New Member Recommendation for X Priv Batteries/Tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaronk2000

Jan 1, 2021
Hey Guys!

I've been getting back into vaping since getting sober. When I first stopped using, I was smoking a couple packs a day of rollies then I went to the juul, then the caliburn now I'm on the x-priv. I vaped a couple years ago on some sort of Smok Pen and then a Smok Tank but I bricked it and went back to cigs.

Now that I own a business and have a 9 to 5, I'm excited because money isn't too much of a limiting factor here. Here is what I am looking at in terms of tanks

I was looking at something for Nic Salts on the priv, since I have two bottles of juice I have to use up of Nic Salt. I saw some solid options, it looks like I have to just lower the wattage and swap the tank. Should I use certain batteries if I get a tank like this? Does anyone have any experience with this sort of tank and which one might be the best?

I also was looking at tanks to replace the one that came stock, but the guy at the smoke shop said it was a really good tank and it didn't really matter if I got a different one. I've always been weary about the info smoke shop workers give me, I've continually got contradicting info.

For batteries I have the AWT IMR 18650 3.7V 3500 MAH 35A High Drain. These were the ones he said were best at the smoke shop. I've been looking at getting some high end samsung options along with a battery recharger. What would be the best possible option? Do I need different batteries for different coils/Nic Salt vaping?

Sorry for the vomit of info/questions, I'm excited to get back into things!

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
There are no batteries designed for salt nic. Batteries have no care for what type of nicotine you are using. I don't know the batteries you have but if you want a good 18650 battery that really is 35amp, molicel P26A is the one to get, although with a regulated mod, it doesn't matter. If you are going to be building coils for a mech mod, you would want to get the highest amp battery you can find to allow for safety. And if you are using the USB port in your mod to charge the batteries, stop doing this and get a decent external charger. The USB port will charge the batteries but in most cases will charge unevenly and will eventually wear out the port as they are mainly there for software updates. I used Samsung 25r's exclusively for a couple years but these are 20amp. Still a great battery for regulated mods, I just went with the molicels because I wanted to upgrade. And as far a nic salt goes, there are no special tanks or coils made exclusively for nic salt either. Salts work well in pod types because of the lower power and higher resistance but you can vape salts in a sub ohm tank if you wish, just make sure the nicotine percentages are lower. Dont want to vape 30 or 50mg nicotine in a sub ohm setup with the higher wattage. I mean, you CAN but it will most likely be unpleasant at the very least. I knew a guy at work that was doing that, everybody's tolerance is different. I took a hit off of his vape one day at work and bout coughed up my spleen. Or was it my pancreas? No matter, all my innards are still intact but the point is, nic salts are generally used at higher levels and resistance at lower power levels. But there are no hard rules and for certain there are no batteries, tanks or coils specifically designed for nic salt use.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I agree with what @Coyote628 said. Those batteries should be fine (you will most likely be using lower watts anyway) You really do need an external charger! What is the nic strength of the juice you have? For example: 35 mg (or 3.5 %... same thing) That tank is for higher power "cloud chucking"... not good for lower wattage/higher nic strength. You really need a different tank (many choices) The Innokin Zenith and Zlide are good choices and have many coil options. Here's a video on what you have now:

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Hey Guys!

I've been getting back into vaping since getting sober. When I first stopped using, I was smoking a couple packs a day of rollies then I went to the juul, then the caliburn now I'm on the x-priv. I vaped a couple years ago on some sort of Smok Pen and then a Smok Tank but I bricked it and went back to cigs.

SMOK has effective marketing, but around here they're best known for their lack of quality control and customer service. I don't see a problem with using the x-priv as long as it works, but you might want to consider another brand when it dies.

I've always been weary about the info smoke shop workers give me, I've continually got contradicting info.

For batteries I have the AWT IMR 18650 3.7V 3500 MAH 35A High Drain. These were the ones he said were best at the smoke shop.

...and that's one of the things you're right to be wary of.

Several factors go into selecting the right battery. One is brand - stick to Samsung, Sony/Murata, LG, Sanyo/Panasonic or Molicel. Most of the rest are either rewraps or dodgy batteries from China. Rewraps mean that the seller buys batches of batteries from the big manufacturers that didn't meet spec and put their own wraps on them. The batteries can be OK, depending on which spec they didn't meet, but the big problem is that they can change their sourcing at any time and the sellers generally lie about the specs, so you never know what the battery you buy is capable of doing safely.

The spec that matters most is CDR, with mAh coming next. The batteries you have claim a 35A CDR and 3500 mAh, which is impossible with current technology.

So, here's a good way to get decent batteries:

1. Calculate the CDR you need. The formula is:
Maximum watts you vape at / number of batteries in your mod / 3

So, if you vaped at up to 45 watts on a two battery mod, you'd get:

45 / 2 / 3 = 7.5 A

You'd need a CDR of at least 7.5 amps.

2. Pick a battery model with a suitable CDR from Mooch's chart.

Mooch is our resident battery guru. He tests batteries and is very knowledgeable about the industry, so the easiest way to be sure you're getting a good battery is to choose one he's recommended. In general, you'll want to pick a battery with the highest possible mAh that has a sufficient CDR for your needs. Capacity, measured in mAh, is a rough measure of how long the battery will last between charges.

One note about capacity vs. CDR - if you're close to the CDR limits, it's usually better to pick a battery with a higher CDR even if its capacity is lower. For example, if you need 19 amps for your CDR and you have a choice between a 20 A, 3000 mAh battery and a 25 A, 2500 mAh battery, you'll likely get better performance out of the 25 A, 2500 mAh battery.

3. Buy your batteries from a reliable vendor.

Counterfeiting is also a big problem in the battery industry. Some vape shops don't know what they're doing while others are aware of the issue and put a lot of effort into getting the right batteries, but as smaller purchasers they're still at high risk of being taken in and winding up with counterfeits. It's therefore best if you can buy your batteries from one of the larger battery vendors that Mooch and others have identified as reliable. Even they aren't perfect, but they have more regular supply lines and may spot check their batteries to ensure they perform as expected.

Reliable vendors can be found on the blue row on Mooch's chart, or you can use the list here:
If you want to learn more about batteries, I recommend starting here:

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I personally went with liionwholesale on my battery order. Better prices than anything at a vape store and I know what I was getting was the real thing. There might be even better prices at some of the other places @Hawise mentioned but either way, vape stores jack the prices up on batteries and most of the time, their batteries are questionable as far as origin and specs are concerned. My local vape shop used to sell Samsung 25r's but they were like 11 bucks each. You can get the same battery from one of the places listed above for under 4 dollars. And as I said earlier, the 25r's are a good battery. I got the molicel P26A's for just under 4 bucks each as well. Didnt have to wait a month for my order either, liionwholesale has fairly prompt shipping. But for sure, stick with name brands from a reputable source and you'll be good to go. And also, yes on the external charger.

Javichu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
Hey Guys!

Now that I own a business and have a 9 to 5, I'm excited because money isn't too much of a limiting factor here. Here is what I am looking at in terms of tanks

I was looking at something for Nic Salts on the priv, since I have two bottles of juice I have to use up of Nic Salt. I saw some solid options, it looks like I have to just lower the wattage and swap the tank. Should I use certain batteries if I get a tank like this? Does anyone have any experience with this sort of tank and which one might be the best?

I also was looking at tanks to replace the one that came stock, but the guy at the smoke shop said it was a really good tank and it didn't really matter if I got a different one. I've always been weary about the info smoke shop workers give me, I've continually got contradicting info.

For batteries I have the AWT IMR 18650 3.7V 3500 MAH 35A High Drain. These were the ones he said were best at the smoke shop. I've been looking at getting some high end samsung options along with a battery recharger. What would be the best possible option? Do I need different batteries for different coils/Nic Salt vaping?

Sorry for the vomit of info/questions, I'm excited to get back into things!

Welcome to ECF.
Not a nic user or MTL vaper so i can't really be of much help.

As you should be, in my experience.

Feel the need to stand up for shop owners.
Maybe in the Us,Canada or Australia since distances from home to shop are so big it's just easier to order online.
And yes i have ordered online and yes it is easier but let us not forget the job that ''some'' shop owner do and keep doing.

The 2 shop owners i am friends with both have proved the honesty of their ways.
I have seen newbies walking in that wanted to quit and neither of them took advantage of them.

They could have sold them a hundred euros or more in gear but they didn't...

They took the time to ask them about their smoking cigarette habits and then recommend them they buy a starter kit,something like a Veco One or something of that style.
Easy to start with,just have to change coils and it's the easiest way to get into vaping.

None of these shop owners saw just a dollar sign when a new customer that wanted to quit walked thru the door.

These 2 shop owners and some others i have talked with have spent hours and hours of their time to recommend products to new vapers,not products they wanted to sell because they made more money but products that they felt that was going to work best for the first time vaper.

I have spent my fair amount of time at both vape shops (pre covid) and i have seen it first hard.

Just thought i would put in my 2 cents because i have noticed some negative bias against shop owners here in ECF.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
jaronk2000, all the info you are getting in this thread is good advice. You can't go wrong following Mooch's advice. He's the battery expert at ECF and several other battery and vaping web sites. You can trust his recommendations, just make sure that you understand the difference between MTL and DTL tanks and their battery needs.

MAH is a rating of capacity for lithium cells. High MAH cells are good for low wattage vaping up to 60W. High Amp cells are necessary for those who vape DTL at high power (cloud vapers). If you just want to switch from cigarettes to a vaping style that resembles and satisfies your prior smoking habit, you want high MAH cells and an under 60W vaping style.

I've been a MTL vaper since 2010 and 10W on a good MTL tank recreates my former smoking style. I get plenty of MTL vapor and great flavor at 10W. It's a great replacement for former smokers who just want vapor that resembles smoking and the nicotine that we received from smoking cigarettes. You can try different nicotine levels at 10 to 30 watts to see what works for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread