New Mod .... About to Charge Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Based on your recomandatiin i just ordered a efest luc charger that comes with its own adapter. My question now is am i going to damage the batteries if i use this charger for a couple of days ? I am not going to charge for longer than a couole of hours at a time. under my supervision.

As long as your batteries stay warm or cooler then you are not damaging them. When they get hot, be concerned and unplug the charger.

Reactions: stols001

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018
As long as your batteries stay warm or cooler then you are not damaging them. When they get hot, be concerned and unplug the charger.
Thank you for your patience. They are almost charged. the plug is warm but i can touch it. The charger hasnt changed temp nor the battery. I just ordered a efest LUC with a wall plug. I will use this in the meantime under a close eye. Your support over the last two days is appreciated.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Since we are on the topic of chargers just want to throw some caution into the wind.

It is possible for the negative plate on these chargers to retract very quickly catching you off guard and perhaps tearing your battery wrap. It has happened to me and I am sure it has happened to many others as well. If your battery wrap is torn even the slightest, DO NOT USE IT! I cannot stress that enough. You will become familiar with your charger and know the tenssion of it springs, but accidents do happen so thought I'd warn about the battery wrap.

Batteries can be rewrapped, it is not difficult but does require a hair dryer or heat gun. Battery wraps are extremely inexpensive and come in all kinds of colours and graphics. If you do not have a hair dryer, you can have a local vape shop rewrap them for you. Just do not ever use a battery with a torn or worn wrap.

Also – at some point of time you will probably want to purchase spare batteries. They do not have to the same make and model you are currently using, but given you are familiar with them it doesn’t hurt either. As you already know just make sure they are authentic. Batteries pairs should be married meaning they are used together and charged together for the entire life of the battery. Do not mix married pairs (one always gets jealous…LOL!!), and always marry the same brand/model battery. If you ever get a single battery mod, you can split (divorce) a married pair but they can not ever be married again. So in other words you would have 2 bachelors. Hope this makes sense.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Since we are on the topic of chargers just want to throw some caution into the wind.

It is possible for the negative plate on these chargers to retract very quickly catching you off guard and perhaps tearing your battery wrap. It has happened to me and I am sure it has happened to many others as well. If your battery wrap is torn even the slightest, DO NOT USE IT! I cannot stress that enough. You will become familiar with your charger and know the tenssion of it springs, but accidents do happen so thought I'd warn about the battery wrap.

Batteries can be rewrapped, it is not difficult but does require a hair dryer or heat gun. Battery wraps are extremely inexpensive and come in all kinds of colours and graphics. If you do not have a hair dryer, you can have a local vape shop rewrap them for you. Just do not ever use a battery with a torn or worn wrap
Or a gas stove burner though that is a bit touchy

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018

Batteries can be rewrapped, it is not difficult but does require a hair dryer or heat gun. Battery wraps are extremely inexpensive and come in all kinds of colours and graphics. If you do not have a hair dryer, you can have a local vape shop rewrap them for you. Just do not ever use a battery with a torn or worn wrap.

Also – at some point of time you will probably want to purchase spare batteries. They do not have to the same make and model you are currently using, but given you are familiar with them it doesn’t hurt either. As you already know just make sure they are authentic. Batteries pairs should be married meaning they are used together and charged together for the entire life of the battery. Do not mix married pairs (one always gets jealous…LOL!!), and always marry the same brand/model battery. If you ever get a single battery mod, you can split (divorce) a married pair but they can not ever be married again. So in other words you would have 2 bachelors. Hope this makes sense.

I trust what you are telling me. It is putting my mind at ease. Bombasintor however is making me fearful with the explosion talk. I have read up, watches videos and consulted you fine people trying to be as informed as i can be. The majority of the vapers i know dont know what im talking about when i mention what ive learned over the last week or so. They all chargethrough the device usb, never have instepected the batteries and all bought batteries from whatever store they bought there device. I feel that i have done some good research here and will continure to educate myself. Thanks again

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Or a gas stove burner though that is a bit touchy

I’d do it but it’s difficult for me to recommended that to a new user.

Just to add….no harm using a sharpie to mark your batteries so you know which pairs are married. I give mine names, Whitney and Bobby, Kim and Kayne, Brad and Angelina. My 3 battery mod’s batteries are named Donald, Melania and Stormy.

Reactions: JJ Hair

JJ Hair

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2018
0DEBA4A9-F1EE-46F1-9D33-DBA494F9B79D.jpeg
She’s a beauty! I cant wait to hit it any minute now !!!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

Just to add….no harm using a sharpie to mark your batteries so you know which pairs are married. I give mine names, Whitney and Bobby, Kim and Kayne, Brad and Angelina. My 3 battery mod’s batteries are named Donald, Melania and Stormy.
I find sharpie wears off quickly

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Based on your recomandatiin i just ordered a efest luc charger that comes with its own adapter. My question now is am i going to damage the batteries if i use this charger for a couple of days ? I am not going to charge for longer than a couole of hours at a time. under my supervision.

I think you'd avoid most of the risk as long as you make sure they don't get hot (warming up a bit is OK, hot isn't) and you don't let them charge to full. The batteries we use are supposed to be at 4.2 v when fully charged, and the big risk with an unknown charger is that it might go past 4.2 v. That would be a very bad thing indeed.

What make is your mod? I think I might go with in-mod charging if it's just a temporary thing. Or I might not if it charged at 2 amps.

Good call on the Efest. Their batteries are rewraps, but their LUC chargers are pretty solid.

@Punk In Drublic's advice on the battery wraps is spot on. It's a good idea to check your wraps whenever you're putting them into the mod. It's true that you'll get used to your charger's spring tension, but if you're anything like me that won't always keep you safe - I tore a wrap that way yesterday. Good thing I've got plenty of wraps on hand.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I find sharpie wears off quickly

Ya the sharpie on my LG batteries wore off fairly quick. Not so much for the Samsung’s. Just keep marking them. I also keep a running spread sheet with date I purchased and where. Just a thing I do…keeps me entertained

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes

Not old enough for Curly, Larry, and Moe?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Uh I don't think Stormy was married at least to the gentleman in question, here. You can't be having polygamy in the US, at least not except in that special church of whatever it's called, and your Batteries are going to be named, like Jebediah, Flora, and Eustace.

Anna

LOL… @stols001 – I actually do not name my batteries. And if I did, just think of the names I used above. Bobby is an abuser, Whitney is dead and Brad and Angelina are separated…not so fitting to be compared to married batteries. It was late, had a couple drinks and was just trying to be silly. :D

• Love

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA

LUC 4 is an intelligent charger that monitors output and battery state. It will charge the cells to 4.2v and shut off. It's a safe and reliable charger that rates highly among lithium chargers. LUC 2 is a the two bay version, same specs. Both will do 1A across all bays at once.

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales

You are not using an iPad charger. You are using the wall adapter (wall wart) for an apple usb cable. Yes... it'll work. No need to worry.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Uh I don't think Stormy was married at least to the gentleman in question, here. You can't be having polygamy in the US, at least not except in that special church of whatever it's called, and your Batteries are going to be named, like Jebediah, Flora, and Eustace.

Anna

So is Donald, Ivana, Marla, and Melania OK for a 4 battery mod?

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I'm not answering that question and I refuse to entertain it. I think a funner but more implausible set would be Barak, Michelle, Donald and Melania, and you'd have to find a way to shove Hillary into the mod, because she's an eternal "hanger on" plus....

I just answered the question. @Eskie , I think your answer is downright wholesome compared to mine, but I thought we were all about party lines and crossing them not so much about taste lines which I seem to have ZERO respect for today. I think I am trying to "get it all out" prior to needing to be all socially acceptable by Monday. Consider yourselves warned and also, I apologize. A BUNCH.

Anna

Reactions: Eskie

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    I trust what you are telling me. It is putting my mind at ease. Bombasintor however is making me fearful with the explosion talk. I have read up, watches videos and consulted you fine people trying to be as informed as i can be. The majority of the vapers i know dont know what im talking about when i mention what ive learned over the last week or so. They all chargethrough the device usb, never have instepected the batteries and all bought batteries from whatever store they bought there device. I feel that i have done some good research here and will continure to educate myself. Thanks again
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    I have provided a little more information which might help choosing/evaluating batteries.
    Might like to read:
    Guide to Choosing a Battery Charger | E-Cigarette Forum
    Flashlight information
    Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum
    http://www.wakeandvape.com/blog/18650-battery-buying-guide-for-vapor-users/
    Index | E-Cigarette Forum
    Best 18650 Battery Explanation!
    Vape Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? | Mt Baker Vapor
    A Guide to Safe Charging - The Complete Guide to E-Cig Safety
    Vaping 101: Battery Safety
    7 Best Practices to Keep Your Charge

Status