New setup for a family member. Need some guidance please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2013
Bakersfield, CA, USA
Hey ECF,

Been vaping for about a year and now my dad wants to get back into it after smoking for 30+ years. Problem is I don't really know what to get him. Looking more for tube-ish type mods that aren't going to break the bank (was thinking istick but seems to have a fair amount of issues lately). Looking for user friendly vv or VW for him. He's not really mechanically inclined so I was thinking a simple to use mod and a nautilus mini setup to get him started on. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Vape on!

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Last edited:

Dickyjim

Oct 25, 2014
Bel Air, MD, USA
My first thought was an MVP but as I don't own one I cant speak for the simplicity part (old people and technology don't always mix). The new egrip may be an option VW up to 20 and tank is built in I am looking at buying one (very simple only one button and a dial). Found them at ecigcity for $55. But that doesnt meet the tube requirement. End result these are my suggestions but there are too many options out there.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
This old person loves both her istick and her mvp. I have read a few words about the istick problems but I love mine. Simple to use and enough power to get the job done. A vision spinner is also a very good choice. I've not used a nautilus mini but really like both evod glass and mini davides. Both work very well on all of the above mentioned PV's. Wishing both you and your dad the best of luck on your vaping quest.

chargingcharlie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2014
MA
I started with a Vision Spinner II w/iClear 16 and like it a lot. But, I received my Cool Fire 1 kit today, with the 18650 extension tube, & i30s, and I love it. Super simple, give a great vape (for me), and it looks great. Can't beat the price, either. The kit with i30s is just over $40 (no battery or charger included).

be390b0de9b8b8364f4ac3363a2afe85.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
Hey ECF,

Been vaping for about a year and now my dad wants to get back into it after smoking for 30+ years. Problem is I don't really know what to get him. Looking more for tube-ish type mods that aren't going to break the bank (was thinking istick but seems to have a fair amount of issues lately). Looking for user friendly vv or VW for him. He's not really mechanically inclined so I was thinking a simple to use mod and a nautilus mini setup to get him started on. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Vape on!
Have you any equipement that you have aquired over the year, that he could try first. Get a feel for what he likes and dislikes. Do you have a local B&M you could take him to to get touchy- feely with some options that are available to him. My Mother is 72 and has bad hands, every time I find something I think she will like.....she doesn't. I stick and Mvp are pretty much vape and charge.....tube mods will require batteries and charger.....but man it is really getting hard to make decisions as stuff is coming out soooo fast, soooo many options and PRICES! Good luck and I hope he can find something he likes so he can stick with it! Enjoy!

Ren76

Sep 17, 2014
Manitoba
The mvp is quite simple to use, set it up and let him use it for a few days. Then show him one feature at a time over the course of a week or two. My Pops is the same as yours, doesn't know or care about tech or fixing on his own. He always hits my vape when we visit, I think I might get him one for Christmas, topped with a naught. Might buy myself one too for that matter lol.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
This old person loves both her istick and her mvp. I have read a few words about the istick problems but I love mine. Simple to use and enough power to get the job done. A vision spinner is also a very good choice. I've not used a nautilus mini but really like both evod glass and mini davides. Both work very well on all of the above mentioned PV's. Wishing both you and your dad the best of luck on your vaping quest.

Pull your rocker over here by me.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Pull your rocker over here by me.

Me too! Don't forget about me!;)

<snip> (was thinking istick but seems to have a fair amount of issues lately). Looking for user friendly vv or VW for him. He's not really mechanically inclined so I was thinking a simple to use mod and a nautilus mini setup to get him started on. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Vape on!

I run my Nautilus on the iStick's and my Aerotanks on the MVP's. Also can run rebuildables on both of these as well. The BVC's (bottom vertical coils) in the Nautilus run great at higher wattage so the iStick works well for them.

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Me too! Don't forget about me!;)

I run my Nautilus on the iStick's and my Aerotanks on the MVP's. Also can run rebuildables on both of these as well. The BVC's (bottom vertical coils) in the Nautilus run great at higher wattage so the iStick works well for them.

Of course I didn't mean to leave you out. I just know it takes a little bit longer for you to get your walker up here on the porch.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Well, I see two psychological problems..one, is his age, and the second is he's been smoking for 30+ years. that puts him in the 50+ range. Not knowing his personality, I've noticed that a lot of ex-smokers have a hard time starting ecigs with anything larger than a regular cigarette. I recommend starting with the smallest possible... perhaps a 650 or 900MaH ego style battery. I never recommend starting with a cigalike, since the batteries don't last for too long, and when people first get into vaping, they start off chain vaping.. then ween off from there.

My first recommendation is a vision spinner type. one button, one dial.. and use an atomizer that's as small and easy as possible. Something the same width as the battery would be ideal. Anything larger, and he might look at it suspiciously. IF he's not used to vaping, the odder it looks, the more he will feel embarrassed or afraid to use. Not suggesting you buy this particular one, but THIS is a good look for a starting device.

IF he's comfortable with something bigger, the istick would be my next suggestion. I don't know what issues you are referring to, but I bet they are from vape hobbyests, which are generally picky (like me). It would also open up a wider variety of atomizers for him. Only problem I have heard, is with the center pin...but that is a common problem with other mods. If it has a fixed center pin, chances are you'll be adjusting often to get it to work.

Anyways, that's just my two cents worth... Since I don't know your father, I can't really suggest something ideal for him. Your best bet would be like the others suggested and go to a brick and mortar store just to eye out his options.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Of course I didn't mean to leave you out. I just know it takes a little bit longer for you to get your walker up here on the porch.
(figuratively speaking)
If you only knew!

One of these fine days I'll hobble on over to the Front Porch and introduce myself. Haven't done that yet. And if you have a "hot tub" on the porch that would even be better!;)

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Well, I see two psychological problems..one, is his age, and the second is he's been smoking for 30+ years. that puts him in the 50+ range...

:facepalm: :lol: Ummmm. Yeah, nevermind.

Agree the Spinner is a good choice for him to get used to vaping. He can then decide where he wants to go after that.

mattiem, please pass the cookies if you can muster the strength. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread