New Provari - couple of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottin

Jul 15, 2013
Indiana
I'd post this in the Provari section, but it won't let me even with 5+ posts. So I got my Provari mini yesterday with the IBtanked 19mm XL tanks and 3.2 ohm Smok 2 hole cartos. Loaded it with Bloog 24 mg RY4 (what I had on hand). Didn't get the first one primed well and burnt it. Did a hot swap with a properly primed carto and didn't burn the second one. However, I can't get much flavor from it. I've played around with the voltage from 3.5 to 5. I'm getting a lot of vapor at any setting, but anything below 4.5 is 'cold' (and no flavor). Seems like as I go up closer to 5, I start to get a bit of a burnt taste. 4.7 gets me a little warmth, no burn - but no flavor. What am I doing wrong that I'm not getting any flavor? I get a lot more flavor from the same bottle of juice from my Bloog 650 ( Until I start to get the burnt taste). Wrong settings? cartos? juice? Also, it seems like the carto / tank should fit tighter than it does? Just seems a little sloppy? Maybe I'm just accustomed to my 650 where everything bolts down tight? If I switched to an atomizer tank, do those fit tighter since the atomizer is more part of the tank vs. something that simply slides over the connection? TIA. *And I apologize for the single paragraph - it won't let me create paragraphs either*

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
I don't suppose you know the PG/VG ratio of the juice. Higher VG juice will produce more vapor, VG is thicker and doesn't wick as well, which can lead to dry hits, it is also sweeter and can mask the flavor.

I don't know if the IBTanked will fit on the Bloog, or the Bloog delivery systems (tanks, carto's) will fit on the Provari. If so, try swapping them and see what happens. It could be the filling (white material) in the carto is masking the flavor, some claim this happens, others claim cartos give the cleanest taste.

As for the loose fitting, if you mean the tank sliding up down, that can happen with freshly filled tanks, ejuice is sort of a lubricant. If it is the connection to the Provari, that would probably be the carto threads. You could try a decent clearomizer on the Provari if you have one, or some different cartos in the tank.

Two things I am relatively sure of, the Tank itself is not the problem, and the Provari is not the problem. Have you checked the resistance of the cartos on the Provari? They may not be 3.2 ohms.

Last edited:

scottin

Jul 15, 2013
Indiana
From my research, it's 90PG / 10VG. Could that be the issue?

As far as the carto not fitting 'tight' - someone mentioned it. The tank spins on the carto so it doesn't go down to what I would consider 'finger tight'. guess it's just different than what I know. On my Bloog, everything is threaded so it all goes together tightly. It would be like if the tank locked into the carto vs. just sitting on it.

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
Ejuice can act as a lubricant, let the tank sit for awhile before trying to put it on the Provari. It probably shouldn't be loose enough that you can't screw it down snug, might want to contact IBTanked about. Could be bad orings on the inside of the caps where the carto goes.

That ratio of juice shouldn't cause the problem, it would be a thin juice and more prone to flooding than anything. Flooding would cause gurgling and you could tell from the sound.

The best thing I can tell you is to try another topper(tank, clearo) if you have one and see where that gets you. I repeat, I would contact IBTanked if the tank spins on the carto so badly you can't screw it down. I am sure you know this, but the Provari use a 510 connection, good luck.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have 12 IBTanks, have 2 Provari's, and have used Smoktech cartos in the IBTanks, so I feel I'm qualified to offer some ideas.

A newly set up cartotank may appear "loose" due to the eliquid acting as a lubricant. Eventually the o-rings will tighten up onto the carto and the tank should not be able to spin on the carto as freely as before. In the meantime, use a drip tip that is wider than the cartomizer or at least fits snug in the carto; use that drip tip (and not the tank itself) to screw the cartotank onto the Provari's connector.
___

I'm not sure what to make of the "flavor" issue. My first thought is the carto not being adequately primed before putting it into the tank. You didn't describe the method that you used, but for convenience sake I'll show you the method that I use:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3710-5-cartomizer-tank-setup.html

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
I have 12 IBTanks, have 2 Provari's, and have used Smoktech cartos in the IBTanks, so I feel I'm qualified to offer some ideas.

A newly set up cartotank may appear "loose" due to the eliquid acting as a lubricant. Eventually the o-rings will tighten up onto the carto and the tank should not be able to spin on the carto as freely as before. In the meantime, use a drip tip that is wider than the cartomizer or at least fits snug in the carto; use that drip tip (and not the tank itself) to screw the cartotank onto the Provari's connector.
___

I'm not sure what to make of the "flavor" issue. My first thought is the carto not being adequately primed before putting it into the tank. You didn't describe the method that you used, but for convenience sake I'll show you the method that I use:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3710-5-cartomizer-tank-setup.html

The drip tip, now why didn't I think of that :facepalm: . If Baditude can't get you going Scottin, I don't know who can.

Adam Barde

Moved On
Jul 6, 2013
Lee county , Florida
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

scottin

Jul 15, 2013
Indiana
I think you guys nailed it with the juice acting as a lubricant. After I let it sit for a while I was able to give it another 1/8 of a turn and the (slight) wobble is gone now.

Still not sure what to make of the juice issue. Maybe it's just different because I'm coming from a atty set-up. But hitting my bloog vs. the Provari is completely different.

Other than that, I like the Provari. On my Bloog (and my previous, cigalike Bloogs) the hits were so inconsistent it was like spinning the big wheel to see what came up! Will probably still hang onto my Bloog for stealth reasons, but the Provari is now my go-to. Next thing on my list is a cigar tube holder. I'm thinking a single for short use and then a double where I can pack a battery and some liquid or an extra tank for all day excursions.

Newportlocal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
Orange County,Calif.
I have the exact set up on my provari mini right now. I filled my carto while blocking the hole with a piece of plastic fork tine, did a thermometer shake, filled my tank using a slap yo momma tool. Running at 5.3 with some RW vapor pineapple vaping great. Sorry you are having issues.
9cb20d909edb3139fb5774598da919ba.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread