New mod required for my Serpent RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
To make recommendations more useful, you should tell us what features you are most interested in. What form factor (tube or box) do you prefer? Internal or external batteries? Single, dual, or triple battery mod? How important is the size of the battery(s) used (18650, or the larger batteries)? How much wattage do you really need? Do you use Temp Control mode exclusively or just Wattage mode?

What did you like or not like about the Alien mods?

To make recommendations more useful, you should tell us what features you are most interested in. What form factor (tube or box) do you prefer? Internal or external batteries? Single, dual, or triple battery mod? How important is the size of the battery(s) used (18650, or the larger batteries)? How much wattage do you really need? Do you use Temp Control mode exclusively or just Wattage mode?

What did you like or not like about the Alien mods?

The Alien is fine. I like to use watt control with premade coils. I like the dual 18650 battery. Was just wondering if there were other mods out there better for rta tanks. I generally fire at 22.5w. I tried my vaporesso revenger mod but doesn’t give me such a good smoke. I don’t quite understand that myself as far as I understand the mod is a power source that you can vary on.

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The Alien is fine. I like to use watt control with premade coils. I like the dual 18650 battery. Was just wondering if there were other mods out there better for rta tanks. I generally fire at 22.5w. I tried my vaporesso revenger mod but doesn’t give me such a good smoke. I don’t quite understand that myself as far as I understand the mod is a power source that you can vary on.
I can't explain why the Revenger didn't give you a good vape. As you said, the mod is basically a power source. Some circuit boards differ in how they deliver that power source.

I'm not personally a fan of SMOK products. IMHO, they are not very consistant due to quality control issues. Some people get a good one while others will get a bad one. Sounds like your Alien was a good one.

If price isn't an issue, I recommend a mod with a DNA board or chip. These circuit boards are the top of the line with better battery efficiency, better onboard USB charging, better temp control (for those who use it), better output accuracy, lower voltage cutoff, and the ability to use eScribe to make personal settings from your computer. I also will argue that a DNA mod will give your a "smoother vape". But, you will pay a little more for those benefits.

Last edited:
I can't explain why the Revenger didn't give you a good vape. As you said, the mod is basically a power source.

I'm not personally a fan of SMOK products. IMHO, they are not very consistant with quality control issues. Some people get a good one while others will get a bad one.

If price isn't an issue, I recommend a mod with a DNA board or chip. These circuit boards are the top of the line with better battery efficiency, better onboard USB charging, better temp control (for those who use it), more output accuracy, lower voltage cutoff, and the ability to use eScribe to make personal settings from your computer. But, you will pay a little more for those benefits.

The Alien was my first buy. Thanks for the info. Appreciated

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Mods are not the most accurate devices – there will always be some sort of variance. So if you were adjusting your Revenger in reference to what was set on the Alien, the 2 devices could be outputting at different levels. Adjust the Revenger according to performance.

As for new recommendations…Most mods should be able to handle a Serpent SMM RTA if your preferred wattage is ~22 watts. Pick a couple based on size, battery, aesthetics, price etc…check out the Youtube reviews of your choices. Even if you think the reviewer is a complete spaz, they can provide a virtual window into how the mod performs and functions. And of course ask ECF of their opinions for Youtube reviewers don’t really go into like longevity.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I am a little surprised at how a Revenger couldn't surpass a Smok, but sometimes the first thing we try ends up feeling "normal."

DNA devices are very pricy and very useful for TC among other things, but they are also likely to perform differently than a smok mod.

I honestly might (unless your really want and are excited to do TC in which case proceed) to maybe look at some mid range mods and see if there's anything that looks exciting there before jumping directly to a DNA device, Teslacigs has a nice power board and decent TC, the innoken Proton is just fantastic, as are most things innoken and for lower budget I tend to favor (some) Eleaf setups. The Geekvape Legend is a great performer too and it's waterproof, shockproof etc., and is pretty much indestructible I really like mine and it won't break the bank either.

It may be worth exploring some non DNA setups to avoid breaking the bank and to find out what you preferences are although I certainly would NEVER dissuade you from getting one really, I mean they are the best performing mods out there at the moment.

Best of luck deciding.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: ShamrockPat

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
˄ According to DJLsb Vapes, the Smok Alien fires at a higher rate than advertised, the Vaporesso Revenger fires at a lower rate than advertised. How much of a difference at 22 watts with what ever resistance coil?? No idea – but does show the variances between mods and what is read on the screen. Not a big deal in my opinion, I have yet to see a mod tested by DJLsb that was dead on accurate across it’s entire power and restive range.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
I am a little surprised at how a Revenger couldn't surpass a Smok, but sometimes the first thing we try ends up feeling "normal."

DNA devices are very pricy and very useful for TC among other things, but they are also likely to perform differently than a smok mod.

I honestly might (unless your really want and are excited to do TC in which case proceed) to maybe look at some mid range mods and see if there's anything that looks exciting there before jumping directly to a DNA device, Teslacigs has a nice power board and decent TC, the innoken Proton is just fantastic, as are most things innoken and for lower budget I tend to favor (some) Eleaf setups. The Geekvape Legend is a great performer too and it's waterproof, shockproof etc., and is pretty much indestructible I really like mine and it won't break the bank either.

It may be worth exploring some non DNA setups to avoid breaking the bank and to find out what you preferences are although I certainly would NEVER dissuade you from getting one really, I mean they are the best performing mods out there at the moment.

Best of luck deciding.

Anna

Just because Smok products have had some quality control issues doesn't mean that a properly functioning Smok product is automatically inferior.
My first gen Alien never had any issues whatsoever and fired like a beast.
My second gen Alien was also beast until it began experiencing the issues that many others did.

Smok quality control has gone downhill because of their rush to put out as many products as fast as possible, and because they put out so many as fast as possible they cease supporting mods before they should.
I think it has become mainstay to simply say they're junk across the board.

Everyone completely trashes some batteries because re-wrappers over state the batteries capabilities.
It doesn't mean the battery doesn't mean the battery doesn't perform quite well, when used within its real capabilities.
I still use many EFest batteries, but I use them within the capabilities I KNOW they have not what is purported. I still have and use some Smok products that work great.

It can be smarter to steer newbies away from brands that have learning curves and such, but I think we can get a little overly ambitious with our finger pointing.

Just my 25 cents........

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread