Ludo

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2008
China
www.janty.com
WHO | Marketers of electronic cigarettes should halt unproved therapy claims

Marketers of electronic cigarettes should halt unproved therapy claims

19 September 2008 | GENEVA -- Contrary to what some marketers of the electronic cigarette imply in their advertisements, the World Health Organization (WHO) does not consider it to be a legitimate therapy for smokers trying to quit.

Related links
WHO's tobacco Free Initiative

Health topic: tobacco
"The electronic cigarette is not a proven nicotine replacement therapy," said Dr Ala Alwan, Assistant Director-General of WHO's Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health Cluster. "WHO has no scientific evidence to confirm the product's safety and efficacy. Its marketers should immediately remove from their web sites and other informational materials any suggestion that WHO considers it to be a safe and effective smoking cessation aid."

The typical electronic cigarette is made of stainless steel, has a chamber for storing liquid nicotine in various concentrations, is powered by a rechargeable battery and resembles a real cigarette. Users puff on it as they would a real cigarette, but they do not light it, and it produces no smoke. Rather, it produces a fine, heated mist, which is absorbed into the lungs.

Developed in China in 2004, the electronic cigarette is sold there and in numerous other countries, including Brazil, Canada, Finland, Israel, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Sweden, Turkey and the United Kingdom.

Marketers of the electronic cigarette typically describe it as a means to help smokers break their addictions to tobacco. Some have even gone so far as to imply that WHO views it as a legitimate nicotine replacement therapy like nicotine gum, lozenges and patches.

But WHO knows of no evidentiary basis for the marketers' claim that the electronic cigarette helps people quit smoking. Indeed, as far as WHO is aware, no rigorous, peer-reviewed studies have been conducted showing that the electronic cigarette is a safe and effective nicotine replacement therapy.

WHO does not discount the possibility that the electronic cigarette could be useful as a smoking cessation aid. The only way to know is to test.

"If the marketers of the electronic cigarette want to help smokers quit, then they need to conduct clinical studies and toxicity analyses and operate within the proper regulatory framework," said Douglas Bettcher, Director a.i. of WHO's Tobacco Free Initiative. "Until they do that, WHO cannot consider the electronic cigarette to be an appropriate nicotine replacement therapy, and it certainly cannot accept false suggestions that it has approved and endorsed the product. "

The WHO Study Group on Tobacco Product Regulation is scheduled to address the electronic cigarette, among other topics, 12-14 November 2008 in Durban, South Africa. Convened by WHO Director-General Dr Margaret Chan, its mandate is to advise her on scientifically sound and evidence-based recommendations to the Member States about tobacco product regulation.

Here we go :(

I am going to buy as much stuff as i can, as fast as i can afford it.
Crunch time is comeing soon,
the sharks are starting to smell the blood in the water. :(
If the WHO made that official, the US will use their decision, because our people are to lazy in most cases.

*I dont think they will test, they want the manufactures to pay for the tests.

Ludo

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2008
China
www.janty.com
WHO condemns electronic cigarettes

WHO condemns electronic cigarettes

Strike a light and stub a ...

By C Shanti @ Friday, September 19, 2008 10:18 AM

The World Health Organization (WHO) said that firms selling electronic cigarettes shouldn't portray them as aids to help people stop smoking the real things.

Dr Ala Alwan, assistant director general of the organizations Noncommunicable Diseases unit, said: "The electronic cigarette is not a proven nicotine replacement therapy. WHO has no scientific evidence to confirm the product's safety and efficacy. Its markets should immediately remove from their web sites... any suggestion that WHO considers it to be a safe and effective smoking cessation aid."

A number of countries allow sales of the electronic ..., which creates a fine mist and uses a battery to deliver the hit. A typical cartridge is the equivalent of 25 cigarettes and costs about £1 a cartridge. A packet of 20 cigarettes in the UK can cost as much as £6.30 in the West End of London.

The cigarettes are marketed by a number of different companies. Gamucci, for example, presents the steel barrelled unit as a glamour accessory, as this totally gratuitous and unnecessary picture from its web site shows.

A nationwide smoking ban is to be imposed on India starting in early October, as we reported earlier this week. X

THE LOBBY HAS RECEIVED MONEY :mad:

Anyway...it is all BS, coz WHO comes together in november and I recon when they do the tests themselves they will have to conclude to ban concerts and events too, coz imagine so many people have cancer from going to concerts and singers die because of the fogmachines...

can't believe this BS... it's all about money of course

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
people do develop lung cancer from living in areas with high traffic. can WHO advise my government to supply me with a gas mask while im outside. can they please advise automobile manufacturers to conduct studies as to whether inhaling the noxious fumes emmited from gas tanks are dangerous and label their product accordingly?

ned Zeppelin

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2008
uk
Janty: coz imagine so many people have cancer from going to concerts and singers die because of the fogmachines...

HAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!

The fog machines used to make me cough when I was sat on my drums at the back of the stage in the arena and they tend to use more of this fog while doing TV shows but the funny part is you can't see where the hell you are hitting the drums.

But the worst people for smoke is the British country music fanatics that use guns for their shootouts as this gets in your chest and puts a smear of dust over your equipment. Oh yes they are blanks by the way.

But I certainly don't get any of these problems while smoking an electronic cigarette.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
bunch of bull- people HAVE quit using hte product and quite frankly, it's helped MANY people cut down on their real cigarette consumption- the WHO is going to have a real hard time proving the device is of NO value at all in helping people quit- even if a minority of people quit, it can still be called a help-quit device- period! IF NOONE was able to quit- then the WHO would have a case- however, testimony will prove out that some people ARE able to quit0- end of story

ned Zeppelin

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2008
uk
bunch of bull- people HAVE quit using hte product and quite frankly, it's helped MANY people cut down on their real cigarette consumption- the WHO is going to have a real hard time proving the device is of NO value at all in helping people quit- even if a minority of people quit, it can still be called a help-quit device- period! IF NOONE was able to quit- then the WHO would have a case- however, testimony will prove out that some people ARE able to quit0- end of story

I gave one on my employees a 901 roughly about six weeks ago as she aimed to give up smoking for ever. But not using it as a substitute. She used this for around three weeks plus staying on high-strength cartridges.

And for the last two weeks she hasn't felt like smoking either a real cigarette or electronic cigarettes. So far this has been a success .

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Anecdotes mean nothing to regulators. End of story. You know better, Naz. You've read this forum for a long time. You want to quit smoking? There are patches and gums and lozenges and nasal sprays and inhalers ... I know, they don't work well for everyone. But they all went through rigorous and expensive clinical trials before they were approved and marketed. They are officially approved smoking cessation devices.

Our story? Hey, some folks quit! "My Uncle Fred smoked his last real cig ...."

That means nothing to WHO and government agencies. As for what smokers want, that's irrelevant too. The majority just wants us ... gone. And a cute end run around no smoking regulations makes 'em even more determined to write a ban on e-smoking into law. We look too much like what is banned.

Our only hope is that these are categorized as personal vaporizers. Those are legal. Already sold. Say one word about "smoking" to regulators or a government agency and these are dead meat. And the more these devices look like real cigarettes, the quicker they will disappear from the marketplace.

smoking gnu

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2008
Wales
I think your right Bob about the more they look like real cigs. I also think the 36 mg liquids will giving them a very big stick to beat us with. I’ve seen some stuff on the net about the 18 mg and the joy police really don’t like that. So when do you think the sh*@t will hit the fan, and how extreme do you think this will get. Total ban? don’t get me wrong I welcome proper medical research into e smoking, after all most of us are doing this for our health, instead of lighting up , and I may add feel much better for it, well I do anyway. But we need to know the scores on the doors. It might get tough but that was inevitable, lets hope this is as safe as we hope, and that common sense prevails.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
Anecdotes mean nothing to regulators. End of story. You know better, Naz. You've read this forum for a long time. You want to quit smoking? There are patches and gums and lozenges and nasal sprays and inhalers ... I know, they don't work well for everyone. But they all went through rigorous and expensive clinical trials before they were approved and marketed. They are officially approved smoking cessation devices.

Our story? Hey, some folks quit! "My Uncle Fred smoked his last real cig ...."

That means nothing to WHO and government agencies. As for what smokers want, that's irrelevant too. The majority just wants us ... gone. And a cute end run around no smoking regulations makes 'em even more determined to write a ban on e-smoking into law. We look too much like what is banned.

Our only hope is that these are categorized as personal vaporizers. Those are legal. Already sold. Say one word about "smoking" to regulators or a government agency and these are dead meat. And the more these devices look like real cigarettes, the quicker they will disappear from the marketplace.

It doesn't matter- the point will be that they- the WHO, will have to prove that it has no effect before they can make hte claim that it is not a stop-smoking help- the fact is that it has helped poeple stop smoking- I'm not talking about anectdotal testimonies or claims that can't be substantiated, the claims being made are reproducible facts- I understand what you are tryign to say as many many anectdotal evidences that CAN'T be backed up are attached to 'health products' like herbs and mineral/vitimin combos, but these can't be proven and may indeed be chalked up to the power of suggestion- however, the E-Cig is in a much different catagory that unsubstantiated health claims by other health products that cna't bwe proven one way or hte other. In a clinical setting, under controlled scrutiny, it will be found that the Ecigg can indeed help some to quit- Not that hte product even has to be marketted as such a device, but hte WHO is being dishonest in their accusations against hte product, and their claims won't stand up under scrutiny

Our only hope is that these are categorized as personal vaporizers. Those are legal. Already sold. Say one word about "smoking" to regulators or a government agency and these are dead meat.

There is no smoking involved- IF the WHO wants to ban these they will either have to prove that the vapor is detrimental to bystanders, OR, they will have to prove that the Nicotine in the devices should be regulated- I suspect the latter will happen as the first can't be proven. But mind you- IF these becoem regulated, the prices wil lincrease- however, with enough clinical trials, the insurance companies might pay for them

Also remember that Dr Loi's reports will be coming out soon which will help give credence to the fact that therse are not just anectdotal evidences, but true substiantable evidences on our side- All is not lost just yet- We just have to watch whther hte WHO starts to demand that the Nicotine start being regulated by pharmaceuticals or not

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I want to share your optimism, Naz. But the burden of proof is reversed from the way you think of it. First off, WHO can't ban them. It will advise nations. But when proof of efficacy is required -- and it will be -- it will be e-smoking, not WHO, from which proof in the form of clinical trials is demanded. And it's Ruyan now funding Dr. Laugesen's trials in New Zealand that we will need as proof. Dr. Loi got clobbered by his government and it is unlikely he will have scientific trial evidence as a result. His results, sadly, will be anecdotal.

Think of it this way: Governments don't need proof to ban, but companies need proof to market a product. You're familiar enough with this to understand that governments will be view these as drug delivery devices that deliver a highly addictive and potentially poisonous substance to addicts and encourage new users (give us a chorus of "young people!") by making it seem pleasurable and desirable. Those allegations alone could cause a ban. And what other possible use does an e-cig have except to deliver a regulated drug?

Factor in the future loss of tobacco tax revenue, the blow to Big Pharma and Big Tobacco that acceptance would bring, the unknowns and unprovables, and you have plenty of reason to say -- STOP until we know it all and have in place measures acceptable to all parties.

I do think any knockout punch is quite a ways down the road, however. Thank goodness, bureaucracy moves slow ... unless the national economy is plunging us into Depression, of course. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread