nic DECREASE for several weeks, and upped my nic quite high in a few tanks. It was immensely helpful. Just giving an example, again no offense intended. But, you did seem in search of wicking aid. LOL.

Anna

Anna

Hi Anna,

Myk was actually incredibly rude. I asked in a very nice way for him to not continue saying I assumed one thing or another. His reply was to immediately do exactly that again. If someone says "please don't call me that" or whatever, I am quite sure you understand and then the person immediately responds by calling you exactly what you asked them not to then they are intentionally being rude, negative and immature. And several other things I won't mention right now.

He also thinks he has some special knowledge and to insinuate that I should take any advice (his I am sure) when he has done nothing but guess and is certainly not anyone who has solved the issue of the the Themis and to blindly follow what anyone has to say is probably what he does. I do not. I have a feeling that he is a child with the perspective of a child from every response. I would ask what he under graduate and post graduate degrees were in and what he may hold a doctorate degree in to show any substantial education in anything and I am quite sure the answer would be a big NO to all questions.
He may want to spend more time learning that thinking he is some sort of teacher as he is certainly not qualified to act the part.

It reminds me of some kids that were "salesmen" at a vape store near by. It was a place with a huge inventory. They spent the day showing each other their mods and tanks in the middle of a customer trying to be helped and filled up the place as if it were some magical skill to use a vape. It was horrible and I did not go there. These guys were there as salesman but were just so proud they could display then were so talented they could vape. Pretty sad when that is your greatest skill. I go to a place near my house and have been for years and we know a lot about each other and our personal hobbies like my racing cars and motorcycles and the hobbies they enjoy. We know vape information about each other too of course but it is more a friendship.

Anyway I need to leave but you seem like a nice person and I did not want to ignore you and if I did not answer now I expect it would get pushed back in to never o'clock and I did not want to let that happen. It is good to not smoke cigarettes. It took me 5 cigarettes to completely switch over to vaping never to smoke again. I began at 12mg and then went to 6 pretty quickly and then 3 which is where I have stayed. I don't really feel any nicotine though it is present. Certainly not that first cigarette of the day rush there used to be.
They have some foolish laws and have implemented some in San Francisco about flavored Ejuice that is not tobacco or menthol flavored. Suggesting it appeals to kids.

I hope that does not happen at the Federal level. Do please make sure that you buy and use only high quality juices that are certified to show they do not contain any of the nasty chemicals that can harm you (look up popcorn lung) and you will know a major chemical to ensure you never inhale. And that they others hold the credentials they should and claim to such as pharmaceutical grade nicotine and sourced from the USA. Flavorings that are free from the bad chemicals and approved by the proper organizations.

There is still a huge possibility for vaping to harm you using the wrong juice and having the maker provide you with MSDS sheets and certifications should be something that they are proud to produce for you. If they don't pass. I don't know if you are aware of them but one such place that purchases clean flavoring and then does their own independent testing to ensure they are not selling anything that could cause harm does their part to ensure the safety of their patrons and all others should do the same.

Stay safe and have a great weekend!
Tom

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Last edited:

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015

thomasterrible

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2018
I’ve heard that the new Geekvape Cerberus tank has awesome Mesh coils with great flavor. Suggested wattage is 30-80 watts. It’s mesh coils are also compatible with the Smok TFV8 Baby tank. Here’s a link in case anyone wants a look see.
https://www.heavengifts.com/product/GeekVape-Cerberus-Tank.html
I looked up that atomizer and the coils that fit it and at that site the cost was over $19 a pack.
I have looked at the lists and there certainly are many that work with the Big Baby Beast of which I currently have 6 of and like the Smok mesh and strip coils. I can find both for pretty reasonable prices. The question I would have is if anyone has done a comparison between the various mesh coil heads.
BTW I have purchased some of the light up LED Big Baby Beast coils just because they were dirt cheap. I did find that because there is a metal disc on the bottom of the tank it takes a great amount of effort to get a strip coil and at times a mesh coil to thread. I often screw the top of the coil head on to the top of the tank and they try to press hard as I attempt to thread it on to the bottom threads. It is just something that those who use the light up tanks should know about before purchasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread