bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Howdy and welcome :)
I echo @Mordacai ‘s statement.
Miswicking is the most common cause of leakage in RTAs. There’s very little clearance between under wicking and overwicking with them. The wick has to be just long and thick enough to plug the juice hole when saturated with juice while being not so thick or overlong that it prevents wicking from taking place. That sweet spot can be pretty narrow for some RTAs.
If an RTA is leaking 9 times out of 10 the wick is too short or narrow to do that or has been put in wrong in some way.
To complicate matters further in your case iirc the prime also has something of a Forrest of o-rings. If one of those is damaged or miss set you could also have a problem there.

One of the common ways to get this right is to watch a build video on YouTube for your particular device and see how they wick it. I looked at kayfun prime build videos but found a shortage of them in English. Not super surprising as it’s a European atty. might be worth sitting through one or two anyway just to get a look at how they are wicking it. There are also more general build videos that may help too

Last edited:

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
Howdy and welcome :)
I echo @Mordacai ‘s statement.
Misswicking is the most common cause of leakage in RTAs. There’s very little clearance between under wicking and overwicking with them. The wick has to be just long and thick enough to plug the juice hole when saturated with juice while being not so thick or overlong that it prevents wicking from taking place. That sweet spot can be pretty narrow for some RTAs.
If an RTA is leaking 9 times out of 10 the wick is too short or narrow to do that or has been put in wrong in some way.
To complicate matters further in your case iirc the prime also has something of a Forrest of o-rings. If one of those is damaged or miss set you could also have a problem there.

One of the common ways to get this right is to watch a build video on YouTube for your particular device and see how they wick it. I looked at kayfun prime build videos but found a shortage of them in English. Not super surprising as it’s a European atty. might be worth sitting through one or two anyway just to get a look at how they are wicking it. There are also more general build videos that may help too
Who is "Miss Wicking", and why is she going around making RTA's leak?

Reactions: stols001

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
I’ve only seen one post about Kayfun primes leaking and none of the solutions from that post helped with my problem.
Is this the thread you are referring to?Kayfun Prime problem, please helpProbably not,because the members who posted there covered every possible scenario as to why a kayfun prime leaks and how to fix it.

Last edited:

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
maybe it was this misswicking
Or this..
th

• Useful
Reactions: the wind

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
I must be miswicking it because I checked all the o rings and one of them was torn so I replaced it and it didn’t help. I’ll have to do some trial and error, that is not the post I was talking about but I will give it a read. Thanks for the quick feed back it’s appreciated.
This thread explains everything.How to place the coil,how to wick it properly,etc.

Last edited:

the wind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2012
alabama
I must be miswicking it because I checked all the o rings and one of them was torn so I replaced it and it didn’t help. I’ll have to do some trial and error, that is not the post I was talking about but I will give it a read. Thanks for the quick feed back it’s appreciated.
post some pics if it still gives you a problem,also welcome to ECF.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Some trial and error is often required. YouTube videos can shorten that journey a bit though. I suggest googling “kayfun prime build” or somesuch. I didn’t find much in English when I did it, but the key factors will be how much wick is used, how long it is and how it is placed. If they’ve got pictures the dialogue may not matter so much.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.

Reactions: smacuser

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    My Prime will leak sometimes, as well as a few other of my attys.

I just turn it upside down and blow hard through the drip tip with a napkin covering the air slot. Sometimes it works, but eventually I'll get to it.

Welcome to ecf.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 3, 2013
    Biggest problem i ever had with wicking was cutting the Muji cotton too narrow. For ages i used to cut it about four or five mm's wide. This was never enough to cover both juice holes !.

Now, i'll take a Muji pad, strip off the compressed layers from both sides, and cut a strip about seven mm's wide.

I'll thread it into the coil and if it's tight i'll pull it back out. I'll slide my thumb and index finger along the length, gently !, a few times to remove a little more, then thread it again. If i'm happy with it i'll cut both ends so they are just a couple of mm's longer than the well is deep. I'll fluff them up a bit then place them inside the drum (Kayfun V4, not so different, drum wise), just let them hang down both sides. I'll take a closer look to see if i can see the juice holes, and if it's all good i'll prime the coil and re-assemble.

And as always. i'll probably have to adjust the juice control a little. Maybe if you open yours up a tiny bit it may help, just a tiny bit....... maybe !.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread