Status
Not open for further replies.

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Hiya,

So the last month I was using my zlide tank on the Pico 75 watts and I enjoyed it much. Today I received my Drag Mini and am vaping with the same atomizer and in the same wattage range, but the flavor seems much better, I mean really a big difference.

Can a mod have such influence on the taste?

Thanks,
Sjoerd

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hiya,

So the last month I was using my zlide tank on the Pico 75 watts and I enjoyed it much. Today I received my Drag Mini and am vaping with the same atomizer and in the same wattage range, but the flavor seems much better, I mean really a big difference.

Can a mod have such influence on the taste?

Thanks,
Sjoerd
What may be happening is it’s either placebo effect, the effect of a change in the atty (like a new cartridge) or possibly your old mod wasn’t supplying as much power as it says it was, and now you’ve got the actual or closer to the actual power level you intended.

But no. IF you origional mod was outputting the same amount of power there should be no difference at all.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
What may be happening is it’s either placebo effect, the effect of a change in the atty (like a new cartridge) or possibly your old mod wasn’t supplying as much power as it says it was, and now you’ve got the actual or closer to the actual power level you intended.

But no. IF you origional mod was outputting the same amount of power there should be no difference at all.

It has been said that voopoo likes to overpower their chips. So if it is set at 50w it could actually be putting out something like 55w. They do this to give the impression that their mods "hit harder" than others. Even though "hitting harder" is actually more of mech thing describing voltage drop and not really relevant to regulated mods since 50w should be 50w no matter which regulated device you use.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The Rattlesnake Effect - Why the Cheapo VV Don't Vape the Same as a Provari or DNA

Several years ago there were quite intense debates on ECF about whether higher quality and more expensive chip sets could provide a "smoother" vaping experience, or a better vaping experience.

I was of the opinion that yes they could. I had a Provari and I swear it vaped smoother than the cheaper mods that used a cheaper board. I now use an Evolv DNA chipset mod, and I swear it vapes smoother than many of my other regulated mods. Is there science behind this perception? I imagine most people will say no, but my perception tells me yes.

Some of the Chinese mod manufacturers may be using cheaper, less sophisticated regulating chips and no filters in order to decrease production and sale costs, which use "mean" and not "RMS" regulation. Some of these may not be capable of regulating power down (buck technology; they can be widely inaccurate, especially at lower voltages). They can't output voltages between 3v and 4.2 volts even though their display say they can and are. Therefore, they may appear to be vaping "hot" or harsh at lower wattage settings. The below graphic explains why:

upload_2015-7-6_10-46-36-png.469194

Today we have high wattage regulated mods that claim they can output 230 watts with two 30 amp batteries, but we all know the limitation of current battery technology says no dual battery mod can put out more than 180 watts, or 90 watts per battery. Yet the mod's display will tell you its putting out 230 watts. So where are those extra 50 watts coming from? Conventional wisdom will tell you its not possible and is just marketing hype.

Last edited:

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland

thanks for your answer. But isnt it the case that some mods fire up quicker than others? Because thats the feeling I am having with this Drag mini, that it just fires up much quicker than the pico and therefor provides better flavor.

• Agree
Reactions: AngeNZ

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
thanks for your answer. But isnt it the case that some mods fire up quicker than others? Because thats the feeling I am having with this Drag mini, that it just fires up much quicker than the pico and therefor provides better flavor.
I agree that some mods have a shorter ramp up time, but I'm not really following how that can affect flavor. Maybe someone else can explain that for you.

Reactions: Opinionated

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yes but it’s a question of microseconds. If it’s more than that it’s likely the wattage is lower so it’s taking longer to get to temperature. Temperature is also likely going higher too.

Reactions: SP013

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
According to DJLSb the Pico has a delay of 240ms and the Drag Mini of 30ms.
Depending on the actual wattage and coil used as well as the pufftime, that may have quite an impact on flavor for sure.
Most of all if you vape at the lower end of the recommended wattage and take only compareably short puffs.

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
According to DJLSb the Pico has a delay of 240ms and the Drag Mini of 30ms.
Depending on the actual wattage and coil used as well as the pufftime, that may have quite an impact on flavor for sure.
Most of all if you vape at the lower end of the recommended wattage and take only compareably short puffs.
I vape around the 10-14 watt range, so I guess it can have a big impact then on lower wattage settings. My taste buds don't lie...

Vapedog

Oct 28, 2018
So just for the last time vaped the same tank same settings on both mods and maybe taste wise it is so different, but the vape experience on the drag mini is for sure better, it just seems to be instantly at temperature while the pico needs a second to get to that point.
Yes, I have mods that instantly have the coil firing, and some that seem to ramp up like you say. And yes the one that instantly, zero perception of any build up even though we are talking split seconds or whatever, does taste better than the others. Is it firing actually higher than the reading says? Well I tried the same tank on another mod and increased the wattage to try to replicate the same vape experience. It just couldn't do it no matter what power level I chose. What exactly is going on I dont know. All I know is that there is a fair bit of difference between those that hit instantly with the chosen wattage to those that build up. You're not imagining it.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
There are a few factors here. A Variable Wattage device reads the resistance of your coil, and with that value along with your prescribed wattage it will calculate and assign a specific voltage. This can vary from device to device so that despite it may say 50 watts on the screen, it may actually be only 45 or even higher 55 (as examples). Only way to tell is to connect each device to a scope and take measurements.

There is also the quality of the DC single that is being outputted. A clean DC signal will look like a flat line on a scope, a poor one will display spikes, and look wavy. If the single is too poor, this can actually be detected and be perceived as the device pulsing the power.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
It's plasebo as the ramp- up time does nothing for flavor. Just enjoy it while it lasts :)

Not entirely true. There is delay time which is latency – the time you press the fire button to the time that power is applied to a coil. Ramp up is how quickly a coil reaches your preferred temperature. This could be due to the mass of the coil or due to how the device applies its power (low at the start and gradually work up as an example). Or it could be both. There can be perceived benefits to ramp up time.

Vapedog

Oct 28, 2018
I also dont think it has to do with the fact that the wattage level is different, its just the ramp up time that is faster.
Yeah, I'm with you there. This is just a possibility that I put out there. That instant power to the coils mesh in my case, vapourizes the juice on the mesh contact area more efficiently and effectively than those that ramp up. So the juice on contact with the mesh on the slower ones gets vapourized less efficiently resulting in a bit of flavor loss where that juice gets heated but not vapourized as quickly loosing efficiency.
There is no ifs though that mods that deliver it instantly, those that you hear the coil go sss with each power button press in a shutdown, so your hearing sss sss sss ssss, vs those others deliver a better vape. If you have one of each you'll know what we are on about. And no, its not wattage level as I have tried numerous times to replicate it on slower firing mods and they don't come close. Get a Smoant and see. Damn theyre fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread