New Riva 510 First Time Charging Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

isisrose1968

Sep 9, 2011
San Francisco
My new Riva 510 just arrived and I'm a bit confused on the instructions that came with it and don't want to ruin it so I thought I'd come here and ask....

The instructions say to unpack it put it together and that it is ready for use. Then later it says that the first charge should be for 8 hours, use for 20 minutes then charge another hour. After that charge for 3 hours even if light turns green.

My question should I use it first, let the battery go down and then charge it for this amount of time or charge it for 8 hours then use it? I just don't want to fry the battery as I've known some to fry if over charged. I'm thinking if there is already a charge that 8 hour charge before use may fry it.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
All ecigs say that. Two schools of thought - one says do what it says (and I mean right onto the charger) and one says it doesn't matter with lithium ion batteries because they don't have memory (i.e. that you can just charge it and use it). I am no expert.

I do know not to screw anything together further than necessary for function (for an atomizer or charger to work). When a charger is working its cable's light will usually turn red. When done it will be steady blue or glue.

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
Welcome isisrose! You can start using them, will not harm batt. You can also charge them when only half depleted. That will slightly lengthen the batts' life beyond 250-300 recharge advertised.

However, since I'm the paranoid type and had something else to vape meanwhile, I charged them anyway. It only took an hour before charge light turned green, but I left it on charger. Don't leave them charging unattended or overnight just in case of fire.

It's your choice. Happy vaping! :)

alamor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2011
idaho
I have 2 Riva 510 kits. I used my right out of the box, and they are over 7 months old and all the batteries are still going fine. I used 1 battery right out of the box and hooked the other one up to charge. I NEVER let my batteries go totally dead before I recharge them though. I will normally swap out when the one being charged is fully charged. Sometimes I might run them a bit longer. I have been very happy with the Riva kit and I am sure you will too.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Some notes -

if you have a slim 510 too - never charge a slim 510 on the Riva's fast charger cable. If you have slim 510's label both sides of the screw-in part of the Riva cable.

You can learn on cartridges and atomizer but most prefer cartomizers for their favorite juices. I use the atomizer and a drip tip to test juices and for thicker juices and rarely vaped juices, and use Boge cartomizers for my favorite thin daily vapes plus a couple of others for when I want a different taste.

Last edited:

base234

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
Over the edge...
If you want to be careful, charge as per instructions. My experience with Rivas: I used my first kit right out of the box. By the time I got the second kit, I had charged batteries. I don't think it matters with lithium ion batteries. The problem with Riva batteries is that juice will eventually leak into the battery and fry the little circuit board in there. They don't last forever so if you can order a second kit so you'll have extra batteries and atomizers.

JW50

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
USA Kentucky
Kind of with base234. Follow directions on charging. Riva instructions are oddball in my opinion. Don't understand point of leaving on charger even if green. Don't think anything is going to batt while green. But - nonetheless, best to follow manufacturers instructions IMO. Can't remember the exact but instructions also say vape for 20 minutes (?) after the 8 hour episode and then back on charger for an hour. Seems silly but I do it. Wish I could say that all Riva's lasted forever after following their silly instructions - but not the case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread