Status
Not open for further replies.

kaykay

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2011
concrete jungle
Contrary to FDA recommendations that electronic cigarette users should switch to FDA-approved smoking cessation products, new research published in the International Journal of Clinical Practice, conducted by J. Fouls, a professor at Penn State University, College of Medicine, Cancer Institute, confirms that the change could reverse the health gain achieved. Health risks associated with the use of e- cigs are likely much smaller (if any) than smoking traditional cigarettes and can potentially yield a large health benefit. Yet, the FDA and other anti-smoking organizations continue to adamantly claim electronic cigarettes are dangerous for your health. Electronic cigarettes are not FDA approved as smoking cessation products. The administration classified them as a tobacco product in April, 2011. Now, a growing number of survey-based evidence shows that e-cigs are being used successfully by smokers to quit smoking, the majority of which had previously tried FDA-approved nicotine replacement therapies (NRT) unsuccessfully. This is their primary motive for starting to use-ecigs, especially for long-time smokers. Perhaps more importantly, the reason why the e-cig appears to work so well for those desiring to quit is that it mimics cigarette smoking so closely while removing the hazards of inhaling smoke. In fact, findings reveal that a high proportion of e-cig users completely replace cigarette smoking with e-cig use—much higher than any FDA approved gums, patches and drugs.
Oddly enough, organizations such as the American Lung Association (ALA), the American Cancer Society (ACS) and the FDA, which stand to protect and promote health, are alleging risks associated with the use of electronic cigarettes without substantial evidence or research to back their claims. They assert that there is no scientific evidence about the safety of electronic cigarettes and that they are not a safe alternative to cigarettes. Yet, along with other independently published research, they recommend that smokers use FDA approved NRT’s which they deem acceptable permanent substitutes for smoking.
Nevertheless, even the highest daily dose of e-cig liquid contains the same amount of tobacco-specific nitrosamines (carcinogens) as a one-day supply of FDA-approved nicotine patch. Chantix initially dubbed a miracle drug, has such adverse effects including depression and suicidal thoughts that both the Department of Defense and the Federal Aviation Administration required that personnel operating aircrafts and/or missile crew members not take the drug. Furthermore, all FDA-approved NTR’s fail to compensate for an important physical element of cigarette-smoking, the hand-to-mouth gesture. Yet they continue to recommend them over other smokeless tobacco alternatives.
Public health experts need to provide truthful information about the relative risks of both FDA-approved NTR’s and electronic cigarettes. Warnings such as “there is no scientific evidence that e-cigarettes are safe or that they can help smokers quit” by the American Cancer Society are misleading half-truths. While no product could ever be 100% safe, warnings by the FDA, ALA and ACS amongst others, often imply that the health risks associated with the use e-cigs are potentially higher to the risks of smoking, which is far from the truth. In his study, Penn State Professor J. Foulds, states that “for those who have successfully switched to e-cigs, the priority should be staying off cigarettes” proving that recommending that ex-smokers who use electronic cigarettes switch back to FDA approved NTR’s could have devastating health consequences.
As explained by Michael B. Siegel is a professor of community health sciences at the Boston University School of Public Health “the distinct and unique advantage of e-cigarettes is that they allow individuals to utilize one device that can simultaneously address nicotine withdrawal, psychological factors, and behavioral cues that serve as barriers to smoking abstinence. The fınding that most individuals who used e-cigarettes at least reduced the number of tobacco cigarettes they smoked suggests that if proven safe, e-cigarettes may be a potentially important tool for harm reduction, especially among smokers who have found currently available pharmaceutical smoking-cessation options to be ineffective.”
Article Author: Barbara Celine:vapor:

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
Is this the article? http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1742-1241.2011.02751.x/abstract

Maybe I'm looking at wrong article, this article by J. Fouls offered this conclusion: :(

"Conclusion:  Until we have more evidence on the safety and efficacy of e-cigs for smoking cessation, smokers should be advised to use proven treatments (e.g. counselling and FDA-approved medicines). However, for those who have successfully switched to e-cigs, the priority should be staying off cigarettes, rather than quitting e-cigs."

kaykay

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2011
concrete jungle
Is this the article? Electronic cigarettes (e-cigs): views of aficionados and clinical/public health perspectives - Foulds - 2011 - International Journal of Clinical Practice - Wiley Online Library

Maybe I'm looking at wrong article, this article by J. Fouls offered this conclusion: :(

"Conclusion:  Until we have more evidence on the safety and efficacy of e-cigs for smoking cessation, smokers should be advised to use proven treatments (e.g. counselling and FDA-approved medicines). However, for those who have successfully switched to e-cigs, the priority should be staying off cigarettes, rather than quitting e-cigs."
whats ur point man ur losing me?...lol..

lexi60

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2010
utah
i tried chantix,and i swear to everything i will never take or recommend that drug...the nightmares i was having were so vivid...scared the begeezees out of me....waking up in cold sweats yelling from the top of ur lungs with a newborn and a wife next t u not a pretty site.lol

Almost the same exact story with me.
Chantix had me so messed up. My family said they'd leave me if I was to try it again..but e cigs made a world of changes for me.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

blushdrip

Jul 24, 2011
IL, USA

Seems to me that the conclusion includes the necessary verbiage to prevent personal liability -- not necessarily the honest opinions of the author. I think it's a read-between-the-lines kind of red-tape dance.

Last edited:

kaykay

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2011
concrete jungle
it just kills me how these fda ppl who probably never put a damn cig in there mouth think they know what is best to quit...i tried everything trust me..i'm only 3months in to vaping and i can assure u that there is no way in hell that i will pic up another cig....i love and enjoy vaping...my goal is to get down-to 0 nic and try quitting all together ....started @ 24 now i vape 18 and 12...but if all else fails at least i know exactly whet i'm putting in to my body....from the 4000+ chemicals in a cigarette i can probably only name 3.

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
whats ur point man ur losing me?...lol..

My point is unfortunately, the article conclusion says this "...smokers should be advised to use proven treatments (e.g. counselling and FDA-approved medicines)", which supports drugs not e-cig. Sucks.

Edit: I'm on my 5th month and don't plan to go back, just to clarify my position.

DawnBella

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2011
USA
it just kills me how these fda ppl who probably never put a damn cig in there mouth think they know what is best to quit...i tried everything trust me..i'm only 3months in to vaping and i can assure u that there is no way in hell that i will pic up another cig....i love and enjoy vaping...my goal is to get down-to 0 nic and try quitting all together ....started @ 24 now i vape 18 and 12...but if all else fails at least i know exactly whet i'm putting in to my body....from the 4000+ chemicals in a cigarette i can probably only name 3.

Agree 100%. I tried the gum (Yuck! and no luck). I tired the patch (Made me dizzy!) I tried Chantix (Made me almost want to kill myself or someone LOL). NOTHING worked. See my signature. The e-cig is a Godsend! It is the ONLY device that has made me stop and the best part, I don't even feel like I have. Because of the e-cig, many of us do not need to buy over taxed $$$ cigs and/or crazy drugs $$$ and THAT is the problem with our e-cig to them! Money lost. It has NOTHING to do with our health. If it did, cigs would be banned from the earth instead of costing more and more and more.

Last edited:

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
The conspiracy of money as it relates to analog smokes ... Tobacco funded the Continental Congress .... much of what we know as America today is based on tobacco .. the same question can be asked of Big Macs being made illegal, they kill people as well over time ... or, how 'bout guns .. ? ... my point is, the Governments war on smoking that's been going on for some time now is real .. Uncle Sam would like smokers to quit .. maybe not the States so much ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread