New Njoy film short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Up until about six months ago, they most certainly were.

They got lumped in with BT because they were sending their lawyers all over the country to argue in favor of bans on all open-system vapor products, just like BT does. When you act like BT, and pursue the same goals as BT using the same strategies as BT, you get lumped in with BT. The fact that they've now chosen to do a complete 180, while a welcome surprise, does not absolve them of criticism for their prior actions, which were deplorable.

Really? Can you post legitimate links to this?

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
I see. There are no primary sources...
I have no sources either but not because they don't exist. I'm just too lazy to find them. :D

But the gist is true. NJOY was indeed lumped in with BT whether they wanted that association or not. Bringing the FDA to their knees single-handedly in 2010 gave them many seats at many tables. And at those tables they provided plenty of political lip service in an effort to appease those with power and provide vaping legitimacy to them and them alone.

Now all that has seemed to change and I for one am glad to ride their coat tails.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013

So they welcome regulations. Not sure how that equates to they want all e-cigs and tanks except theirs banned, but hyperbole most often supersedes fact...

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
So they welcome regulations. Not sure how that equates to they want all e-cigs and tanks except theirs banned, but hyperbole most often supersedes fact...

Just posting the links that could have been interpreted (and was so interpreted, by some, not me so much...) as NJoy not totally being 'on our side' at one point in time. Currently, I don't think that is the case. I take it from your quick response, you didn't read the Pinney comments to the FDA or the NJoy one either. That's ok with me, just noting it.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Just posting the links that could have been interpreted (and was so interpreted, by some, not me so much...) as NJoy not totally being 'on our side' at one point in time. Currently, I don't think that is the case. I take it from your quick response, you didn't read the Pinney comments to the FDA or the NJoy one either. That's ok with me, just noting it.

I didn't see anything in the links provided about NJOY being against re-fillables... They welcome some form of regulation...

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
I didn't see anything in the links provided about NJOY being against re-fillables... They welcome some form of regulation...

Njoy came from their NJOY PRO into the NJOY KING. That was their big intro back into the ecig market. They priced themselves out of the market with a fantastic "2 pack" device that lasted 2 hours @$6.00 ea. They were great, as an intro, but who is going to pay that?

My concern is and will always be, coming from big tobacco, what is in the device/liquid? I love the Njoy Kings! I won't pay their price for them. More than that, I want to know what is in them. I was amazed, no, shocked at the first hit from my first Njoy King. It wasn't just nicotine.
BT added chemicals to make cigarettes more addictive. Why? Because nicotine alone isn't that addictive. BT will use the same tactics in e-liquid as they used in cigarettes. The only hope we have in regulation is to limit the additives in the e-liquids.
In the early 80's I quit smoking in 2 days. Done. I couldn't stand the smell of a cigarette.
I started again in the late 80's and when I tried to quit in the mid 90's, the cravings never subsided. Never. My brain was re-wired. It's never been the same.
I want regulation to say nothing but tobacco in cigarettes, nothing but tobacco in e-liquid. Period. Add you own flavoring or buy it from a supplier.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
If the FDA wants to do something, they should ban all additives from tobacco products.

It's not so much the additives that are the problem, at least in terms of adverse health effects. It's the irradiated soil in which American cigarette tobacco is grown, which results in irradiated tobacco, which results in an incidence of smoking-related cancers among American smokers (and anyone else who smokes American cigarettes) that's higher than that of any other country.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
If the FDA wants to do something, they should ban all additives from tobacco products. A cigarette should be a cigarette. Period. See how many kids smoke them then.

I used to stuff my own with organic, no added chemicals, flavorings/ preservatives tobacco. They were actually stronger and had more nicotine than any commercial cigarettes...

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Njoy came from their NJOY PRO into the NJOY KING. That was their big intro back into the ecig market. They priced themselves out of the market with a fantastic "2 pack" device that lasted 2 hours @$6.00 ea. They were great, as an intro, but who is going to pay that?

My concern is and will always be, coming from big tobacco, what is in the device/liquid? I love the Njoy Kings! I won't pay their price for them. More than that, I want to know what is in them. I was amazed, no, shocked at the first hit from my first Njoy King. It wasn't just nicotine.
BT added chemicals to make cigarettes more addictive. Why? Because nicotine alone isn't that addictive. BT will use the same tactics in e-liquid as they used in cigarettes. The only hope we have in regulation is to limit the additives in the e-liquids.
In the early 80's I quit smoking in 2 days. Done. I couldn't stand the smell of a cigarette.
I started again in the late 80's and when I tried to quit in the mid 90's, the cravings never subsided. Never. My brain was re-wired. It's never been the same.
I want regulation to say nothing but tobacco in cigarettes, nothing but tobacco in e-liquid. Period. Add you own flavoring or buy it from a supplier.

So you think only liquid nicotine should be available? No flavors? I buy from trusted vendors. If there were nefarious chemicals in e-liquid, it would have been in the news by now. I know if I were against e-cigarettes I would have e-liquid tested from lots of vendors hoping to find 'secret' additives or harmful substances- like in custards and publish the results if they suited my needs.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
So you think only liquid nicotine should be available? No flavors? I buy from trusted vendors. If there were nefarious chemicals in e-liquid, it would have been in the news by now. I know if I were against e-cigarettes I would have e-liquid tested from lots of vendors hoping to find 'secret' additives or harmful substances- like in custards and publish the results if they suited my needs.

The paradigm that governs cigarette sales just can't be applied to e-cig and e-liquid sales, and if we get into the whole "any tobacco company-made product is poison because it's made by a tobacco company" game, then we're guilty of the same magical-thinking fallacies that people like Stan Glantz make their living on.

Cigarettes are a product with the potential to sicken and kill people no matter how conscientiously they're manufactured. That makes them fundamentally different from vapor products. The maker of an inherently non-harmful product (whether or not they're a tobacco company) has nothing to gain by intentionally making it harmful. On the other hand, the maker of an inherently harmful product, that people already know is bad for them, has something to gain by making it more enticing to the customer.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
The paradigm that governs cigarette sales just can't be applied to e-cig and e-liquid sales, and if we get into the whole "any tobacco company-made product is poison because it's made by a tobacco company" game, then we're guilty of the same magical-thinking fallacies that people like Stan Glantz make their living on.

Cigarettes are a product with the potential to sicken and kill people no matter how conscientiously they're manufactured. That makes them fundamentally different from vapor products. The maker of an inherently non-harmful product (whether or not they're a tobacco company) has nothing to gain by intentionally making it harmful. On the other hand, the maker of an inherently harmful product, that people already know is bad for them, has something to gain by making it more enticing to the customer.

It is those who have no idea what they are putting in their e-liquid or in what concentrations that I would be worried about, not those with a nefarious agenda...

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
There is nothing in ecigs that will stop BT from the same tactics they have used before unless they are prohibited from adding anything to tobacco products.
Can do this through genetic modification? I don't know. But don't you care?

If you're going to descend into emotional hysterics, I'm not going to have a discussion with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread