New Mod .... About to Charge Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Everything depends. First, it's very important to use only a quality battery charger. The brands we usually recommend are xtar, Nitecore and the Efest LUC line. There are a number of others that are just as good and often have extra features, so if yours isn't one of those let us know what it is and we'll tell you what we know about it.

If your charger uses a USB, you may be able to use it with your phone adapter (technically, it's an adapter, not a charger, but I admit it's usually called a charger) but it will depend on the output of the phone adapter. Do you have an amp or watt rating for it? It may or may not be powerful enough for the charger, depending on how what the charger needs.

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018
Everything depends. First, it's very important to use only a quality battery charger. The brands we usually recommend are xtar, Nitecore and the Efest LUC line. There are a number of others that are just as good and often have extra features, so if yours isn't one of those let us know what it is and we'll tell you what we know about it.

If your charger uses a USB, you may be able to use it with your phone adapter (technically, it's an adapter, not a charger, but I admit it's usually called a charger) but it will depend on the output of the phone adapter. Do you have an amp or watt rating for it? It may or may not be powerful enough for the charger, depending on how what the charger needs.

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018
It says in the manual i can ise any 5v adapter. And my ipad charger is 5.1v

Attachments

• 862E99C2-3875-48F8-80DB-E5F3315784A3.png
    862E99C2-3875-48F8-80DB-E5F3315784A3.png
    549.5 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: stols001

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
Please someone, anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but if a device can take power from USB, it should be able to handle up to 5.25 volts.

I believe the USB spec allows for 4.75 - 5.25 volts. That may only apply to USB 1.1 and 2 - I don't know for sure.

I don't want to fry your kit, but I think 5.1 volts should be ok.

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018
Please someone, anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but if a device can take power from USB, it should be able to handle up to 5.25 volts.

I believe the USB spec allows for 4.75 - 5.25 volts. That may only apply to USB 1.1 and 2 - I don't know for sure.

The ipad adapter says its input is 120-240v and the outout is 5.1 as seen in the picture. The manual for the charger said can be used with a 5v adapter. This makes sense that that would be ok no?

Attachments

• FA57D539-6AD6-494F-BD36-7034BFA61988.png
    FA57D539-6AD6-494F-BD36-7034BFA61988.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 11

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

The spec for USB 2 calls for a +0.25/-0.60 tolerance, but not every device is made to spec. If your USB power source is on the low side, the peripheral you plug into it may not receive the needed power.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I agree with those who've said that the 5.0/5.1 v issue shouldn't be a problem (shouldn't = could be, but extremely unlikely). Another potential issue is the power provided by the adapter. Some are as low as 500 mA, which might not be enough for some chargers, but an iPod adapter is likely to be at the higher end so you'll probably get a decent charging rate for two batteries.

My concern is the charger itself. Bad chargers can do a lot of damage (and cause really exciting explosions) by overcharging batteries. I'm not familiar with the brand so I can't speak to its reliability. I'd really recommend sticking with a better-known brand of charger.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Ok found it. Yeah it seems you HAVE to plug it in to USB. There are no other options. This means it will likely be quite slow but it should (cross your fingers) work

I wouldn’t use it on my batteries personally. For just a few more dollars you can get a name brand with a wall plug

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Can’t speak for the charger, never used one.

@JJ Hair – it is common for these devices to get warm when in use, even the batteries. However, should they get hot, that would be a clear indication you are stressing it to or beyond it’s limits. With your first few charges, keep a close eye on your charger, batteries and your Apple adaptor. If they get hot, stop charging and perhaps look at a different charger.

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018
Ok found it. Yeah it seems you HAVE to plug it in to USB. There are no other options. This means it will likely be quite slow but it should (cross your fingers) work

I wouldn’t use it on my batteries personally. For just a few more dollars you can get a name brand with a wall plug
Can it do extensive damage off one charge? They are charging right now im keeping an eye on them. I can order another charger and teturn this one later

Reactions: stols001

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018
Everything depends. First, it's very important to use only a quality battery charger. The brands we usually recommend are Xtar, Nitecore and the Efest LUC line. There are a number of others that are just as good and often have extra features, so if yours isn't one of those let us know what it is and we'll tell you what we know about it.

Based on your recomandatiin i just ordered a efest luc charger that comes with its own adapter. My question now is am i going to damage the batteries if i use this charger for a couple of days ? I am not going to charge for longer than a couole of hours at a time. under my supervision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread