Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumonron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2009
Hello all,

I just wanted to review my newest acquisition, the one and the only Screwdriver from Trog. So.....Hmmm...you say....yeah yeah...we know the screwdriver...well, I thought I did too but this is the NEW Screwdriver! The folks over in SD land have made some changes in prices and in design and it's for the better. They took an already classic design and, without ruining what was already good, improved it in a way that puts it, imho, back on top of the heap.

I'm talking about the newly designed SD MK1 for the 510 Atty's available at http://cavecom.com/screwdriver ...and this thing rocks...also available for the mini and the classic attys!!

the shape - well thank goodness they didn't mess with the perfect ergonomics and it just rocks

the battery section is now sealed at the top and bottom and that is major.

the button: is now newly designed and extremely nice...hell, it just works without any misfires.

drip-friendly: so THE ecig device just got drip friendly!!

flavor: is just right...imho, 3.7 volts is and always will be the sweet spot-nice, safe and very flavorful with never ever a burnt offering.

Stylin' colors: Personally I love the copper/gold or the black...very nice-but hey, that's a personal pref.

All in one kits: Now, over in SD land they now have coming very soon an entire kit for 69.99lbs!!...everything you'd need.

Flexibility: You can get just the body only for 39.95lbs!!
http://www.cavecom.com/screwdriver/shop/shopindex.htm

Quality and customer service: The most important thing for me, though is the quality of the SD MK1 and the customer service from these folks...they are very quick to respond to emails and concerns. Check 'em out!!

http://cavecom.com/screwdriver

vape ON!!

Long live the Screwdriver!!

PS: please be forgiving, it's my first PV review.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

boxhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2009
Chico, california
waiting for my bogo`s. i have two, (one was stolen) and wanted the new mech. button.
i drop things and went thru a few radio shack buttons.
so how do you like the button? is it like opening a door at the same time someone on the other side opening the same door? i make a lot of presses cause i have a nerve problem that i really go by an action rather than a feeling.
SD is a great a thing, and never put it down in a public place hehehe

Drumonron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2009
waiting for my bogo`s. i have two, (one was stolen) and wanted the new mech. button.
i drop things and went thru a few radio shack buttons.
so how do you like the button? is it like opening a door at the same time someone on the other side opening the same door? i make a lot of presses cause i have a nerve problem that i really go by an action rather than a feeling.
SD is a great a thing, and never put it down in a public place hehehe

The button is as simple as it gets and easy to replace...but you'd only have to replace it if the spring gets lost somehow or it becomes unscrewed. It's a nice easy and short throw...these SD MK1s are like little tanks but elegant and can't say enough about the style points. I'm very happy with the 510 SD..I've owned an SD since I quit analogs and IT has never quit on me.

VAPE ON!!

:rolleyes:

Drumonron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2009
At the bottom of the screwdriver is the switch that has a nice unsealed space(I know in my review I may have inferred that the switch is sealed but it's not, there is an O-ring at the bottom to help keep the battery in the proper place) that I'm sure would be ample space for such ventilation to occur. So, at the bottom there is a screw that goes through a hole in the body and the shaft of the screw goes through a nice ample hole that would act as a vent.

This SD was well thought out to begin with but it's a very good question to direct to Trog @ - The ScrewDriver - An electronic cigarette that simply works .

Also note that, in the SD MKi, if the atty should short, I believe the SD top battery spring will open the circuit .

To see what I'm talking about at the bottom and the O-ring see prof beard's linked review. In it, he has a pretty good photo of the bottom at which I was referring to. When you push on the button you are creating a hole and thus creating ventilation and in addition to this on the outside of the bottom, at the place that the buttons shaft/screw comes out and on the SD body itself is a bored out circle designed in such a way so when the black button is pressed it still allows ample ventilation.

See...not bad for one of the oldest Mods available, eh?

If you are new to Ecigs or PVs and you're looking for a long term cost effective starter kit...I would suggest that you look into a SD(especially now-free SD for 1st 50 who buy a starter kit). The cost at this time is very low and over the long run, you'll be saving tons. I have switched from the joye 510s to the SD Mod and it really does at up...plus you will tire of recharging those smaller batteries every hour or so(if you're a heavy vaper like me) and then after about a month or two you'll need to buy new batteries. The screwdriver will last a day and so much less bother. This was my experience and please take it for what it's worth.

Wish you all the best.

Vape On!!

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated in any way with the Screwdriver website...I just feel an obligation to pass along to those who seek it, knowledge.

Last edited:

Jumi

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2010
Athens, Greece
SD looks like a very trusty ecig. I am worried for just two things.

First, does it have ventilation holes (no, will not keep the button pressed if something go wrong just to let gases out!)? And second, if there is a short circuit, I understand that the top spring will melt and open circuit so it will stop (great feature). But then SD have to be sent for service? I would like whatever breaks to protect me to be user replaceable.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that SD is one of the best mods available and everyone should have one. I just care much about security and lack of venting holes stopped my to get a SD (or three).

Drumonron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2009
some of the gases would vent around the switch.. but, with the SD, they concentrate on making sure batteries dont vent in the first place.. the SD has a battery short circuit protection fail safe built into the device.. you see during tests, the manufacterer has tried to make batteries vent when in the device but could not do it.. the circuit breaks and the battery is undamaged.

I have heard there are 4000 or so SDs out there in the world.. millions of average real world user test hours under the SD belt.. no reports of batteries ever venting. That's a pretty good track record and test segment.

Hope this helps calm the oceans of concerns.

Jumi

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2010
Athens, Greece
My only concern is if the battery vent for a chemical reason that a circuit cannot stop, e.g. after a drop or something like that. A not vented container could act like a shell of a bomb (and the battery vent will pass unnoticed if it isn't used at the time until it explodes). A vented mod - with about to explode battery - with smokes and sounds doesn't pass unnoticed.

The only two cases of ecig battery explosions I have read was one with a ventilated mod and another with a non ventilated one. In the first none got hurt, in the second the user got hurt.

I know that it is one in a million and I may just exaggerate (and probably get a SD anyway) but it is a - simple to make - safety feature that I would like to see on SD.

nicadd

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2010
Germany
And second, if there is a short circuit, I understand that the top spring will melt and open circuit so it will stop (great feature). But then SD have to be sent for service? I would like whatever breaks to protect me to be user replaceable.

An overheated high-performance atty went bad on me and the SD spring immediately contracted into the top. Trog told me to gently pull the spring back into place, and that's all that was needed to get things working perfectly again. As Drumonron said, some of the gases would vent around the switch, which has some "wiggle" when not pressed.

I just broke down and picked up my Gold/copper one .... hopefully for the free body, I'll get the black....woot!

I got two of the new MKIs with the Classic fitting during the BOGOF sale (silver and black), but the copper wasn't offered with the Pen fitting. When I saw that they had them in the new Starter Kit, I gave into temptation, too. Got it and a free black body in the mail yesterday.

The button placement is great, IMO, because you can push it with your pinky, index finger, palm, or whatever. I was afraid it'd accidentally get depressed in my handbag or pocket because it doesn't have the cap like the MKII, but it's enough to just partially unscrew the atty, as an SD veteran on another forum advised.

Jumi

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2010
Athens, Greece
An overheated high-performance atty went bad on me and the SD spring immediately contracted into the top. Trog told me to gently pull the spring back into place, and that's all that was needed to get things working perfectly again. As Drumonron said, some of the gases would vent around the switch, which has some "wiggle" when not pressed.
This is great to hear, thank you nicadd!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread